The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 12:55am
Back from the DL

We Do Have Allies

JV tournament today. Boys played on the high school court, girls on the middle school court. Format: 20 minute halves running time, stop time the last two minutes. I had two JV girls' games, and left with $60 in cash.

It's a little cramped at the middle school. Bleachers only on one side (about 8-10 deep), benches and table barely over the sideline.

Before our two games, my partner and I watched the prior game from a corner of the gym. There were a few parents openly whining about the officiating, nothing major though. The site director, who was scorekeeping at the table, wasn't having it.

"Folks, let the officials do their jobs! If you don't like it, you can leave!"

The whining stopped.

Cut to our second game, first half. Ball bounces out of bounds in the backcourt (table side), and my partner, who's trailing the play near that sideline, calls Team A ball. I see it differently, so I hustle to him and softly offer what I had. He sticks with his call, and Coach B objects loudly.

From the fan's side comes a big dude's booming voice, "Coach, sit down and let the refs call the game!"

I'm sure the fact that the dude was a Team A parent had nothing to do with it. Still, I don't recall ever hearing the vigilant cries for officials' right to work, twice in one today.