The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Feel free to pile on (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84637-feel-free-pile.html)

fullor30 Sun Dec 18, 2011 07:36pm

Feel free to pile on

Good ref friend who i kid about not knowing rules texts me with the following
And I quote,

"a1 shoots and ball goes out of play, A2 bumps b2 , what do you have?

I asked him to define 'bump' I asked if contact enough to be worthy of a foul during a live ball to which he said yes.

He claims since it's a dead ball, it has to be called a flagrant t . Told him to read 10.3.7 casebook

Fire away!

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 18, 2011 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 805930)
And I quote,

I asked him to define 'bump' I asked if contact enough to be worthy of a foul during a live ball to which he said yes.

He claims since it's a dead ball, it has to be called a flagrant t . Told him to read 10.3.7 casebook

Fire away!

Is he a good friend, a good ref, or both?

Rob1968 Sun Dec 18, 2011 07:56pm

The way I understand such a situation is: if the contact would not be worthy of an intentional or flagrant foul call, if the ball was live, ignore it, when the ball is dead. Maybe a word or two to the proposed offender is in line, to prevent escalation and/or retaliation.
Have your friend look at the last sentence in 4-19-3, which talks aboput the severity of an act that might be deemed intentional. And then have him read 4-19-4, regarding a flagrant foul.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2011 09:08pm

Do I know him? :D

Peace

fullor30 Sun Dec 18, 2011 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 805945)
Do I know him? :D

Peace

I seriously doubt it, not from your neck of the woods, more of a local guy.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 805958)
I seriously doubt it, not from your neck of the woods, more of a local guy.

What do you consider a local guy? I was in Dundee just this week and Cary last week. I work all over the place and have worked at least one game in every conference in the "Chicago area." You might be surprised who I know. ;)

Peace

BktBallRef Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 805930)
And I quote,

Fire away!

You asked the wrong question.

You should have asked, would the contact warrant an intentional or flagrant foul during a live ball?

fullor30 Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 805978)
What do you consider a local guy? I was in Dundee just this week and Cary last week. I work all over the place and have worked at least one game in every conference in the "Chicago area." You might be surprised who I know. ;)

Peace

He really doesn't get out of his area and doesn't know as many officials as you or I. I'm also mnot going tom throw him under the bus.......he's a good guy (just misinformed!)

fullor30 Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 805982)
You asked the wrong question.

You should have asked, would the contact warrant an intentional or flagrant foul during a live ball?

I did think about that, but texting sometimes limits your writing style. You're correct, that would be better.

fullor30 Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:21am

[QUOTE=fullor30;806036]He really doesn't get out of his area and doesn't know as many officials as you or I. I also want to keep him anonymous as not to embarass him.....he is after all, a friend(a misinformed one at that!)

fullor30 Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:30am

He really doesn't get out of his area and doesn't know as many officials as you or I. I'm also going to keep it anonymous as I don't want to embarass him.

Maybe catch you at next social

JRutledge Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 806049)
He really doesn't get out of his area and doesn't know as many officials as you or I. I'm also going to keep it anonymous as I don't want to embarass him.

Maybe catch you at next social

I was being a little sarcastic about you giving me his name. I would not expect you to tell me who that was or where he was from here. Heck we all make mistakes or misconstrue rules over the course of our career.

Peace

BktBallRef Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 806037)
I did think about that, but texting sometimes limits your writing style. You're correct, that would be better.

Or autocorrect completely screws it up! :D

Adam Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 806068)
Or autocorrect completely screws it up! :D

I afresh

mbyron Mon Dec 19, 2011 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 806069)
I afresh

Metro.