The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

BYU/St. Mary's

Did anyone else watch this game? It just finished on ESPNU. I turned it on at halftime and I think they said they had some intentional fouls in the first half and a warning for BYU's fans throwing stuff on the court. In the second half, they had an INT, a T for the fans throwing stuff on the court, and both head coaches got whacked. It was nuts. Hopefully someone can find some video.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:33pm
M.A.S.H.

I watched the very end of the game. They were throwing more stuff onto the floor. It looked like the floor supervisors were just watching.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I watched the very end of the game. They were throwing more stuff onto the floor. It looked like the floor supervisors were just watching.
Yeah they started with about four seconds left after the ball went OOB. SMC just threw it in and they let the clock run down and everyone got the heck out of Dodge. Pretty poor showing by BYU. Their students were doing the "Worst refs ever" chant toward the end of the game. Of course these are the same people wanting a backcourt violation called when SMC's player jumped from the FC to BC on a throw in and caught the ball in the air, so that should tell you something.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

BYU Students Earned The Vaunted "Crowd Technical Foul" Last Night

Video is there
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

That is absolutely disgraceful! If I am a BYU administrator the entire student section is abolished for 5 home games to send a message unless the culprit comes forward.If the culprit comes forward he/she needs to be banned for the rest of the season and quite possibly expelled.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
That is absolutely disgraceful! If I am a BYU administrator the entire student section is abolished for 5 home games to send a message unless the culprit comes forward.If the culprit comes forward he/she needs to be banned for the rest of the season and quite possibly expelled.
No, they are into banning players from teams because they had sexual intercourse with their girlfriend. They have bigger fish to fry.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I watched the game--there wasn't a culprit. It looked like a scene out of a prison riot, with the amount of materials being thrown. Most didn't reach the court.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 01:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No, they are into banning players from teams because they had sexual intercourse with their girlfriend. They have bigger fish to fry.

Peace
Or because they drank a cup of coffee.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Be careful where this thread goes. I am not a BYU fan and many of their fans are nuts but dont attack beliefs.

You may not like hem but dont need to ridicule or make fun of them as that directly does attack some of us on the board
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Be careful where this thread goes. I am not a BYU fan and many of their fans are nuts but dont attack beliefs.

You may not like hem but dont need to ridicule or make fun of them as that directly does attack some of us on the board
Don't be so sensitive. I am not attacking beliefs, but their policy. There are other religious institutions that hold another set of beliefs and they have not been known to suspend players for religious violations that other institutions seem to never penalize players for. That also being said BYU has been accused to be selective as to who they penalize. ESPN did a story on this last season and had many former players comment on the selectivity of those policy actions. This would be no different if another religious of another faith getting the same crap. The problem is maybe maybe there are some putting too much responsibility for their beliefs on one institution.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't be so sensitive. I am not attacking beliefs, but their policy. There are other religious institutions that hold another set of beliefs and they have not been known to suspend players for religious violations that other institutions seem to never penalize players for. That also being said BYU has been accused to be selective as to who they penalize. ESPN did a story on this last season and had many former players comment on the selectivity of those policy actions. This would be no different if another religious of another faith getting the same crap. The problem is maybe maybe there are some putting too much responsibility for their beliefs on one institution.

Peace
I'm with Rut here -- BYU has been hypocritical and selective on applying penalties for those beliefs and it's the institution I'm mocking, not the beliefs. I'm happy to let people have their beliefs and their rules, but then those rules should be applied across the board, not when they want to use them as an excuse to get rid of an "undesirable" player.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Their policy is based on the conviction of their beliefs; so you'd feel better if they weren't so strict with their beliefs?

You can disagree with it, and you certainly have the right to ridicule it, but I think it's silly to do so. As a Hawkeye fan, I remember the Pierre Pierce debacle, so I found BYU's stance refreshing, even if I thought it was a bit heavy handed.

