The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Advancing the ball on a time out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85194-advancing-ball-time-out.html)

fiasco Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 809222)
I take it then that you're not liking the direction a lot of the major rule sets are going in then?

Yup...times change. Only thing you can really do is learn to adapt.

I'm sure basketball purists in the '60s and '70s bemoaned the thought of a 3-point line. It's one of my favorite things about the game. The game will never stop changing.

refiator Fri Dec 30, 2011 01:02am

Quote:

I take it then that you're not liking the direction a lot of the major rule sets are going in then?

You could say that......But when in Rome........

BktBallRef Fri Dec 30, 2011 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 809218)
Just about everything the NBA does is all about scoring more points and selling tickets. Call me a purist, but I hate it :(

Quote:

Many of the positive things in the high school game have trickled down from the NBA. Just to name a few:

-30 second timeouts
-3 point shot
-Many officiating techniques, including the flex rotation system

Not all change is bad.

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 809191)
Didn't know it was in FIBA, too. Thanks for that.

Still, I believe you should get the ball where you had (read: earned) the ball. If an exciting finish is the justification, then let's move the ball to the 50-yard line after a football timeout, giving the offense a better chance to score.

Fundamentally, football is about field position and forward progress. I think basketball's "court position" is less relevant than football's field position.

What I would like to see in football is the 4-point field goal attempt. Attempts where the PLS (Point of Last Scrimmage) is beyond a certain spot would be worth 4 points instead of 3:
  • In Canadian football, this could be the 45-yard line
  • In American football, this could be the 35-yard line
This would make for exciting endings too. Down by 7, two field goals could tie the game!

grunewar Fri Dec 30, 2011 06:44am

Interesting......

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 809284)
What I would like to see in football is the 4-point field goal attempt. Attempts where the PLS (Point of Last Scrimmage) is beyond a certain spot would be worth 4 points instead of 3:
This would make for exciting endings too. Down by 7, two field goals could tie the game!

Risk vs reward.......may entice more long field goals.

Me likey.

Rich Fri Dec 30, 2011 09:35am

Quote:

Fundamentally, football is about field position and forward progress. I think basketball's "court position" is less relevant than football's field position.

And they'd then have to change the NFHS rules cause a long, missed FG that reaches the goal line is merely a touchback.

JRutledge Fri Dec 30, 2011 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 809218)
Just about everything the NBA does is all about scoring more points and selling tickets. Call me a purist, but I hate it :(

Quote:

I guess some do not realize that NBA Rules (like other pro leagues) almost always have had different rules than amateur levels. This rule has been around as long as I can remember, so I do not know what some think is "pure" about not having this rule?

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 809306)
And they'd then have to change the NFHS rules cause a long, missed FG that reaches the goal line is merely a touchback.

Risk/reward as mentioned earlier.

tref Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:47am

Funny how most think the advance spot is to halfcourt instead of the 28' mark in the f/c. They rebound & dribble/pass or inbound after a score & then request the t/o :rolleyes:

bainsey Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03am

Quote:

While it is indeed easier to move the ball around a basketball court, try sinking a three-pointer from 21 feet, then try the same from the division line. On average, I'd say you'd be more successful with the former. Reaching your desired spot matters.

Like anything else, I believe you need to earn your spot. The high school and college rules recognize this, which is why you get the ball where you had it last. As for 4-point field goals in the NFL, the reason why you don't get more points for longer field goals is the same reason you need to kick from "way back there," you didn't earn the spot.

And, if you're down by 7, get in the end zone.

The_Rookie Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 809165)
I've had kids rec league coaches ask me if they can do that on an inbound play. I tell them that it's an NBA rule, and when they move up to coach in the NBA, they can have the ball there.

LMAO..Great Response!!!