The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Accidental Granted Time-out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87024-accidental-granted-time-out.html)

curtstrouth Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09pm

Accidental Granted Time-out

If you grant a coach a timeout because you "thought" you heard him yell timeout but instead he was yelling "sideout" you have to grant that team the timeout even if the coach does not want it correct? I was asked this by a fellow official but I wanted to clarify.

tref Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:14pm

Incorrect... if you grant a timeout when you shouldn't have (wrong team) then you allow it. If the official misunderstood, then we resume POI. 5.8.3 Situation E

PG_Ref Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtstrouth (Post 818141)
If you grant a coach a timeout because you "thought" you heard him yell timeout but instead he was yelling "sideout" you have to grant that team the timeout even if the coach does not want it correct? I was asked this by a fellow official but I wanted to clarify.

No time out ... declare an accidental (incidental) whistle and resume play.

mbyron Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 818150)

I would ask the coach if he wants a time out, now that the ball is dead. He need not take one.

PG_Ref Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 818154)
I would ask the coach if he wants a time out, now that the ball is dead. He need not take one.

The original post said that the official misunderstood what he heard and that the coach didn't want a time out.

Freddy Mon Jan 30, 2012 01:54pm

Never Happens . . . More Than Twelve Times a Game

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 818156)
. . . the official misunderstood what he heard . . .

"Side Out! Side Out!" :(

Hugh Refner Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 818180)
"Side Out! Side Out!" :(

Just as bad - "Five Out! Five Out!" I hear this sometimes, too.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtstrouth (Post 818141)

Of course not. The coach didn't ask for one, so you can't charge him with one.

If I was coaching and you did that, you'd have to throw me out of the gym before I'd be done with you. So... don't be that ref that issues a TO when none was requested.

mbyron Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 818156)
The original post said that the official misunderstood what he heard and that the coach didn't want a time out.

I understand that.

Raymond Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 818150)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 818154)

If it was an IW because the coach never requested a time-out why would you need to ask if he wanted one now?

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:12pm

Side Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 818145)
5.8.3 Situation E

5.8.3 SITUATION E: A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the
Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official;
or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling “side out” offensive instructions to his/her
team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out. RULING:
In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and
granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges
and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams.
Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In
(b), an inadvertent whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out,
and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the
point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

mbyron Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 818340)
If it was an IW because the coach never requested a time-out why would you need to ask if he wanted one now?

I dunno, politeness? ;)