The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Off to my first camp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8728-off-my-first-camp.html)

Back In The Saddle Thu May 22, 2003 01:41pm

I'm off to my first camp tomorrow. It's a HS camp, and will be attended by all three assocation presidents in the state. I'm going for the instruction, not so much to be seen. But, I want to do well and make the most of the opportunity.

Any advice?

Dan_ref Thu May 22, 2003 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I'm off to my first camp tomorrow. It's a HS camp, and will be attended by all three assocation presidents in the state. I'm going for the instruction, not so much to be seen. But, I want to do well and make the most of the opportunity.

Any advice?

Be open to advice & criticism. You'll get many people telling you what to do, not all agreeing. Don't argue with the evaluators. Do not even think of a sentence beginning with "Yeah but I..." or "Yeah but he said...". Try and incorporate what you're being told during the next game. Keep what works for you. Hustle and work hard. Ask lots of questions. Relax. Have fun.

AK ref SE Thu May 22, 2003 02:12pm

Have fun-
Work Hard-
Be open to feedback-

Good Luck

AK ref SE

stripes Thu May 22, 2003 02:46pm

Quote:

Any advice?

Offer to buy the evaluators dinner, especially the thin, bald ones. :D

JRutledge Thu May 22, 2003 02:50pm

Quote:

Any advice?

1. Call you primary

2. Listen to evaluators--Act like you agree with their advice.

3. Set goals for the camp--For example, you want to get hired or you want to just improve.

4. Most of all, have fun--If you cannot do this, you should not be out there. :D

Peace

rockyroad Thu May 22, 2003 03:24pm

The most important mechanic for camps is this one - nod your head up and down several times while saying "Yes, I understand"...remember that one when speaking with the evaluators and you will be fine!

DrakeM Thu May 22, 2003 03:25pm

Offer to buy the evaluators dinner, especially the thin, bald ones. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

-with bad feet. ;)

mick Thu May 22, 2003 03:47pm

Absolutely.

Nodding is mandatory.
Nodding with your mouth closed is beneficial.
Have some fun! :)

mick Thu May 22, 2003 03:53pm

First camp.

Also, bring a big gym bag of humility.

stripes Thu May 22, 2003 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DrakeM
Offer to buy the evaluators dinner, especially the thin, bald ones. :D
-with bad feet. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Offer to buy that one drinks too. :cool:

JRutledge Thu May 22, 2003 07:27pm

I forgot one.

If you do not do anything right, you better sure hustle. You can do many things wrong, you might just be rewarded because you huslted a little.

Peace

ChuckElias Fri May 23, 2003 07:43am

BITS, I just found this quote today. It sort of relates to what others have said. Take it for what it's worth. . .

Quote:

"In order to reach our full potential to learn, we must accept and then transform anxiety and fear, relentlessly seeking accurate information on our performance. What used to be perceived as criticism now becomes a gift for constructive growth."
--Michael Gelb and Tony Buzan
Good luck. Have a great camp!

wizard Fri May 23, 2003 08:11am

Quote:

I'm off to my first camp tomorrow.
BITS,
Please give us the post camp wrap up. I especially will be interested in what it was like. I'm off to my first as well at Miami (OH) University in late June.

Back In The Saddle Fri May 23, 2003 09:54am

BITS is nodding his head, listening carefully to the advice given, definitely not answering with "Yeah, but...," and looking forward to the experience.

Thank you, everyone. I will report back on how it went.

As for the thin, bald evaluators...do you think they prefer Mexican or Italian? ;)

stripes Fri May 23, 2003 10:55am

Quote:

BITS is nodding his head, listening carefully to the advice given, definitely not answering with "Yeah, but...," and looking forward to the experience.

Thank you, everyone. I will report back on how it went.

As for the thin, bald evaluators...do you think they prefer Mexican or Italian? ;)

In Utah, definitely the Italian. :cool: See you there. Be sure to introduce yourself, I might be late getting there.