The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Spin Move..Continuation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83449-spin-move-continuation.html)

The_Rookie Sat Nov 26, 2011 02:50pm

Spin Move..Continuation?

Boys JV game few days ago....B4 starts to make a spin move in the lane toward the basket with his arms moving up..I blow a foul on A3 and the basket is good and rule +1...

Coach jumps off bench and sez that is not continuation when player is doing a spin move (IE: on the floor).

Appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks!

Adam Sat Nov 26, 2011 02:54pm

Help in the form of advice: stop listening to coaches.

BillyMac Sat Nov 26, 2011 03:22pm

My Dad's Favorite Word Learned From German Prisoners in WWII ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 800163)
On the floor.

Coach talk. Fan talk. Player talk.

Verboten for officials to use.

APG Sat Nov 26, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Coach jumps off bench and sez that is not continuation when player is doing a spin move (IE: on the floor).

Being "on the floor" has nothing to do with this...in fact, get out of the habit of ever using that verbiage. You very well can be "on the floor" and still have continuous motion apply.

Scrapper1 Sat Nov 26, 2011 03:46pm

Once the player has begun the habitual motion that precedes the throwing for goal, the player is allowed to continue that motion, even if it includes stepping, pivoting and/or jumping. NFHS 4-11-2. As usual, it's imperative to know your definitions.

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 09:53am

Quote:

Boys JV game few days ago....B4 starts to make a spin move in the lane toward the basket with his arms moving up..I blow a foul on A3 and the basket is good and rule +1...

Appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks!

May as well lose that mindset as well. Gathered is all that matters.

Smitty Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 800358)
Gathered is all that matters.

Says who?

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04am

Are you saying that the arms must be going upward in a shooting motion to get continuation?

Smitty Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:06am

No I'm asking where does it say that "gathered" is the indication of when the habitual motion that precedes the throwing for goal is perceived?

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:22am

It says "gather" in a rulebook that is written much better than the book you're probably referring to.

4-9-2
...while holding the ball.

4-41-2
...A players is trying for goal when the player has the ball...

Synonym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freddy Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26am

Good Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 800367)
No I'm asking where does it say that "gathered" is the indication of when the habitual motion that precedes the throwing for goal is perceived?

You do have a good point. The term "gathered" or the phrase "gathered the ball" appears nowhere in either rule- or casebook. It does, however, for many, serve as an apt description of what occurs "when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" (4-41-3), which starts the try.

Referee Magazine's recent article (November 2011, p. 17,19, "Hoop and Some Harm ('And 1')) did a rather good job of describing exactly what your question refers to.

Smitty Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27am

Gathered implies something that happens after the player has been dribbling. Not all shots are initiated off a dribble. Holding the ball covers much more than gathering. In other words, gathering is a subset of what it means to be holding the ball. But it is not everything.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39am

Gathering is the logical thing someone does after a dribble to shoot the ball. It is the term I use and that many at high levels use even if that is not the specific language it helps people understand what should be called.

Peace

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 800372)
Gathered implies something that happens after the player has been dribbling. Not all shots are initiated off a dribble. Holding the ball covers much more than gathering. In other words, gathering is a subset of what it means to be holding the ball. But it is not everything.

Good point, but I thought we were discussing plays to the basket. There's usually no doubt that FTs are coming when a shooter is fouled on a catch & shoot situation.

My point to the OP was that the players arms moving up has nothing to do with the habitual shooting motion. I know a TON of guys who believe this is true :rolleyes:

Smitty Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 800381)
Good point, but I thought we were discussing plays to the basket. There's usually no doubt that FTs are coming when a shooter is fouled on a catch & shoot situation.

My point to the OP was that the players arms moving up has nothing to do with the habitual shooting motion. I know a TON of guys who believe this is true :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I'm not sure I agree that arms moving upward is never an indication of the shooting motion. You have to make a subjective decision about the intent of the player and arms moving upward (while holding the ball) could definitely help make the decision.