The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregame meeting with captains (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87747-pregame-meeting-captains.html)

cdmterp Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:22am

Pregame meeting with captains

I referee in Florida and we are required to meet with each team's captains and also the head coach. The referee for the game introduces himself and the other two referees and then asks each coach if their teams are properly equipped and if each team will display good sportsmanship in the game. The ref asks for the speaking captain for each team and reminds them to take care/handle their team. He also tells each team, "Blue talk to Blue and White talk to White." A reminder about timeouts and that about does it for the pregame meeting.

Does anyone else do anything differently in their meetings? Do you say anything else to the coaches? Do you tell players anything about how you're going to call the game? Just curious because I always feel like I want to say something else but don't know what. Any feedback would be appreciated.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:28am

1000 other threads on this. THe general consensus is "the shorter the better." What you have in your first paragraph, other than the last 2sentences, is fine.

doubleringer Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:30am

I introduce my partners and myself. Tell the coaches and captains that sportsmanship is a priortity, they are the captains and the coaches, please be a role model for everyone in the gym and do a nice job of representing your school. Coaches, first horn please break the huddle, players, on the second horn we want to put it in play.

Two things I personally never do is talk to players about what kind of contact will be allowed or ask for questions. Early in the year I may mention getting rid of jewelry and such if it looks like it may be an issue.

zm1283 Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:50am

"Move your feet on defense, we will try to talk you out of fouls early" :rolleyes:

wfd21 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08am

Had a competitive GV game last night. Told coaches and captains not to scream at us as they would hurt our feelings:eek:

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08am

Last night:

Captain's meeting: "Listen to your coaches, talk to your teammates"

Meeting with visiting coach: "BadNewsRef. You see where the box is?"
"Yes" "Cool, that's all I got"

Freddy Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15am

I'm Sure I'm Gonna Hear It Sometime

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 820972)
"Move your feet on defense, we will try to talk you out of fouls early" :rolleyes:

"Tonight we're gonna play the black line all the way around. Oh, wait a minute, it's Thursday, isn't it? On Thursdays the bleachers are out-of-bounds...." :rolleyes:

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29am

I've never asked for a speaking captain, and I don't plan on it. I would forget as soon as the meeting was over.

By this time of season, they've heard it so many times. A partner recently told me that when they got together, a coach said "Everyone's properly equipped, we know the concussion rule, we'll let you know on timeouts, they'll display good sportsmanship, did I forget anything?"

The shorter the better.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34am

captains:
"You know who your knuckleheads are. Take care of them so we don't have to."

coaches:
"Help us on timeouts so we don't have to guess. Get them out on the second horn. There's the coaching box."

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36am

And never, ever, ever, add anything.

Smitty Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 820993)
And never, ever, ever, add anything.

Amen.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 821009)
Amen.

I've had partners add various things, including the "we'll talk you out of stuff" and "who are the speaking captains?"

Smitty Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821010)
I've had partners add various things, including the "we'll talk you out of stuff" and "who are the speaking captains?"

I know - it irritates me as well. I was just agreeing with you without using +1. When I'm the R I tell my partner(s) in pregame that I am not asking for speaking captains and please don't ask for them. Half of them still do.

Rich Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53am

My entire captain's meeting the other night after the introductions and all the permutations of handshakes.

"Be good sports and have fun."

(One of the captains was so impressed with the brevity of my meeting, that she said, "That's it? COOL!")

One of my regular partners says I have the shortest captain's meeting and spend the longest time at the table. It's either that or spend 10-ish minutes back opposite the table with him. :D

I never ask my partners for input -- it keeps them from having any. I simply turn (I stand tableside with my back to the table when I'm the R) and go right to the table.

fullor30 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19pm

Lets have a fun, fair, safe game........we'll do the fair part.

bainsey Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 821011)
When I'm the R I tell my partner(s) in pregame that I am not asking for speaking captains and please don't ask for them. Half of them still do.

There are those that strongly believe in speaking captains, and you're not going to change their minds.

Two partners have pitched to me that we're raising leaders in captains. If they want them that badly, I just let it happen. It's not worth the debate.

zm1283 Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:36pm

I don't ask for speaking captains either. I'm the exception and not the rule locally.

"You're all captains, take care of your teams on the court. Good sportsmanship is expected, good luck and have fun. Coaches, please communicate to us which type of timeout you want".

