The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 10:20pm

Does anybody have a copy of a ruling, a memo or a letter or something for the NCAA which states that it is legal for a shooter to catch his own airball. I've got it for NF because they include it in their case book but the NCAA does not include it in theirs.

Thanks
Old Sun Apr 27, 2003, 02:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sj
Does anybody have a copy of a ruling, a memo or a letter or something for the NCAA which states that it is legal for a shooter to catch his own airball. I've got it for NF because they include it in their case book but the NCAA does not include it in theirs.

Thanks
I know of no such memo or special ruling for the NCAA. Mainly because the rules for both NF and NCAA are the same and the ruling is in the definition itself.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 27, 2003, 03:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by sj

Thanks
It's already in the NCAA rulebook.Also uses almost the same language as the NFHS casebook play,except for including extra language to cover a shot clock violation.Take a look at Rule 4-65-1 AR33 on page 78 of the NCAA rulebook.Spells it out explicitly as being legal.NCAA "approved rulings" are basically casebook plays that are incorporated directly into the rulebook for easier reference.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 27th, 2003 at 04:02 AM]
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 09:50am

Rut- You're right that the ruling is in the definitions and such. The problem is when you try to explain all that by using definitions, etc. the eyes of the person you are explaining it to glaze over and they go into a trance. Then they say you are full of it and tell you that you don't know the rules. So I don't even try anymore. : ) That's why I was hoping it was in writing citing this particular play. Turned out the new NCAA book includes it as a A.R. The old one didn't. I just had an old book.