The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

What Do You Have?

You know the drill...assume this happens at the level you call

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Leveling with you

rec league girls can't take that shot Seriously, that's a foul...if it's Kobe or Lebron...
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Gasol was vertical and Ellis threw his hip into him. Good no call IMO.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Great no call.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Cmon BNR,

you know you've seen less than that called in the NBA...if it's the "right guy" with the ball.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
you know you've seen less than that called in the NBA...if it's the "right guy" with the ball.
I've seen similar plays no called...with the "right guy with the ball"
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
APG said "assume this happens at the level you call."

I haven't watch an NBA game this season so I can't say if this is called for superstars or not. But I do recollect over the years Kobe complaining about a lot of no-calls on similar shots so I can't say your cliche' holds true.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't watch enough NBA to comment on the veracity of your claim, but you know full well it's not about the level of contact. I've called less than that at the hs level, and I've no-called more than that. It's not about "less" or "more."
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I'm a rookie, and I'm leaning towards no call but,

Is blue is "late" to the spot of the shooter's try and not facing up to him either (:28 of the video)? Or does any of that matter?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRef View Post
I'm a rookie, and I'm leaning towards no call but,

Is blue is "late" to the spot of the shooter's try and not facing up to him either (:28 of the video)? Or does any of that matter?
He was facing him, and he never got to the spot of the shooter's try. He got to a spot directly in front of the shooter, and he got there first.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:02am
Back from the DL

From my standpoint, defender had LGP and verticality, and the shooter came into him. I have nothing.

Okay, slightly different sitch from a game I worked this week: A-1 goes airborne. Defender B-2 has his spot in the lane, but facing in another direction (turned about a 90 degrees from the path of the shooter). Instinctively, the defender jumps, and has clear verticality, but is not facing the shooter when contact is made (shooter's torso into defender's side). Blocking?

Last edited by bainsey; Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 11:22am.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

We'll frequently see this at the HS level on a last second long-distance heave where the shooter will throw himself into the defender. And of course the shooter's coach wants a foul. No freaking way.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Man, you gave me a thumbs down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I've seen similar plays no called...with the "right guy with the ball"
Hey, I'm all for a no call here and maybe have that in hs or college, but you can't tell me you haven't seen guys go to the line on a play like this. Looking at it closely, I can see some contact from Gasol on upper body and I do believe he is still moving, albeit slightly, and from his shoulder up is leaning towards shooter. Offensive player has jumped into him, I'll agree, however, some of that is a natural shooting motion that takes a shooter from the spot he starts his shot from TOWARDS the basket. Sure his intent is to draw the foul, that's why he takes it quickly to the deep corner, to entice the defender to follow, then comes back a bit with his shot, hoping defender has over committed. You began this post, I assume, asking for opinions (I didn't think it was today's pop quiz) then you thumb me down for giving mine
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Hey, I'm all for a no call here and maybe have that in hs or college, but you can't tell me you haven't seen guys go to the line on a play like this. Looking at it closely, I can see some contact from Gasol on upper body and I do believe he is still moving, albeit slightly, and from his shoulder up is leaning towards shooter. Offensive player has jumped into him, I'll agree, however, some of that is a natural shooting motion that takes a shooter from the spot he starts his shot from TOWARDS the basket. Sure his intent is to draw the foul, that's why he takes it quickly to the deep corner, to entice the defender to follow, then comes back a bit with his shot, hoping defender has over committed. You began this post, I assume, asking for opinions (I didn't think it was today's pop quiz) then you thumb me down for giving mine
"Thumb down" was for your cliche' not for your opinion on that play.

I addressed your cliche' in one of my posts.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thumbs down your lazy cliche...hell, I've seen guys go to the line on a play like this at all levels of play....am I to assume it was because the "right guy" had the ball?