The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Reference help: Ball location (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/88220-reference-help-ball-location.html)

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:02pm

Reference help: Ball location

Can anyone provide a rule, case or manual reference for throw-in location following an off-ball common foul during a throw-in? Fed rules.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 822867)
Can anyone provide a rule, case or manual reference for throw-in location following an off-ball common foul during a throw-in? Fed rules.

The throw-in had not been completed according to your post. So, it would appear that you shoot FTs or it is another throw-in at the spot for either team. That was the position of the ball when the foul occurred. Did someone insist on another location last night?

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:18pm

Yes. Partner thought throw in should move from original spot to new foul location. In the end we got it right but I couldn't think of exactly where to find a reference to confirm our action. Good game by the way. 4A boys...4 point game. Hoping to get a call Sunday for a regional game next week.

BktBallRef Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 822867)

A throw-in always occurs at the designated OOB spot nearest the spot of the foul, except when POI is used.

7-5-4
Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in nearest the foul:
a. After a player-control foul, as in 4-19-6; a team-control foul, as in 4-19-7; or after a common foul prior to the bonus rule being in effect, as in 4-19-2, any player of the offended team shall make the throw-in.

Only when using POI is the location of the ball a factor.

4-36-2
Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:
a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 822873)
Yes. Partner thought throw in should move from original spot to new foul location.

Quesition is can is can you provide a rule that says he's wrong? :)

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 11, 2012 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 822875)

Quesition is can is can you provide a rule that says he's wrong?

Interesting question...not exactly sure how to answer...maybe that's why this bugged me so much last night.

Thanks for the reference BTW.

Adam Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:20pm

Unless it was a double foul, your partner was right.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:25pm

Quote:

Yes. Partner thought throw in should move from original spot to new foul location.

Your partner was right.
Quote:

In the end we got it right but I couldn't think of exactly where to find a reference to confirm our action.

Not if you put it in play at the original spot.
Quote:

Good game by the way. 4A boys...4 point game. Hoping to get a call Sunday for a regional game next week.

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 822887)
Your partner was right.

OK. Reference? 7-5-4 exclusively? I'm thinking because POI really didn't apply to the play.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 822889)
OK. Reference? 7-5-4 exclusively? I'm thinking because POI really didn't apply to the play.

Yes, 7-5-4, because POI is not involved. (This feels circular.)

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 11, 2012 04:17pm

The bad news: In the end, we kicked it...
The good news: The difference in ball position was only about 5 feet, so the affect of our error was negligible...and my instincts told me something was off about it. File this one away for future use.

Thanks all.

Adam Sat Feb 11, 2012 04:43pm

The better news; you own this one now.