The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Advancing the ball on a time out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85194-advancing-ball-time-out.html)

bainsey Thu Dec 29, 2011 03:37pm

Advancing the ball on a time out

Last night, 6th grade travel boys. (Not assigned by my board.) The game itself was better than 80% of the middle school games (and a few of the high school games) I've worked this year. Two 16-minute halves, better-than-decent skills for that age group, not many fouls, tied and halftime, home team wins by 5.

In the last ten seconds, V-1 secures a rebound from a three throw, and Coach V requests a time out. The Coach then asks my partner (early 20s) to advance the ball to midcourt for the throw-in. My partner checks with me, no can do.

After the final buzzer, all coaches thank us for our service. I took a minute to let Coach V know that advance-the-ball rule only exists in the NBA, not in high school or college. He replied that an opposing team tried the same in a previous game, and the officials allowed it. :eek: I advised him to "make some noise" if that happens again.

I may have asked this before, and I know the rule has been around for decades in the NBA, but can anyone explain to me the rationale for this rule?

Welpe Thu Dec 29, 2011 03:39pm

To make the end of the game more exciting. In other words, entertainment.

Adam Thu Dec 29, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 809150)
I advised him to "make some noise" if that happens again.

You advised a sixth grade coach to do what?

Toren Thu Dec 29, 2011 04:18pm

Is this like raise the roof? :D

Best just to say, it's not legal.

Welpe Thu Dec 29, 2011 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 809153)
You advised a sixth grade coach to do what?

Maybe he meant "make a joyful noise".

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 29, 2011 05:07pm

I've had kids rec league coaches ask me if they can do that on an inbound play. I tell them that it's an NBA rule, and when they move up to coach in the NBA, they can have the ball there.

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 29, 2011 05:18pm

Quote:

Last night, 6th grade travel boys. (Not assigned by my board.) The game itself was better than 80% of the middle school games (and a few of the high school games) I've worked this year. Two 16-minute halves, better-than-decent skills for that age group, not many fouls, tied and halftime, home team wins by 5.

In the last ten seconds, V-1 secures a rebound from a three throw, and Coach V requests a time out. The Coach then asks my partner (early 20s) to advance the ball to midcourt for the throw-in. My partner checks with me, no can do.

After the final buzzer, all coaches thank us for our service. I took a minute to let Coach V know that advance-the-ball rule only exists in the NBA, not in high school or college. He replied that an opposing team tried the same in a previous game, and the officials allowed it. :eek: I advised him to "make some noise" if that happens again.

I may have asked this before, and I know the rule has been around for decades in the NBA, but can anyone explain to me the rationale for this rule?

It's also a FIBA rule and it is a great rule. It promotes exciting finishes.

APG Thu Dec 29, 2011 06:04pm

Quote:

It makes the end of the game more exciting. FIBA rules also allow an advance after a timeout though I think it's to halfcourt rather than the 28 foot mark like in the NBA.

Adam Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 809162)
Maybe he meant "make a joyful noise".

I hope so, but who will provide the accompaniment during travel league games?

VaTerp Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18pm

If you saw the end of tonight's OKC-Dallas game, you see why they have this rule.

Back to back big time shots by Vince Carter followed by a Durant GW after a timeout.

APG Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 809187)
If you saw the end of tonight's OKC-Dallas game, you see why they have this rule.

Back to big time shots by Vince Carter followed by a Durant GW following a timeout.

Yup...at the very least, without the ability to advance, the game is all but over after Carter's 3 point shot.

bainsey Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 809166)
It's also a FIBA rule and it is a great rule. It promotes exciting finishes.

Didn't know it was in FIBA, too. Thanks for that.

Still, I believe you should get the ball where you had (read: earned) the ball. If an exciting finish is the justification, then let's move the ball to the 50-yard line after a football timeout, giving the offense a better chance to score.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45pm

Quote:

Two 16-minute halves....

Really??????? 6th grade??????? :eek:

refiator Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:15am

Just about everything the NBA does is all about scoring more points and selling tickets. Call me a purist, but I hate it :(

APG Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 809218)
Just about everything the NBA does is all about scoring more points and selling tickets. Call me a purist, but I hate it :(

I take it then that you\'re not liking the direction a lot of the major rule sets are going in then?