The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 seconds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86368-3-seconds.html)

Oklahoma official Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55am

3 seconds

A1 goes into the lane and looses the ball, it gets batted back and forth among players in the lane with no one getting control of the ball, A1 is still in the lane, could this be a 3 second violation if it takes that long for someone to get control? If so, then anytime there is a loose ball in the lane, the offense could get punished if they go after it and it takes longer than 3 seconds for anyone to get control. Any help would be appreciated on this.

SNIPERBBB Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07pm

As long as the team still has control its a violation.

Oklahoma official Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09pm

Is there team control during a loose ball?

JRutledge Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16pm

There could be. What does the rulebook say about when team control ends? That will answer your question.

Peace

APG Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30pm

Requirements for a three second violation:

1. Team control (and player control established at some point if coming from a throw-in)
2. Ball in the frontcourt

Remember that team control, once established, continues until the ball becomes dead, there's a try for goal, or the team not in control of the ball gains possession of the ball.

So yes, in theory, you could have a 3 second call while the ball is loose and not in player control.

BillyMac Sat Jan 21, 2012 01:12pm

Gets 'Em Every Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 815436)
So yes, in theory, you could have a 3 second call while the ball is loose and not in player control.

It's the old interrupted dribble trick.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 21, 2012 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma official (Post 815425)
A1 goes into the lane and looses the ball, it gets batted back and forth among players in the lane with no one getting control of the ball, A1 is still in the lane, could this be a 3 second violation if it takes that long for someone to get control?

By rule, yes, it's a 3 second violation.

Quote:

If so, then anytime there is a loose ball in the lane, the offense could get punished if they go after it and it takes longer than 3 seconds for anyone to get control. Any help would be appreciated on this.
It's not punishment. It's a penalty and it's a rule.

SamIAm Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13pm

Couldn't this be an interrupted dribble in which the 3 second count is suspended. (Or am I mistaken)

PG_Ref Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 815968)
Couldn't this be an interrupted dribble in which the 3 second count is suspended. (Or am I mistaken)

You are mistaken ...

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 815968)

It could be an interrupted dribble, but that does not suspend the 3 second count.

In fact, I don't believe any count gets "suspended" during an interrupted dribble.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815971)
It could be an interrupted dribble, but that does not suspend the 3 second count.

In fact, I don't believe any count gets "suspended" during an interrupted dribble.

A closely-guarded count is terminated.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 815974)

Yep, but not suspended.

Indianaref Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46pm

This thread is why Rule 4 on definitions are so important.

SamIAm Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 815974)

Thanks to all for the correction. Thanks Bob, that is where I made my mistake.