The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Team T'd for Wearing Pink

Opposing High School Gets Technical, Complains About Pink-Tinged Uniforms For Charity | The Big Lead

Home team wore pink. Didn't get it approved. Opposing team's AD told his team's coach at halftime. T.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 08:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Learned A Lot About Sportsmanship That Evening ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
Home team wore pink. Didn't get it approved. Opposing team's AD told his team's coach at halftime. T.
As a fourteen year old, I played on a terrible baseball team. There was also another team in the league that was just as bad as us. We finally played each other, both teams winless. Previous to this game there had been a few rainouts. We're the home team. Our best pitcher, Gary Rispoli, throws the first pitch of the game down the middle. Strike.

I'm in centerfield. I see the opposing coach, Mr. Atkinson, come running out of his dugout to speak to the umpire, with a rulebook in his hand. Our coach joins the group, and after a few minutes, he calls us all into the dugout. We forfeited, the umpire is leaving, and we're all going home. Seems that there was some type of innings pitched limit rule, or a pitcher "rest period" rule, that was broken. The rainouts had confused our coach.

Coach Atkinson saw Gary warming up, saw his name listed as a pitcher on the batting order, and never said anything to anybody. He just waited for that first pitch, and then sprang from his dugout to singlehandedly win his first game of the year. Man, he must have been so proud of himself. I bet that that ice cream that he bought for his team after "they won the game" tasted real good.

We were fourteen years old. We didn't care that much about winning, and losing. We just wanted to play baseball that evening. That a**hole Atkinson ruined it for us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 07:12am.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

That AD is a complete idiot!
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Integrity

Fine Mr. Hotshot. Illegal uniforms are penalized when discovered. Everyone in the building discovered the pink at the opening tip, with the exception of your AD who discovered later in the first half. Even if failing to award the merited free throws is correctable, it's too late. Sit down.

The team that decided it needed two shots and the ball to start the second half to maintain the integrity of the game won by 15 and is 16-3.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is a case of "You can be right and be dead at the same time." I agree it is a violation of the rules, but does this really get in the way of the spirit of the rule? The school should have received approval first or at the very least talked to the officials before the contest to not make them the bad guys.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 01:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is a case of "You can be right and be dead at the same time." I agree it is a violation of the rules, but does this really get in the way of the spirit of the rule? The school should have received approval first or at the very least talked to the officials before the contest to not make them the bad guys.

Peace

Jeff:

I agree with you 100%, but there is a bigger problem here and that is the attitude of the Visitor's AD and HC.

I am going be honest and state for the record that I know of only one person in my extended (wife's and my sides) family who had breast cancer and she was on my maternal grandmother's side of the family.

BUT, that is where the AD and HC's attitude needs to be examined. I played basketball in a championship program in high school, but the desire to win would never had been allowed to go down the dark path that these two poor excuses of male half of the human race took.

I have to get ready to leave for a game. Have a good one everybody.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I hold the AD at fault, and NOT the officials. It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that had the officials not enforced the rule, and then the AD contacted the state, that the officials would have been reprimanded.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I just read this article and came here to see if anyone posted on the news. I am embarrassed for this coach and AD. I recently received my coaches certification and the classes all stressed "student centered" teaching and Sportsmanship. You are a teacher and mentor to the kids you coach. You coach/teach by example. What a horrible example these 2 displayed. Let's just hope that by this story going mainstream more money will be raised towards their charity...
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:16pm
C'mon man!!

Would anybody say to the shooting player, "Hey, this technical is a bunch of bologna, but we have to enforce it. Do you want to show some good sportsmanship and miss these two free throws and then give the ball to the other team on your inbounds pass?"

That would be classy and maybe make the AD and HC look like a$$es. Maybe everyone would learn an important lesson.

Not saying it is the right thing to do but a third option. Thoughts?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Would anybody say to the shooting player, "Hey, this technical is a bunch of bologna, but we have to enforce it. Do you want to show some good sportsmanship and miss these two free throws and then give the ball to the other team on your inbounds pass?"

That would be classy and maybe make the AD and HC look like a$$es. Maybe everyone would learn an important lesson.

Hell no
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:32pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

Nah. If the offended team wants to be sporting about it, they can figure it out themselves.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Would anybody say to the shooting player, "Hey, this technical is a bunch of bologna, but we have to enforce it. Do you want to show some good sportsmanship and miss these two free throws and then give the ball to the other team on your inbounds pass?

What are you a soccer official?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not as an official. But when I coached high school there was a game where the officials called one of the worst technical fouls I had and still have witnessed. I told the officials I didn't care and they didn't have to penalize. It had something to do with a stupid uniform rule.

I told my shooter to miss the shots. I had to give the kids a lesson on honor and integrity after that game as they were all whining about that decision of mine. We lost the game by 4.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:21pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Careful....
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:56pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
No but I play soccer. Can't say I have ever seen it in basketball. I wish there was more of it though when players knew the refs got the wrong call. Or for injuries. Yeah a team can try and score four on five but that isn't all that sporting. Just stop the attack to the basket and take the ball out once the officials stop the clock.