The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Panel Wristbands (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83504-panel-wristbands.html)

flsh224 Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:41pm

Panel Wristbands

Please give me your interpretation on the panel wristbands. I have seen them worn in football and baseball, but a team in the area is wearing them for basketball this year.

They meet the size requirements for wristbands, but they have a clear velcro panel on them.

Legal/Illegal?

tjones1 Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:43pm

I guess I don't know what these are... picture, please.

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsh224 (Post 800433)
Please give me your interpretation on the panel wristbands. I have seen them worn in football and baseball, but a team in the area is wearing them for basketball this year.

They meet the size requirements for wristbands, but they have a clear velcro panel on them.

Legal/Illegal?

Havent seen them yet, but a clear velcro panel on a red wristband doesnt sound legal to me.

mbyron Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:54pm

I would say no, based on 3-5-4c:
"If worn, only one wristband is permitted on each wrist, each must be worn on the arm below the elbow, each must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned, and each must be a maximum of 4 inches."

If it has plays on it, it's not unadorned.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:55pm

I would suggest you get a ruling on this from your state or local association on this. I would say no at first glance and the nature of the material. But sometimes the local associations allow things that are not specifically covered. We can only give you what we "think" and you have to work within the system or with the people you work with.

Peace

flsh224 Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:56pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:58pm

Illegal!

Thats quite funny though, our game moves too fast for players to check the playbook while running up & down the court.

flsh224 Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 800443)
If it has plays on it, it's not unadorned.

Thanks-this is the best interp against them yet. I will not see this team as an official, but it just didn't seem right to me.

stiffler3492 Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 800448)
Illegal!

Thats quite funny though, our game moves too fast for players to check the playbook while running up & down the court.

Imagine those big play cards with four images on them that some football teams use. Now that would be funny.

Scratch85 Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsh224 (Post 800446)

Almost as useful as a flip-switch thingy. :p

Freddy Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:17pm

Order Me Up One!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsh224 (Post 800446)

Can I get one of these with the Casebook on it? You know, for those quick situational decisions that have to be made...

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsh224 (Post 800450)
Thanks-this is the best interp against them yet. I will not see this team as an official, but it just didn't seem right to me.

And this is why you need to ask the people in your local area about this. Adornment or not, your state might say they are OK or totally outlawed. Those are the people you work for and they can make that known to the schools and the officials about the legality of these items. As a football official they are allowed, but only allowed if worn on the wrist. Your state might make a distinction as to size, style and color.

Peace

Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:12pm

I agree with Rut.

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:26pm

Additionally it has to be a single solid color (except for one manufacturer's logo). It doesn't look like it fits that requirement.

bainsey Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:28pm

Hmmm... what would ours look like? PCA map? :D