The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

and...you got...what???

I was talking with our local interpreter tonight about this play(didn't happen to either of us, we were just thinking)...A1 drives for layup, B1 'acts a fool', and while the ball is on the rim, excessively slaps the backboard (not trying for a block, just being an @$$). Ball falls off ring, layup no good. Unsporting T, yes...basket inerference too??

Well, the rule says B.I. only concerns touching 'any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on the ring on in any part of the imaginary cylinder'.

Case book does not have this particular play. We know it's an obvious T, yes. Would it also be B.I. due to excessive contact of hitting backboard causing the ring to vibrate and have ball fall off ring?

I can't find rule support for B.I. in addition to T here, so i'm just leaning toward T.

any help??
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just a T.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

There is no provision under NFHS rules for basket interference in your situation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I was talking with our local interpreter tonight about this play(didn't happen to either of us, we were just thinking)...A1 drives for layup, B1 'acts a fool', and while the ball is on the rim, excessively slaps the backboard (not trying for a block, just being an @$$). Ball falls off ring, layup no good. Unsporting T, yes...basket inerference too??

Well, the rule says B.I. only concerns touching 'any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on the ring on in any part of the imaginary cylinder'.

Case book does not have this particular play. We know it's an obvious T, yes. Would it also be B.I. due to excessive contact of hitting backboard causing the ring to vibrate and have ball fall off ring?

I can't find rule support for B.I. in addition to T here, so i'm just leaning toward T.

any help??
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There is no provision under NFHS rules for basket interference in your situation.
Nor in the NCAA rule book. So VB when we work together next month don't call anything other than a T....LOL
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

You will get some coaches and players thinking this is basket interference because under NBA rules, a basket could be awarded if a player slaps the backboard with such force that it causes the ball to take an unnatural bounce.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Nor in the NCAA rule book. So VB when we work together next month don't call anything other than a T....LOL

that's what I was figuring, just wanted to double check with you guys on the forum....

as far as next month, ha ha, thanks! Will do
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Mythbusters Slept Through Their Alarm Clock This Morning ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)