The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Question

probably a pretty common question. in the nba, if the ball bounces off the top of the backboard, is it still inbounds or out of bounds? does it depend on which side of the backboard it lands (front or back)? thanks to all.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

It's a myth that a ball that hits the top is OOB. The ball is not OOB, under NBA, NCAA, or NFHS rules, if the ball hits the top of the backboard. It's OOB if it goes over the top, touches a support, rope, cable, shot clock, etc., or hits the back of the backboard.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 07:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just like high school, five sides of the backboard (top, bottom, left side, right side, front) are inbounds. In HS, if the ball goes over the top of a rectangular backboard, it's OOB, whether or not it hit the top first (sometimes it hits the rim and then goes over). In the NBA, if the ball attempts to go over the top, it will hit the 24 second clock and this puts it OOB.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

thanks
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let me add another NBA twist. Unless the ball goes DIRECTLY over the backboard, it's still in play. Picture the square on the board. If it goes out directly over that, it is out. However if the ball goes over at an angle to either corner, it's play on!
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Let me add another NBA twist. Unless the ball goes DIRECTLY over the backboard, it's still in play. Picture the square on the board. If it goes out directly over that, it is out. However if the ball goes over at an angle to either corner, it's play on!
I always thought that was a weird rule. What angle must the ball go over at to be legal? 45 degrees? 50 degrees? 21 degrees?

If it goes over, it goes over.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Let me add another NBA twist.
How about this twist from the same rule: the ball is also considered to be OOB if it passes directly behind the backboard. So if you throw a pass from one corner on the baseline to the other corner on the baseline and it goes behind the backboard, TWEET, OOB! Wierd! (Rule 8 Section II-b).
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Let me add another NBA twist.
How about this twist from the same rule: the ball is also considered to be OOB if it passes directly behind the backboard. So if you throw a pass from one corner on the baseline to the other corner on the baseline and it goes behind the backboard, TWEET, OOB! Wierd! (Rule 8 Section II-b).
Which ref is supposed to call this? Not lead I hope?
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Juulie
Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. (Not that I'm going to ref backwards, or in high heels...)
Is there anybody else here who would pay a LOT of money to work with Juulie while she was reffing in high heels?!?!?!
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Juulie
Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. (Not that I'm going to ref backwards, or in high heels...)
Is there anybody else here who would pay a LOT of money to work with Juulie while she was reffing in high heels?!?!?!
Easy Chuck, easy...

Old Tue May 27, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I lost a game that way once...

Thanks for clarifying that call, I lost a game that way last year and all this time I thought I got ripped off. I've seen it called the other way too many times.

Thanks,

Coach Corbitt
www.NWAhoops.com
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I lost a game that way once...

Quote:
Originally posted by NWAhoops
Thanks for clarifying that call, I lost a game that way last year and all this time I thought I got ripped off. I've seen it called the other way too many times.
Welcome to the site, coach!

This is one of those basketball myths. Unfortunately, too many officials believe the myth as well.