The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What are your pet peeves about other officials? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87405-what-your-pet-peeves-about-other-officials.html)

Raymond Fri Feb 03, 2012 09:25am

Only things that can peeve me about another official are not knowing the rules and not knowing the basic fundamental mechanics.

The rest is not for me to judge or worry about. The assignor/supervisor needs to deal with the other stuff.

jTheUmp Fri Feb 03, 2012 09:28am

Trail officials who call 3-second violations when the ball is in the Trail's primary.

Officials who call "reach-in" fouls and/or "over-the-back" fouls. (Usually, these are the same guy).

Triad zebra Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:43am

Please don't ever tell me the ball is alive!! If you do, give me a stethoscope so I can check it.

twocentsworth Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:54am

officials who call violations/fouls that simply didn't happen....

I would MUCH rather have a partner who just doesn't blow the whistle at all - because I can always come in and get the fouls/violations that need to be called....

APG Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 819794)
Please don't ever tell me the ball is alive!! If you do, give me a stethoscope so I can check it.

Unless you were working under pro rules. ;)

fullor30 Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30pm

"If she's shooting sweet Mexican black tar heroine in bed that's a whole different matter all together"

Can't name a Mexican heroine, Joan of Arc comes to mind on the French side

Adam Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 819744)
Tough room.

Wait til you meet Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 819648)
If she's shooting sweet Mexican black tar heroine in bed that's a whole different matter all together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 819873)
Can't name a Mexican heroine, Joan of Arc comes to mind on the French side

There he is.

ps: what about Santa Ana? ;)

just another ref Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 819798)
officials who call violations/fouls that simply didn't happen....

I would MUCH rather have a partner who just doesn't blow the whistle at all - because I can always come in and get the fouls/violations that need to be called....

This is like debating whether you'd rather be shot or stabbed.

You can always come in and call everything that needs to be called?

By yourself? Don't think so.

twocentsworth Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 819880)
This is like debating whether you'd rather be shot or stabbed.

You can always come in and call everything that needs to be called?

By yourself? Don't think so.

if you can't officiate - and it will be pretty easy to tell after a couple of minutes - you bet I'll come and get the calls that need to be made.

there's a reason why assignors put a younger/less experienced official on a game with two veterans....

Smitty Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:01pm

Player: high dribble
Partner: *tweeeeeet* Carry!
Me: http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/facepalm.gif

Rich Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 819899)
if you can't officiate - and it will be pretty easy to tell after a couple of minutes - you bet I'll come and get the calls that need to be made.

there's a reason why assignors put a younger/less experienced official on a game with two veterans....

So you'll call all over the floor in an attempt to cover for the other guy.

Nice in theory, but you'll be worse there and also worse in your primary when you do this.

Personally, I find it challenging enough to simply stay in my primary and only reach when we have a true elephant on the court.

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:19pm

I hate to be the first to say this, I was hoping someone else had this experience, but here's mine-

I hate working with guys who look down at you as an official. You know the guys, the ones that either work college ( and you don't ) and the guys who are on the elected board and it's beneath them to work with someone who is not on the board.

There I said it.

rockyroad Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:23pm

Officials who jump all over someone because they think the other guy is wrong without making any attempt to help their fellow official understand or get better.

Adam Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 819915)
I hate to be the first to say this, I was hoping someone else had this experience, but here's mine-

I hate working with guys who look down at you as an official. You know the guys, the ones that either work college ( and you don't ) and the guys who are on the elected board and it's beneath them to work with someone who is not on the board.

There I said it.

95% of the college/board guys I've worked with are not only good partners, but helpful as well. Offering good points of improvement and tips.

Occasionally, I get the big timer; but that's not isolated to guys who work college or big varsity games. I've had that attitude from perennial JV guys, too.

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:34pm

snaqwells, I should clarify, it's not all of them, but it is a higher % than guys who don't do college and guys who aren't on the board.

And I have never gotten attitude from any jv officials. Lucky me I guess. I have had jv officials that do College, have attitudes toward the board, for not giving them Varsity games at the HS level.

Everyone needs to remember there are only so many games at every level. We all think we are God's gift to basketball refereeing, but the truth is, we all are not.