The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
... okay, well, not a change but an addition of a new signal. It would be the standard "Stop Clock" signal, such as any violation, and then the ref would look confused, scratch the head, and finally, give the ball back to who ever had possession when the whistle went dead. The name of the call would be, "I have no idea what just happened". If you had been at my games today you would have seen a really classic demonstration!!
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 12:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

This is already a mechanic......for coaches.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Tough day at the office, huh, Juules? For you, or your partner?
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

So what WOULD be a good signal for a brain cramp? In football you can wave off a bad flag. In basketball...perhaps slapping the forehead with the open palm?
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

The signal for a brain cramp is both hands patting yourself on the chest while saying, "Bad whistle, my error!!" I've had to do it. It's a rotten feeling.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
In basketball...perhaps slapping the forehead with the open palm?
Done that.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The signal for a brain cramp is both hands patting yourself on the chest while saying, "Bad whistle, my error!!" I've had to do it. It's a rotten feeling.
Done that.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Been there, done that, but you should see the size of Chuck's forearms from doing this!

Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Smile Body Language Mechanics

I've always been partial to the "two-arms-outwardly-extended shoulder-shrug" move. Very versatile mechanic. Can be directed at officials for situations like "Huh, what was that?" or "Aw, c'mon, he hardly touched him" or conversely as the situation might necessitate, "What, no foul?"

But most of the time, it's directed at my own squad - especially whenever I'm stumped at what they are trying to do offensively. Usually accompanied by the shouts of, "What the heck are you all doing?" or something like that...
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Body Language Mechanics

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
I've always been partial to the "two-arms-outwardly-extended shoulder-shrug" move. Very versatile mechanic. Can be directed at officials for situations like "Huh, what was that?" or "Aw, c'mon, he hardly touched him" or conversely as the situation might necessitate, "What, no foul?"
I've actually used this one on coaches too. Especially when a coach will question me about my partner's no-call. They usually say, "Chuck, that was nothing?!?" And I give the old shrug with eyebrows raised. They love that. Really.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 12:28pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Body Language Mechanics

Quote:
I've actually used this one on coaches too. Especially when a coach will question me about my partner's no-call. They usually say, "Chuck, that was nothing?!?" And I give the old shrug with eyebrows raised. They love that. Really.
Isn't a poker face better?

Old Mon May 19, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Body Language Mechanics

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
No way. The poker face just invites them to say it again b/c they think you didn't hear them. The shrug conveys that you don't care about that call anymore, b/c it's over so it's time to move on.

Old Mon May 19, 2003, 03:14pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Body Language Mechanics

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
No way. The poker face just invites them to say it again b/c they think you didn't hear them. The shrug conveys that you don't care about that call anymore, b/c it's over so it's time to move on.

I read a shrug as possibly meaning, "I dunno what he's calling, seeing, or doing."
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Tough day at the office, huh, Juules? For you, or your partner?
Me. All me.

It was a train wreck, where the ball escaped and dribbled out of bounds. Defender didn't really have position (and one foot was oob -- fwiw!!), dribbler didn't really hit him much, and I thought it was a flop, then dribbler tripped over fallen defender. These kids were 5th grade, so they couldn't control the ball after all that, but who touched it last?? I had the perfect angle, and was in great position. Just couldn't decide what to do.

I literally whistled, hesitated, then signalled the dribbler's team to get the ball back. And got it back in play as fast as I could!!

Partner was LHAO!! Which didn't help.

Fortunately, both coaches were upset, for a moment, but the call didn't really affect the game in any way. In effect, it just turned into a "do-over".

Thinking back over it, I'm not sure what I could have done differently. I might have gotten away with a block, but I don't know... it just didn't feel like it. Oh, well.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 03:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - should have called icing.

BTW - our buddy Dave just called me and said he misplaced your schedule and was worried that there might be games tonight. There aren't, but I was tempted to tell him there were and make him go to a gym. HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!

The good news is he said he is probably going to drop Tualatin Hills next year and work TBA! Yippee Skippy! How many games do you want with him?