The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intermission Dunking T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86866-intermission-dunking-t.html)

BillyMac Mon Jan 30, 2012 07:16am

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 817981)
For the purposes of the game at hand, a side basket is not a basket. I'd tell them to knock it off.

Side baskets are considered bench personnel. It's true. It's true.

Smitty Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 817950)
I understand where you're coming from.....think of it a different way: don't we "warn" kids about 3 seconds ("get out", "lane", etc), "warn" kids in the post ("hands", "space", etc.) or give other types of warnings during the game? the kids know those actions are against the rules....so isn't blowng the whistle prior to walking on the court the same thing?

If you feel that this action goes "against the intent of the rule", is there any type of "preventative officiating" that you engage in during a game? and if you do, why is THAT different than this?

just wondering....

This is my biggest peeve I have about how they do things in Texas. I hate popping the whistle on the way onto the court. They seem to be very tolerant here of the kids putting a dunking contest on prior to us hitting the court.

Adam Mon Jan 30, 2012 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 817950)
I understand where you're coming from.....think of it a different way: don't we "warn" kids about 3 seconds ("get out", "lane", etc), "warn" kids in the post ("hands", "space", etc.) or give other types of warnings during the game? the kids know those actions are against the rules....so isn't blowng the whistle prior to walking on the court the same thing?

If you feel that this action goes "against the intent of the rule", is there any type of "preventative officiating" that you engage in during a game? and if you do, why is THAT different than this?

just wondering....

The warnings (just like behavior warnings during the game) are designed to prevent infractions when players or coaches are getting close to "the line." If they cross the line before I warn them, too bad. I have warned players who come way too close to a dunk for my comfort.

twocentsworth Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 817969)
Sounding the whistle makes it seem as if dunking is fine before the game as long as the officials are not on the floor. Dunking is never an acceptable act.

There are many times during a game where a player will put his hands on an opponent or not allow him a space. The action could be legal or could be a foul depending on how it is done. The vast majority of the times that a player does these actions he is not trying to foul his opponent. He is attempting to play within the rules. It is a completely different situation than dunking before the game.

ALL contact (or any other action), is acceptable until you blow the whistle. Nothing is a foul until an official blows the whistle and calls it a foul.

Same principle as the "pre-game dunk"....it's not a violation until it gets called.

Adam Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 818325)
ALL contact (or any other action), is acceptable until you blow the whistle. Nothing is a foul until an official blows the whistle and calls it a foul.

Same principle as the "pre-game dunk"....it's not a violation until it gets called.

No, the concepts are not the same. Incidental contact is a rule, and the rules even give us a way to determine what contact is legal and what is a foul.

Pregame dunks don't even require judgment.

mbyron Mon Jan 30, 2012 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 818327)
Whether Pregame dunks merit a technical foul doesn't even require judgment.

ftfy. :)