The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

DOG Warning Question

The other night, MS Boys game, White after every free-throw attempt (made or missed), the players on the lane and those outside will come up and contact the free-thrower. When I officiated in Florida, we were told to give the DOG warning and then T if it continued. Now that I have moved to SC, I have had officials tell me not to call this.

Heeding their advice ("When in Rome...") I have refrained from calling it because most teams have not been doing it or have been talked out of continuing it during a game. But this team was delaying us administering the subsequent FTs every time because the other 4 players just had to go up and give the shooter some skin. I had told them at least twice to knock it off. So finally in the third quarter, I call the DOG for contacting the free-thrower between FTs per 4-47-2 and 10-1-5d. Coach asked what it was for, and I told him that his players were delaying us administering FTs. So we go a few minutes before another shooting foul and they go again and all high five/pat the free-thrower. I call the T on it and coach is not happy. I told him again, it is considered a delay and this is the second DOG of the game.

What would any of you do differently here? I know that I did what is right by the book, but something inside does not feel right.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

"Delay the game" is a relative thing. In SC (it seems), the time it takes to contact the free thrower is not a delay. (Nor, in normal circumstances, is it here. By the time the L gets the ball, checks with the partners on the number of shots, checks for subs at the tabel, the players are back in position.)
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"Delay the game" is a relative thing. In SC (it seems), the time it takes to contact the free thrower is not a delay. (Nor, in normal circumstances, is it here. By the time the L gets the ball, checks with the partners on the number of shots, checks for subs at the tabel, the players are back in position.)
+1

I had a player tonight cross the lane and talk to a teammate. Told them once to stop the meetings, and didn't have to worry about it again.

The key is, yet again, when in Rome....
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Did you give the warning loudly and to the table so that the coach knew what you were doing and why? I'd hate to see a tech called when the coach is allowing this action based on the fact that it's "normal" in SC, and only a few players were aware of the warning.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Yes. I reported the warning to the table and to the coach. Coach asked what the delay was. I told him it was for contacting the free-thrower between free-throws. I also told him I had told the players prior to giving the DOG warning.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:24am
Back from the DL

I think I've called this DOG maybe 2-3 times in my seven years officiating. Simply put, if I'm ready to distribute the ball, and they're still slapping, it's a DOG. However, as Bob pointed out, there's a fair amount that has to be done before I'm ready. So, if you're going to slap hands (and they usually do), make it fast.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Yes. I reported the warning to the table and to the coach. Coach asked what the delay was. I told him it was for contacting the free-thrower between free-throws. I also told him I had told the players prior to giving the DOG warning.
Then I certainly have no problem with the call and the coach has no one to be upset with other than himself. I would still be very careful about this and be sure you are not in too much of a hurry... though it didn't sound as though you were.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If they're only slapping hands, I don't bother, and it seems as if that's the local expectation for you as well. I would ask your assigner (if applicable) or talk to the officials in your area who are working the level to which you aspire. Get multiple opinions, but the local opinions will matter more than ours on this.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Violation?

If the players are slow with the slapping of the hands, then just place the ball at the disposal of the shooter. If they have not returned to their legal position, then blow the whistle for lane violation.
Just a thought.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 11:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
If the players are slow with the slapping of the hands, then just place the ball at the disposal of the shooter. If they have not returned to their legal position, then blow the whistle for lane violation.
Just a thought.
That's a dick move.

Either allow it or tell them it has to stop and if it happens again, then issue the penalty for that action.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Just a thought.
In all honesty, that sounds like the worst way to handle this situation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 12:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
In all honesty, that sounds like the worst way to handle this situation.
I agree. We have rules to deal with this, let's try to avoid the gotcha calls if we can.