The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 11:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
3 OOB calls in one game

iAs lead, I was about two feet off the end line. As I moved toward the arc, A1 was standing next to me. He was not an inbounder who had not returned to the court. TWEET. A couple more trips down the court, and one of my partners makes the same call on Team A from the lead. Not to be outdone, B1 plants both of his feet OOB as I am the lead. Wanting to call it the same at both ends, a third violation was called. I have called this 5-6 times a season. I have never seen it called twice in a game, let alone 3 times.

The good news is that the halftime talks by their coaches seemed to have cured the problem.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 11:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
iAs lead, I was about two feet off the end line. As I moved toward the arc, A1 was standing next to me. He was not an inbounder who had not returned to the court. TWEET. A couple more trips down the court, and one of my partners makes the same call on Team A from the lead. Not to be outdone, B1 plants both of his feet OOB as I am the lead. Wanting to call it the same at both ends, a third violation was called. I have called this 5-6 times a season. I have never seen it called twice in a game, let alone 3 times.

The good news is that the halftime talks by their coaches seemed to have cured the problem.
I called a 3 second violation tonight. Oh, and the final of my GV game was 71-5.

I only posted the 3 second violation because I mentioned in an earlier thread how I get about one a month and now I've called 2 in 2 games.

It actually was quite easy -- the winning team's center (face it, a team down by 70 could probably sit in the lane and rub two sticks together and start a fire and I'd probably notice my shoe was untied) got the ball in the lane and passed it out and never left. Her coach was telling her to get out of the lane. I wait a few more beats and then finally called it.

Of course that prompted the crowd to yell for it on every subsequent possession, all of which had balls bouncing off the rim or the like. Hey, they needed something to cheer for.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 08:47am.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I called a 3 second violation tonight. Oh, and the final of my GV game was 71-5.
I got ya beat. 86-8. Did I call 3seconds?????? Nope.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

He Beat Me To The Punch ...

The only time I've thought about calling a violation for leaving the court was when the offensive player used his screen by going off the court and almost knocking me, as the lead, over. It caught me by surprise, so I didn't call it, but I was ready for the next one. Next time down the same end, after a switch, my partner, as the lead, called it after the same team did the same thing to him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 07:33am.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 07:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The flip side......

Quote:
Oh, and the final of my GV game was 71-5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I got ya beat. 86-8.
While I've had my share of these types of games too, I had an excellent GV game last night. One of the better teams in the local region. Both teams played very well and I had excellent P's. Man could the H team shoot foul shots. As a team they must have been at ~ 80%!

It was fun to be out there.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I only posted the 3 second violation because I mentioned in an earlier thread how I get about one a month and now I've called 2 in 2 games.

It actually was quite easy -- the winning team's center (face it, a team down by 70 could probably sit in the lane and rub two sticks together and start a fire and I'd probably notice my shoe was untied) got the ball in the lane and passed it out and never left. Her coach was telling her to get out of the lane. I wait a few more beats and then finally called it.

Of course that prompted the crowd to yell for it on every subsequent possession, all of which had balls bouncing off the rim or the like. Hey, they needed something to cheer for.
Running clock in the land behind the cheddar curtain?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Running clock in the land behind the cheddar curtain?
Um, no.

Personally, I don't see the need for a running clock, even with a 71-5 game. After 32 minutes of game play, we go home.

It actually went quickly. Neither team was in the bonus either half. We started at 7PM and were off the floor by 8:10PM.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 11:52am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I probably have one per game or every other game (I've never really counted). I think it's very seldom more than one per game. But, in the aforementioned thread Rich aluded to, I've stated that we don't talk people out of the lane in these parts. Consequently, the kids don't typically need to be reminded.

I also said that I look for an effort to get out of the lane before whistling. I just don't see the big deal about calling this violation. Watch, now that I've said this here, I'll probably have three or four tonight.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We talk them out here, but I don't think I have to even do that more than once every other game. They don't need to be reminded.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post

Had a similar situation this year. I'm L and administering an inbound to A1 on the sideline. After inbounding the ball I turn to look into the low post and notice A1 running OOB past me (i.e., passed me on my OOB side) and didn't re-enter inbounds until he got to the other side of the key. Weird stuff but still made the call.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We started at 7PM and were off the floor by 8:10PM.
Now thats game management!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
We talk them out here, but I don't think I have to even do that more than once every other game. They don't need to be reminded.
Yeah, the players always get out once the opposing coach & fans started yelling for it.
"I was just about to call it but you helped out by reminding him, COACH!"
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
"I was just about to call it but you helped out by reminding him, COACH!"
I nearly told a coach last night: "The rule requires three whole seconds."
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I nearly told a coach last night: "The rule requires three whole seconds."
3 whole unbiased seconds
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
3 whole unbiased seconds
You don't think he naturally just counted fast?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

I also worked a girls V game last night where the final was 71-5 where my P called 3-seconds....G.L. vs. O.L.. Are you the same "Rich" who filled in as my P last night? If so, good to see you on the forum.