The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

D.o.g.

A1 has ball for a throw in. B1 violates the throw in boundary. Tweet, notify B coach of the DOG and enter it in book. Few minutes later B1 commits identical violation. T on team B (per 10-1-5c). Few minutes later identical violation of boundary by any B player. Question: Is this a T issued to the B player
(per 10-3-5d)? Which says a player shall not delay the game by acts such as repeated violations of the throw-in, as in 9-2-10.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:29pm
Back from the DL

If it were intentional, I might T up the player, but that's quite rare. Generally speaking, multiple DOG violations are team technical fouls.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

The second T would be on the Team.

You could give B1 the T for the second violation instead of the team T since it is the same player committed the same violation twice. Though I would be hesitant to do that unless the player made the second violation immediately after receiving the warning or right after another player violated the throw-in got the T.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:05am
(Something hilarious)

Is there a wierd loop I'm just noticing that doesn't make sense between 10-3-5-d and 10-1-5-c and 9-2-10-Pen.-2?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
A1 has ball for a throw in. B1 violates the throw in boundary. Tweet, notify B coach of the DOG and enter it in book. Few minutes later B1 commits identical violation. T on team B (per 10-1-5c). Few minutes later identical violation of boundary by any B player. Question: Is this a T issued to the B player
(per 10-3-5d)? Which says a player shall not delay the game by acts such as repeated violations of the throw-in, as in 9-2-10.
If memory serves,
1) Any and all violations of the plane after the initial warning = a team technical foul.
2) Reaching across the plane and touching or dislodging the ball = a player technical foul.
3) Reaching across the plane and fouling the thrower in = a player intentional foul.
4) If #'s 3 & 4 are the first violations, the warning is included.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
My take is that the player T is for acts that are truly and intentionally delaying the game, rather than simply violating again while playing the game (even if poorly). The only time I'm going to T the player is if I judge he's attempting to make a mockery of the game or something similar.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Technical, Or Team Technical ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
My take is that the player T is for acts that are truly and intentionally delaying the game, rather than simply violating again while playing the game (even if poorly). The only time I'm going to T the player is if I judge he's attempting to make a mockery of the game or something similar.
Forget the boundary plane for now, how about interfering with the ball after a basket, like intentionally throwing it fourteen rows up into the bleachers?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:07am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
If memory serves,

3) Reaching across the plane and fouling the thrower in = a player intentional foul.
May want to update your memory to conform to 2011-2012 standards...
9-2-10 Penalty 4
Clarified that when an opponent contacts the thrower-in, an intentional foul shall be charged to the offender.
Rationale: Any type of contact on a thrower is an intentional foul. The defender does not actually have to break the boundary plane. This clarification will assist in more consistent enforcement.

Thank me!!
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

That's a T in my book. I was simply making the point that a player who twice violates the throw-in boundary shouldn't (necessarily) be charged with a player technical.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
May want to update your memory to conform to 2011-2012 standards...
9-2-10 Penalty 4
Clarified that when an opponent contacts the thrower-in, an intentional foul shall be charged to the offender.
Rationale: Any type of contact on a thrower is an intentional foul. The defender does not actually have to break the boundary plane. This clarification will assist in more consistent enforcement.

Thank me!!
Consider my old fart memory updated.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 05:16pm
C'mon man!!

So just so I am sure... Defense reaching across the throw in PLANE is a DOG? Hmmm. I have been letting that go way too long.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The, Oh Nevermind, We're Taking A Break, Union Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So just so I am sure... Defense reaching across the throw in PLANE is a DOG? Hmmm. I have been letting that go way too long.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team delay warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team delay warning will be recorded. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane, and fouls the inbounding player, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team delay warning will be recorded. It is an intentional personal foul if the defender fouls the inbounding player, even without breaking the imaginary plane, however, in this specific case, there is no delay of game warning because the defender did not break the boundary plane.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 05:35pm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

It's not an imaginary plane, it's a real -- albeit invisible -- plane.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, Sure, We Believe You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's not an imaginary plane, it's a real -- albeit invisible -- plane.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 08:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Also, You're On Duty Tonight From Midnight Until 6:00 A.M. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's not an imaginary plane, it's a real, albeit invisible, plane.
Great suggestion to improve the Misunderstood Rules list. Congratulations. You are now an official Mythbuster. You will soon be receiving your official Mythbuster badge, and your official Mythbuster decoder ring.

The defender may not break the boundary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the boundary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team delay warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the boundary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team delay warning will be recorded. If the defender breaks the boundary plane, and fouls the inbounding player, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team delay warning will be recorded. It is an intentional personal foul if the defender fouls the inbounding player, even without breaking the boundary plane, however, in this specific case, there is no delay of game warning because the defender did not break the boundary plane.