That's it.

tref Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 821138)
I don't ask for speaking captains either. I'm the exception and not the rule locally.

+1

Had a partner come over the top of me & ask for numbers. This was after I stated in our pregame how I didnt care who asked me questions, just as long as they asked respectfully.

End of 4th Q, I ask him "what are our speaking captains numbers again?"
Of course he went Ralph Kramden on me :rolleyes:

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:50pm

Last week.

Meeting with out-of-area visiting coach whose tieam has a noticeable size disadvantage:

me: "BadNewsRef. Good luck. If you have any questions during the game just ask"
HC: "Do you have any points of emphasis for me?"
me: "Huh, just to enforce the rules"
HC: "Last time we played this team it got pretty physical. There were almost a couple of skirmishes" :rolleyes:
me: "Oh, well we have something to take of that--our whistles" End of 1st quarter:

Team foul count = 1 - 0 (easy PC foul on visitors)
Halftime: Team foul count = 5 - 3
Final total for game = 11 - 11 :cool:

RookieDude Tue Feb 07, 2012 02:55pm

I don't ask for speaking captains...why would I? I let any player that wants to talk to me REPSECTFULLY talk to me.

Coaches: "Hi Coach, let's have fun tonight! If you see anything, don't be afraid to let us know...(usually get a wry smile)We'll let you know if it's too much!"

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 821151)
End of 4th Q, I ask him "what are our speaking captains numbers again?"
Of course he went Ralph Kramden on me :rolleyes:

Hah! I may have to try this sometime. :D

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:18pm

I do say "Mr. U1, Mr. U2, Mr BNR" and ask "who's talking" at the captain's meeting, but only out of habit b/c all the guys who have mentored me have always done it. Now that I think of it I'm using it as a transitional bridge to get the captains attention instead of just jumping in and saying "You take care of yours and you take care of yours". (and no me saying "Mr" has never made me unapproachable ;) )

Still after all the fist bumps/handshakes the speaking part of my meeting lasts no more than 10-15 seconds.

BillyMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:45pm

Short And Sweet ...

"Make sure that your players are properly equipped, that they know how to wear their uniforms properly, and we want everyone to practice good sportsmanship. And most importantly, it's the black line all the way around".

BillyMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:46pm

These Are A Few Years Old ...

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:51pm

All politics is local

FHSAA wants officials to be consistent in all areas, so that when they assign mixed crews from different associations, the teams know what to expect. Some things like speaking captains seem to be overkill, but that is what FHSAA wants of its officials. If there is anything unusual about the court, and last night's district playoff game had something, I will mention it. I ask the coaches their required questions & dismiss them. Then I take a few seconds with the players to cover anything else required by FHSAA. I ask my partners if they have anything, and they both shake their heads "no", and then I tell 'em to have fun, and head to the table. We are supposed to do the 12, 10 & 1 routine, and if there is any longwindedness at the meeting, then I don't get to the table in time.

McMac Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 820989)
I've never asked for a speaking captain, and I don't plan on it. I would forget as soon as the meeting was over.

By this time of season, they've heard it so many times. A partner recently told me that when they got together, a coach said "Everyone's properly equipped, we know the concussion rule, we'll let you know on timeouts, they'll display good sportsmanship, did I forget anything?"

The shorter the better.

Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Partner was R (2-whistle), visiting coach said everything and we said, "Yep, that will cover it."

YooperReferee Wed Feb 08, 2012 08:43am

My partner came up with a good one lastnight. Its getting close to end of season and most players get the same old sportsmanship/play fair, etc pregame speech. Referee asks for spokesman for each team. He pulls out a quarter from his pocket and says, "no jump ball tonight guys, visiting team you are heads, home team, tails. Visiting team call it in the air to determine who gets ball first. They all looked dumbfounded and we all started laughing and then did our usual pregame stuff,,,,,

Larks Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05am

My short one

"Questions? Have a good game."

My long one

"Take care of your teams. If you have a questions come see us, we will answer. If you play basketball, we'll leave you alone and if you dont, we'll blow the whistle. Put it in the hole."

I dont ask for the speakers anymore either.

Ignats75 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39am

I never ask for speaking captains either. Why denigrate two other kids by making them join the meeting only to ignore them?

