The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation I can't remember this ever happening before

Had two boys HS rec games last night. Both games were "JV" level meaning all the kids were either freshman or sophomores. In the second game, one of the players fouled out in the first quarter! None of his fouls were intentional or flagrant, just sloppy. Three of them were against shooters. He fouled out with about 90 seconds to go in the quarter and these quarters are seven minutes. That means he picked up five fouls in just over five minutes.

Twice I've had kids pick up two T's in the first quarter over the years, but I can't remember a kid ever getting five personals in the first quarter. Virtually any time a time a kid gets two or especially three that early, the coach will sit him down. Not this time, however.

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Had two boys HS rec games last night. Both games were "JV" level meaning all the kids were either freshman or sophomores. In the second game, one of the players fouled out in the first quarter! None of his fouls were intentional or flagrant, just sloppy. Three of them were against shooters. He fouled out with about 90 seconds to go in the quarter and these quarters are seven minutes. That means he picked up five fouls in just over five minutes.

Twice I've had kids pick up two T's in the first quarter over the years, but I can't remember a kid ever getting five personals in the first quarter. Virtually any time a time a kid gets two or especially three that early, the coach will sit him down. Not this time, however.

I've seen kids in rec leagues pick up 4 in the first before but never 5.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had it in six years of varsity scorekeeping.I've seen kids pick up three in the first before and a couple of times 4 in a quarter but never a foul out.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

...for the first time. Girls game and one of Home's girls fouls out with about 4 minutes left in the first quarter. The table blew the horn and may have signaled my partner who gave me no indication. It wasn't until the coach complained about getting time to put in a sub did I realize she'd fouled out. I was so surprised, I actually asked the coach, saying "She has five?".

After I have some time to wind down, I'm going to ask a serious question about partners.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Had a girl on varsity foul out in the first three minutes.

After you clam down and unwind, also take a look in the mirror.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 08:10pm
TODO: creative title here

Since we play 2 halves in MN instead of 4 quarters, I can't say I've seen anyone foul out in the first quarter. I have had games where kids have fouled out in the first half though. Usually, it's a situation where it's a JV game and the kid is going to be playing in the varsity game later that night, so he's only playing 1 half of the JV game anyway.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

This thread reminded me of an NBA game from a few years ago in which, as I remembered, a young non-starting center with little potential was put in in the fourth quarter with his team down big and proceeded to foul out within minutes. After a small amount of searching, I found the game. Heat at Jazz, December 6, 2004. Aleksandar Radojevic went 0-1 from the floor with 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, and 6 personal fouls in 7 minutes. Impressive.

NBA - Miami Heat/Utah Jazz Box Score Monday December 6, 2004 - Yahoo! Sports