They not only have the right to enforce their policy, they have the right to consider whatever mitigating circumstances they choose to allow. Some expose by ESPN doesn't change that.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Their policy is based on the conviction of their beliefs; so you'd feel better if they weren't so strict with their beliefs?

You can disagree with it, and you certainly have the right to ridicule it, but I think it's silly to do so. As a Hawkeye fan, I remember the Pierre Pierce debacle, so I found BYU's stance refreshing, even if I thought it was a bit heavy handed.

They not only have the right to enforce their policy, they have the right to consider whatever mitigating circumstances they choose to allow. Some expose by ESPN doesn't change that.
Quite frankly, I have a problem with an honor code when it's pretty obvious to me that Brandon Davies probably wouldn't have been suspended had he not been an African American. Being a clean cut Caucasian must be a mitigating circumstance.

Yes, I'm quoting Deadspin. But the editorial written has some pretty appalling statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspin
The reality isn't so appealing. While it's impossible to know how many students disobey BYU's honor code, which prohibits fornication and alcohol use, among other things, the honor code violations that come to light almost always involve student-athletes. And they almost always involve athletes of color. Since 1993, according to our research, at least 70 athletes have been suspended, dismissed, put on probation, or forced to withdraw from their teams or the school after running afoul of the honor code. Fifty-four of them, or nearly 80 percent, are minorities. Forty-one, or almost 60 percent, are black men. These are conservative numbers, compiled from media reports and interviews. In several cases, we could not confirm an honor code violation. In other cases, we could not establish the race or ethnicity of the athlete involved. We excluded those cases from our tally.

Clearly, though, something is amiss at BYU, where around 23 percent of the athletes are minorities, according to the university. Only .6 percent of the student body is black (176 out of the 32,947 students enrolled in 2010). Yet a majority of the honor code violations involve black athletes. Do these numbers mean these athletes "sin" more than everyone else? Hardly. Several former BYU football players told us that their white teammates routinely broke the honor code and got away with it, either because they didn't get caught or because their violations were covered up. (To a lesser extent, this holds true for Polynesian athletes, 14 of whom are included in our honor code tally. More on that later.) Mormon athletes can turn to bishops and church leaders from their own homogeneous communities — people who look like them and might even be related to them — to "repent" and avoid official punishment. Black athletes, who are typically non-Mormon, rarely have this option.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I do not want to get too deep into this because this has many layers. But this not about a comparison with a guy that was accused of rape and a guy that was accused to having a situation with a person of the opposite sex. BTW, that Pierre Pierce situation was kind of close to home as that young man lived a town or two over and I know someone personally that played basketball on the girl's side at that school at the same time he was there. She new him personally and how dumb he was.

Let us keep this all in mind about BYU, a person like Jim Mcmahon was a star at that school and I do not know of him adhering to rules based on his own comments. And when you have former players saying they were penalized and others were not penalized, that is a problem. And based on the inference I would not know why anyone would want to go there in the first place. Remember there are other religious colleges that do not have these accusations or at least not with their athletes and in a public way. If you want to believe in something that is fine, but people can look at the institution's policies just like they do with other organizations and be critical. And I doubt seriously they are going kick out a person for throwing something on a court and acting out publicly as to me that would be worse than a personal interaction that unless you had cameras you would not always know took place.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think it's silly in the least to criticize a policy that is enforced in a discirminatory manner, as appears to be the case at BYU. And that's based on more than "some expose by ESPN."

In fact, I don't even think it's silly to ridicule some of the beliefs of Mormonism or any other organized religion once one learns more about the true origins of them. And that is not an "attack" on anyone, rather a simple opinion. I'll leave it at that in recongition of time and place for that conversation.

What I do think is incredibly silly is alluding to a comparison between someone who was convicted of multiple felonies, including attempt to commit sexual abuse and another person who had consentual sex with their girlfriend. Beyond silly.
Closed Thread