"If you run into the cheerleaders, keep your hands down."

VaTerp Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27am

I don't really know the purpose of asking for speaking captains either but I do it b/c it's standard practice here. It really just serves as a way to transition from the handshakes and the kids expect it.

After that I say something along the lines of "sportsmanship at all times, have fun, put it in the basket. Any questions.....ask these guys," and then I walk over to the table.

Last night I was the U1 and our normal pre-game was interrupted for senior night. The R, who I've worked with before and really like as an official, told me to go ahead and do the capt meeting while he took care of the table. So I used what I typically hear him say:

"Shirts tucked, shorts up, mouths shut. Any questions?"

McMac Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44pm

FAQs

To mix it up in the later parts of the season, I start asking them questions.

I intro the officials, ask for speaking captains, point out the lines to the visitors then get into the Q&A.
"So gentlemen/ladies, where do your jerseys belong? And your pants?
Where do you report for substitutions? And when do you come on the court?
Blue, you knock down white, what will you do? White, you knock down blue, what will you do? Basketball is a great game, now go have fun."

BillyMac Thu Feb 09, 2012 07:05am

All The Way Around ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 821255)
And most importantly, it's the black line all the way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 821848)
Point out the lines to the visitors.

I was just doing some "chain yanking".

McMac: Your move?

Smitty Thu Feb 09, 2012 08:41am

Quote:

To mix it up in the later parts of the season, I start asking them questions.

I intro the officials, ask for speaking captains, point out the lines to the visitors then get into the Q&A.
"So gentlemen/ladies, where do your jerseys belong? And your pants?
Where do you report for substitutions? And when do you come on the court?
Blue, you knock down white, what will you do? White, you knock down blue, what will you do? Basketball is a great game, now go have fun."

You're joking about all of this, right? Please? You lost me at pointing out the lines on the court, and it went downhill from there...

bainsey Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:25am

Quote:

"So gentlemen/ladies, where do your jerseys belong? And your pants? Where do you report for substitutions? And when do you come on the court? Blue, you knock down white, what will you do? White, you knock down blue, what will you do? Basketball is a great game, now go have fun."

I like some of these. Questions get through to kids more so than statements.

"Coaches, is everybody properly and legally equipped?"
"Can I expect good sporting behavior from everyone here today?"

Depending upon the level, I see a good use for some of Mc's questions.

Adam Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:30am

I could have justified pointing out the lines last night: Black line surrounded by a wide red stripe all the way around the court. Middle school boys.

But I didn't. And the visiting team was never once confused.

Adam Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 821961)
You're joking about all of this, right? Please? You lost me at pointing out the lines on the court, and it went downhill from there...

I got lost at "speaking captains."

Smitty Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821986)
I got lost at "speaking captains."

LOL Well played...

onetime1 Thu Feb 09, 2012 03:15pm

Now lift up your shirts since I absolutely have to see if you have a number attached to your jersey!

BillyMac Thu Feb 09, 2012 06:18pm

Sixteen Will Get You Twenty ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 822185)
Now lift up your shirts since I absolutely have to see if you have a number attached to your jersey!

You say this to the speaking captain of a girls team?

Sharpshooternes Thu Feb 09, 2012 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 822259)
You say this to the speaking captain of a girls team?

BWAHAHAHA:D:D:eek:

Freddy Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07pm

It Works!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 820991)
captains:
"You know who your knuckleheads are. Take care of them so we don't have to."

I did this (word-for-word) for pregame tonight between two teams whose bad blood traditionally runs freely and fully.

It worked. Turned out to be a great, sporting contest.

DesMoines Fri Feb 10, 2012 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 820989)
i've never asked for a speaking captain, and i don't plan on it. I would forget as soon as the meeting was over.

By this time of season, they've heard it so many times. A partner recently told me that when they got together, a coach said "everyone's properly equipped, we know the concussion rule, we'll let you know on timeouts, they'll display good sportsmanship, did i forget anything?"

the shorter the better.

+1 :)

onetime1 Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:39am

Last night our R at the captains meeting just said.. "OK No Bull Sh......" The players shook hands and we had a great game.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 822454)
Last night our R at the captains meeting just said.. "OK No Bull Sh......" The players shook hands and we had a great game.

Frequently used in college games. I wouldn't use it in HS.