The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 17, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Under FIBA, we point with only our index finger... There are some dude's that use 2 fingers instead, but oficially it's only one (which I prefer).

ADR
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Dutch ref, pointing with the index finger is personal, intimidating, confrontational and is not in the FIBA mechanics manual.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
Dutch ref, pointing with the index finger is personal, intimidating, confrontational
Nick, I think I would disagree with that. Why is it confrontational? It's the way almost everybody does in real life. I can't imagine how anyone could be intimidated by me pointing with one finger. (Dan can't imagine anyone being intimidated by me, period. )

Why do you make that statement? I'm just trying to understand.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
Dutch ref, pointing with the index finger is personal, intimidating, confrontational
Nick, I think I would disagree with that. Why is it confrontational? It's the way almost everybody does in real life. I can't imagine how anyone could be intimidated by me pointing with one finger. (Dan can't imagine anyone being intimidated by me, period. )

Why do you make that statement? I'm just trying to understand.
Chuck,when the NFHS first put in "bird dogging",they laid out the hand signal as palm down,pointing at the player's waist,etc. They also used the rationale,if I remember correctly,that they didn't want us pointing one finger right at someone for just about the same reasons that Nick listed above,except for maybe "intimidating".Also,if I remember right,"bird dogging" was put in as a direct result of the dumb rule that they had just put in that it was mandatory that a player raised his/her hand when they committed a foul.The "bird-dog" was used so that a player couldn't say that they didn't know that they were the one that had committed the foul.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
when the NFHS first put in "bird dogging",they laid out the hand signal as palm down,pointing at the player's waist,etc. They also used the rationale,if I remember correctly,that they didn't want us pointing one finger right at someone for just about the same reasons that Nick listed above
And I can see the reason for that, b/c you had to point at someone in particular. But in pointing direction after the ball goes OOB, you're not pointing at anybody. You're just saying "that way". I don't see how anybody would take offense at that.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
when the NFHS first put in "bird dogging",they laid out the hand signal as palm down,pointing at the player's waist,etc. They also used the rationale,if I remember correctly,that they didn't want us pointing one finger right at someone for just about the same reasons that Nick listed above
And I can see the reason for that, b/c you had to point at someone in particular. But in pointing direction after the ball goes OOB, you're not pointing at anybody. You're just saying "that way". I don't see how anybody would take offense at that.
Nick's first post was obviously referring to a foul,and not a direction-i.e. "clenched fist...pointing at the offender...".I think that he was still referring to a foul in his subsequent post.That's why I answered the way that I did.Direction,of course,is different.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Ah, it makes a lot more sense when you look at it that way!
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck and J.R., I should have mentioned that my reply did refer to the foul situation. There is definitely no problem pointing with finger to show direction of play
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

When in Rome......

If your Assoc. lets you point "Pro-style",
do it. If not, Full hand, thumb tucked, is the way to go!