The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I know this is probably been asked a million times and if someone could point me at some resources that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering officiating basketball in the fall after the baseball season.

I'm looking for anything from sources of information, camp recommendations, uniforms, websites, etc.

Other than about 10 games involving 2nd-5th graders, I have no real experience other than watching some D3 college and HS games.

I've contacted the local Board but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for any help.

Alex
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
In our Board Classes are taught in July and September- so it is likely that they just haven't gotten around to calling you
The State Board should have the phone numbers of contacts in your area- give the President a call. Look on the internet for this information
Stew in Virginia
CVBOA
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anpump
I know this is probably been asked a million times and if someone could point me at some resources that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering officiating basketball in the fall after the baseball season.

I'm looking for anything from sources of information, camp recommendations, uniforms, websites, etc.

Other than about 10 games involving 2nd-5th graders, I have no real experience other than watching some D3 college and HS games.

I've contacted the local Board but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for any help.

Alex
Also contact the State HS Activities Association (or whatever it's called in Maine).
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Alex
Anpump,
What state do you reside? My recommedation is to start with the state's high school athletic association. I was were you are three years ago.

For example, here is Ohio's and the officials section of their website:

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/default.htm

They should have official instructors in your area.

http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/instructors/bk.htm

And this forum is an invaluable tool. Especially during the season, it's a great reference tool. Almost like an interactive case book with many experienced officials to learn from.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

State Board

I have recieved a response from my state board. And am just waiting for them to get me an info packet. I know the study sessions are starting in the fall.

I'm looking for resources that I can start studying from now so I'm not going into it completely green. I might have been unclear about that.

They're going to provide a rulebook and casebook but I'm trying to research from now.

Alex
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: State Board

Quote:
I have recieved a response from my state board. And am just waiting for them to get me an info packet. I know the study sessions are starting in the fall.

I'm looking for resources that I can start studying from now so I'm not going into it completely green. I might have been unclear about that.

They're going to provide a rulebook and casebook but I'm trying to research from now.

Alex
Invest in a NASO (National Organization of Sports Officials) membership too. Along with this membership you get access to "Referee" Magazine every month, and discounts on several books and pamphlets that deal with officiating in many sports.

http://www.naso.org/

Peace