The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   coaching box (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83722-coaching-box.html)

benbret Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:53am

coaching box

NF Rules. High School game in Virginia. The home school does not have the coaching boxes marked. The home school did not want to put down tape afraid it would hurt the new floor finish. The R told both teams that since no boxes were marked the visiting team coach could stand but the home team coach had to sit. Anybody ever heard of this rule and if so where is it written?

Freddy Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:59am

A Floor You Could Eat Off Of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 801753)
Anybody ever heard of this rule and if so where is it written?

No. It isn't.

1-13-2 states the rule, but book is silent about any sort of consequence of breach of it. Casebook 1-13-1 speaks of reporting the situation to your state association, but that is regarding a bench location issue.
Around here we put down the tape and reported these oversights to the state, and the lack of lines was taken care of soon thereafter. Can't think of a gym that isn't permanently marked now.

Of course, "When in Nome, do as the Nomans do." Although you mentioned "NF rules", your state may handle it the way you cited.

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:06pm

This is the policy in some states, at least one.

BillyMac Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15pm

Still The One (Orleans) ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801759)
This is the policy in some states, at least one.

True in the Constitution State:

The Coaching Box must be marked. It is measured 28 feet from the end
line toward midcourt, then 14 feet down back towards the end line. Only
head coaches are permitted to stand during play. If home management
refuses to mark the coaching boxes with tape, the home team head coach
must remain seated for the entire game. However, the visiting team head
coach will be allowed to stand in an area designated by the officials.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1171/3...26aa3009_m.jpg

tjones1 Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:18pm

In Illinois it's simple, no boxes means the coaches have to sit.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:56pm

NFHS R10-S5-A1 (Head Coach's Rule), known in layman's terms as the Seat Belt Rule, has been virtually unchanged since the NBCUSA adopted it for boys'/girl's high school and men's college competition in 1970-71. Of course it was never enforced at the men's college level and when the NBCUSA split into the NFHS Basketball Rules and NCAA Basketball Rules Committees the NCAA Committee dropped the rule.

The rule as written is a seat belt rule but with a provision that a StateHSAA can adopt a Coaching (not Coach's ) Box with the stipulation that the CB be marked, even if a StateHSAA adopts a CB, if it not marked at both benches the "Seat Belt Rule" prevails for both teams.

MTD,Sr.

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 01:38pm

Unless you're in Connecticut, Mark. I like their approach, actually, as it gives some incentive for the schools to paint it properly.

BillyMac Sun Dec 04, 2011 04:08pm

Seat Belts Save Lives ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801783)
Unless you're in Connecticut, Mark. I like their approach, actually, as it gives some incentive for the schools to paint it properly.

Unless you're one of those rare coaches, and there are a small few, who don't do a lot of standing in a game, and actually do much of their coaching from their seat on the bench. I run into one, or two, of them almost every season. It could actually create some type of small advantage to have half of their games, i.e., home games, played under "Seat Belt" rules. So, in these rare cases, it might be an incentive for school, with such a coach, to not paint the lines.

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Dec 04, 2011 04:10pm

My school has it marked properly but most of our officials just count off plastic chairs on the bench as the box.In our case 7 chairs from the chair closest to the table form the 14 ft box.

JRutledge Sun Dec 04, 2011 04:49pm

This is just a rule they need to get rid of. Let the damn coaches roam the sideline. What difference does it make. As long as they stay with the 28 foot mark, why do we care where they stand or sit? I am so sick and tired of this stupid rule. It just becomes a distraction to where our focus really should be.

Peace

Camron Rust Sun Dec 04, 2011 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801809)
This is just a rule they need to get rid of. Let the damn coaches roam the sideline. What difference does it make. As long as they stay with the 28 foot mark, why do we care where they stand or sit? I am so sick and tired of this stupid rule. It just becomes a distraction to where our focus really should be.

Peace

It doesn't really matter what size you make it, they'd still have a range they'd be limited to and we'd still have SOME point that we'd have to enforce. 28' to baseline, fine, you'd still have to keep them in that area.

BillyMac Sun Dec 04, 2011 05:13pm

Jack In the Box ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801809)

Talk about distractions. I don't like it when coaches get too close to the table, and either purposely, or accidentally, get in my way as I report fouls to the table, or look toward the table for incoming substitutes.

Nothing more challenging than trying to report a foul "through" a coach who is about ready to be charged with a technical foul, or is politely "pleading" his case to me.

For all I care, if they change the rule and let them mosey on down to the endline, that wouldn't bother me one bit, but until the NFHS changes the rule, I'm enforcing the present rule, when it comes to my attention, which is usually when he's "yelling" at me. If he's not "yelling", I really don't pay too much attention to a couple of lines on the court, except the the couple of times a year when he gets in my way as I'm about to become the new lead.

JRutledge Sun Dec 04, 2011 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 801815)
It doesn't really matter what size you make it, they'd still have a range they'd be limited to and we'd still have SOME point that we'd have to enforce. 28' to baseline, fine, you'd still have to keep them in that area.

I do agree, but at least it would not be a smaller area and often the 28 foot mark would be a good starting point. Most courts already have that mark and the problem is that the other marking is usually a problem.

Peace

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 06:18pm

I don't understand why schools don't paint that in. FCOL, this was a newly painted floor, and they didn't put it in. I don't get it.

just another ref Sun Dec 04, 2011 06:32pm

There is a school in our area which recently had its floor, among other things, redone, after damage from a tornado. The floor is immaculate. The coaching boxes are in their proper places, but the benches are not. They straddle the division line, one on each side of the court.