The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

As you all are aware, camps will be starting soon and some officials will have to make a choice as to whether they wish to officiate men or women's b-ball. I don't think that I will get picked up for a conference, but on the slim chance that I do, I need to have a preference. My question is: besides preference, what all do you consider when making that choice? And after you have made the choice is it set in stone or can you switch.
I am a young official and I am going into my third year, and I am just looking for some advice from the veterans who have made that decision. Thanks for hearing me out!
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I will try.

My question is: besides preference, what all do you consider when making that choice?

Which one I like doing the most.

And after you have made the choice is it set in stone or can you switch.

It is never set in stone. You can always change your mind, depending on the assignor or the level you are moving to. If you are trying to go to the NBA/WNBA, your background is not always going to matter. The NBA will train you to their "style" of officiating.

I am a young official and I am going into my third year, and I am just looking for some advice from the veterans who have made that decision. Thanks for hearing me out!

No problem, good luck.

Peace
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: I will try.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
My question is: besides preference, what all do you consider when making that choice?

Um, isn't that the same as "preference"?
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
besides preference, what all do you consider when making that choice?
Besides preference, you might consider that it is generally easier to advance on the women's side. This is especially true for women, but it is also true for men to a lesser extent. I think (and I could be wrong) that there are more people who prefer to officiate men's ball. This means that there are fewer quality officials vying for the spots on the women's side.

I think the travel and compensation are generally similar, regardless of whether you work men's or women's. One thing I don't like about working girls games in HS is that the logistics of getting changed and showering make it difficult to have a good pre-game or post-game discussion.

Quote:
And after you have made the choice is it set in stone or can you switch.
You can always try to switch. My concern would be that if I started out on the women's side, then men's assignors would view me as a "women's official" and not want to give me a shot. It's also almost impossible to both at the same time (at the college level), from what I understand.

Good luck at camp. We'll expect a full report
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Besides preference, you might consider that it is generally easier to advance on the women's side. This is especially true for women, but it is also true for men to a lesser extent. I think (and I could be wrong) that there are more people who prefer to officiate men's ball. This means that there are fewer quality officials vying for the spots on the women's side.

I think the travel and compensation are generally similar, regardless of whether you work men's or women's. One thing I don't like about working girls games in HS is that the logistics of getting changed and showering make it difficult to have a good pre-game or post-game discussion.

Uhhhhh...Chuck? Why are you showering with the players? And why do you shower with them BEFORE the game?
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: I will try.

Quote:
Quote:

Um, isn't that the same as "preference"?
Chuck, the question was "what all do you consider when making the choice?" If I like doing one over the other, that is enough for me. Some folks do it because the games are not as physically demanding as the other. Some do it because I can advance faster in one over the other. Some do it because they have friends that have advanced in a specific side of the ball, so they want to try that side.

So for me, I like doing Men's Basketball over Women's Basketball, just because I like the Men's game over the Women's game. No money considerations. No advancement considerations. I just like doing one type of ball over the other. It is that simple for me.

Peace
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I will try.

You just can't ever say, "Ha ha, I guess you got me that time" and have a good-natured laugh at yourself, can you?

Quote:
Chuck, the question was "what all do you consider when making the choice?"
No, it wasn't. You even quoted the question. I really can't believe you sometimes. The question was "besides preference". . . See it, right up there? It's even underlined for you.

I don't care what your preference is, boys or girls, that's your business and it's as valid as anybody else's preference. You like boys? That's fine, it's GREAT. No problem.

My only point was that the question specifically said "beside preference" and then the only answer you gave was your preference. I thought that was kind of funny. But no, you have to try to rationalize it somehow. Good thing you don't care what anybody on this board thinks

Can't you see the smiley and take it as a joke, the way it was intended? Jeez.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I chose Women's ball for 1 reason: The butt kissing and egos involved with Men's ball is typically absurd. I have little patience with this. Women's ball has become pretty competitive, particulary at the D2 and up level.....Plus, the weekday start times are usually around 5:30, so you can get home before midnight even with a 2-3 hour drive.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Good grief Rut...the original questions said BESIDES PREFERENCE, and then your only answer is that it is your preference. Good one...

And to Brianp134, some things to consider - what type of people will I be working with? i chose women's collegiate ball because the officials on the men's side around here (I can only speak for 'around here") did not seem to have the friendships and desire to help each other out that I saw on the women's side...I chose to work where I would have partners who would travel with me, go out to dinner after the games, etc...just something else to think about or look at...are the men's officials in your area jerks? Or maybe are the women's officials jerks? Who would you rather work with?
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 03:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Boy - I'm glad with all this talk about preference that Michael Jackson isn't an official.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
the officials on the men's side around here (I can only speak for 'around here") did not seem to have the friendships and desire to help each other out that I saw on the women's side...
This is a great point, Rocky. I haven't seen it as much, but I have heard this about the men's side around here, too. The guys at "the top" don't really want the new guys to move up, so there's not a lot of help. I've been lucky and have had a lot of help and had people say good things about me, but that is definitely a consideration that I hadn't. . . uh. . . considered
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 03:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[
but that is definitely a consideration that I hadn't. . . uh. . . considered
Hey! Is that the same thing as a preference that you prefer???
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

A little off subject, but in my position, my officiating friends are calling me crazy. I have a SOLID chance of going D1 Womens next season. My thing is I absolutly love working a good HS boys game over a college womens game. I like the play better, and not to open another can of worms, but working in front of sold out gyms and arenas is awesome. I think the only way you'll work in a sold out gym for women's is to work at UConn, Tenn, Duke........... My thing is if I do get picked up on the Men's side this year, I will be starting at the bottom again and probably have to work my way up the ladder a little bit longer. Anybody ever been in this sitch? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I gave an answer...............

Quote:
Chuck, move on. Your life will be happier.
I'm very happy now, Rut. I tried to make a joke. You didn't get it. No skin off my nose. I will move on.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
I have a SOLID chance of going D1 Womens next season. My thing is if I do get picked up on the Men's side this year, I will be starting at the bottom again and probably have to work my way up the ladder a little bit longer.
I have not been in your situation. And I wouldn't call you crazy. However, I think that if I had a solid shot at D1 women's and only a long-shot at D1 men's, I would probably take the women's spot. If I thought that I still had a decent chance at D1 men's (which I'd have to give up for the women's spot), then I would pass up the women's spot.

I want to work D1. If I can only do that on the women's side, then that's what I'd do. If I felt that I still had a chance on the men's side, I stick with the men.

That's just me. Good luck on your decision.