The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS.ORG has the new rules posted for next season.

They include: State's have option of imposing a mercy rule, top lane spaces remaining empty, official signal for a kicked ball, direct technical on coach for illegal participation of a disqualified player, and basket interference for snapping a movable ring into the ball. They also approved a 10 panel ball.

Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.org/press/basketball_rule_change03.html

Here's the link for those interested in reading the release.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

So it's actually the lane spaces nearest the shooter which will remain vacant, not the spaces below the block. I guess they didn't like the NCAA Women's rule.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 07:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

WOW!!! A mechanic for a kicked ball!!! I wonder which leg we're supposed to use. As long as it's not the middle one, I'm OK with this.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 07:44pm
In Memoriam

Cool I agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
WOW!!! A mechanic for a kicked ball!!! I wonder which leg we're supposed to use. As long as it's not the middle one, I'm OK with this.
That 'straight' thing about a foot can be a hard one.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
That 'straight' thing about a foot can be a hard one.
I'm years ahead of them on this one!

Problem is, I had almost broke myself of this habit.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 08:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I wonder if you make this call too often if you can go blind?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm very disappointed that they didn't adopt some form of the NCAA "team control" foul. I think it was a very good change at the college level and would also be good for HS. Just my opinion.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Special emphasis on getting the open hand straight up on the kick or you will look like a goose stepping nazi.

I wonder if they brought in this menchanic in advance of the shot clock so we wouldn't have to learn two new mechanics at once?

Just great now I will have to spend the first half of the season lining up the players on the lane correctly.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

From the press release:

"Statistical information shows that offensive rebounding has increased in free-throw situations since the switch back to the ball hitting the rim as point of release, rather than the release of the ball by the free-throw shooter."

I've been saying this for years! One year when I was an assistant (the first or second year of the rule change) we usually had the tallest players on the court and had bad free throw shooters, and it never hurt us. The stats made a case for missing the second on purpose, we'd get the rebound so often.

The change is good, but they chose the wrong spaces to leave open. Those spaces in the front, when limited to when the ball hits the rim, are nearly useless. Missed free throws don't kick off to the side at a 90-degree angle. Often they kick at a 45-degree angle right to the shooter's teammate.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 09:18am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

The change is good, but they chose the wrong spaces to leave open. Those spaces in the front, when limited to when the ball hits the rim, are nearly useless. Missed free throws don't kick off to the side at a 90-degree angle. Often they kick at a 45-degree angle right to the shooter's teammate.
Seems kinda ridiculous to me...it's almost like they said "Well, we can't do it EXACTLY like the NCAA women's mechanic, so we'll change it a little bit"...will not change the fact that the best spot to be in will still be held by the offensive team.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 09:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Good for officials.

Quote:

Well maybe as a coach you think the space close to the shooter is not that important, but as an official I love it. One less person to keep track of, that is not going to get most rebounds anyway. And with the current restrictions on the FTs, the block space being left open would only create a bigger advantage in my opinion to the defense. The change would be better if they let the players enter the lane on the release.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Apr 24th, 2003 at 10:26 AM]
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: Good for officials.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

And with the current restrictions on the FTs, the block space being left open would only create a bigger advantage in my opinion to the offense. The change would be better if they let the players enter the lane on the release.
Jrut
Why do you say that the defense is disadvantaged by moving back a space?? I think that the PA coach is dead on right with the ball on rim rule. It is a long way to go for the block player to get any rebounds that come off with any kind of force. They can only get the ones that fall right into their lap. That second position is critical, and if you have it, you can pretty much neutralize the third position. And nobody is getting into that block area when you have to hold for the ball to hit the rim.

If you have a reason that I am missing, please state it. I am not saying you're wrong, but I think that PA coach made a good case for where rebounds go and I am not sure what your reasoning is.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Good for officials.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

Jrut
Why do you say that the defense is disadvantaged by moving back a space??
I meant offense. It was a typo on my part.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I do think that this change will tip the balance somewhat towards the defensive team. Anytime you remove two offensive players from the area, their odds are bound to go up. If they were to have vacated the lower block, it would almost guarantee every rebound for the defense. I'm of the philosophy that the FT rebounds should be close to a 50/50 chance with a slight advantage to the defense. Before, the 3rd/4th defender in the pair of 3rd spaces had to be concerned with blocking out the offensive players above them (the shooter and possibly two more). Now there is only the shooter to worry about. One of them will be free to go aggressively after the ball or sandwhich the offensive player below him.