Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by sj
If their questioning you on rules but just won't believe you just calmly ask if they want to bet $100 on it.

Nah,just tell 'em that the winner gets to watch the rest of the game.
I made this bet last year with a Mother (who was also a "Mutha") regarding over the back. She came up to my partner and me at half-time (G-12 girls, AAU) and told us that we missed calling "over the back" 6 times in the first half. I pulled my rule book from my bag and politely told her that if she could show me in the book where "over the back" was listed as a foul, I would give her a $100 bill. If it wasn't there, she owed me a $100 bill. She looked for about 5 minutes, told me to "stuff it" and walked away. She still owes me $100. My partner cracked up at her actions.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, but I could have made this same bet regarding the term "jump stop" until last season when the committee put it in some commentary at the back.
So what's my point? Well, I don't have one.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Fletch. I have a question on the administration of the technicals. On a double tech, the FTs are skipped, and you go to the possession arrow, right? Is this different because the technicals, technically, weren't simultaneous?

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
In NFHS rules, fouls and "T's" are administered in sequence. In the NCAA, I believe, you would resort to the possession arrow, but am not sure about shooting the FT's. (Some of our esteemed NCAA fellows/ladies can pick that up.)
Therefore:
Holding foul - Team A 1 and 1
Technical on Team A - Two FT's Team B
Delay
Tech on Team B - Two FT's Team A w/ball out opposite Table
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Hey, Fletch. I have a question on the administration of the technicals. On a double tech, the FTs are skipped, and you go to the possession arrow, right? Is this different because the technicals, technically, weren't simultaneous?
"After the whistle, Player A jabs Player B (Defender) in chest. I whack a "T". Player B gets in A's face and starts taunting as A is trying to walk away. WHACK on B."

Coach,
I, too, would have considered a double-T as opposed to the False double. The reason being that even though there was a "delay", the action and reaction that precipitated the two fouls
  • was approximately at the same time;
  • was the result of a singular act;
  • was involving only two players.

Thus, I agree with you, no throws.

Had the players been moved (ie. away from the lane, to the other end), had the first foul been reported, had there been some measureable time where the second player had had a chance to think about what he was doing, then, I think, I would use the False-double-T
    mick
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 09:07am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    I think that the solutions presented by both fletch and mick can be supported from the (NF) rules. This sounds like you had to see it to know if the Ts were at approximately the same time or not. Personally, my guideline is that if I have time to blow the whistle, spit it out, then put it back in to blow a second time, then it's a FDF. If both fouls occur before I can get the whistle in my mouth for the first one, then it's a double T. That's a very rough guideline, but it works for me.

And just to be clear. . .
    Quote:
    Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
    In NFHS rules, fouls and "T's" are administered in sequence. In the NCAA, I believe, you would resort to the possession arrow, but am not sure about shooting the FT's.
    In the NCAA, FDFs are administered the same way as Fed. However, double fouls are put back in play at the POI (unless intentional or flagrant). With double fouls, no FTs are shot.

Chuck
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 09:17am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    I think that the solutions presented by both fletch and mick can be supported from the (NF) rules. This sounds like you had to see it to know if the Ts were at approximately the same time or not. Personally, my guideline is that if I have time to blow the whistle, spit it out, then put it back in to blow a second time, then it's a FDF. If both fouls occur before I can get the whistle in my mouth for the first one, then it's a double T. That's a very rough guideline, but it works for me.

That works for me too.
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:35am
    Official Forum Member

It doesn't work for me, I want to have the only right answer!!!JK
    After the 1st T Player B started clapping and saying stuff that wasn't all that bad, but when Player A tried to walk away, he kept up with him talking directly too him. I stared at him for a few seconds hoping he would stop but he didn't. So whack.
    Did I understand that in NCAA this would have been handled the same way with the exception of the ball being placed in bounds at POI?
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:54am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:

After the 1st T Player B started clapping and saying stuff that wasn't all that bad, but when Player A tried to walk away, he kept up with him talking directly too him. I stared at him for a few seconds hoping he would stop but he didn't. So whack.
    For me this would have been the dreaded and infamous False Double Foul. Then you shoot free throws at each end, penalizing them in the order then occurred. That's Fed. No clue about anything else.
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:00am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    I agree with Juulie. FDF, shoot all the FTs. In Fed, give the ball to the team who shot the last FTs. In NCAA, you'd go back to where the ball was before the first T.
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:05am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Did I understand that in NCAA this would have been handled the same way with the exception of the ball being placed in bounds at POI?
    Fletch,it's your call.The rule(FED 4-19-7d)says that they occur at "approximately the same time".If you feel that there is a time lag between the T's,the proper call can then be a false double foul made up of 2 T's.

Actually,that's pretty much what Dan,Chuck and mick have said already.
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:12am
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb just a thought.

Quote:
    fletch_irwin_m,

...when Player A tried to walk away, he kept up with him talking directly too him. I stared at him for a few seconds hoping he would stop but he didn't. said "Enough". So I didn't have to whack him, too.

Old Fri May 09, 2003, 12:28pm
    Official Forum Member

I believe I used the word Easy as I stared at him. Not focused on my posts today. I need to tighten up.
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 05:29pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    Yeah, but I could have made this same bet regarding the term "jump stop" until last season when the committee put it in some commentary at the back.
    The point is...the committee cost you an easy $100
    Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    While the term "jump stop" wasn't found in the rule book, the definition for it was. However, nowhere in the rule book is "over the back" described or defined.