The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can A Dribbler Set Her Own Screen ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83448-can-dribbler-set-her-own-screen.html)

letemplay Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02pm

PC-screen

How about the dribble-handoff a lot of teams run with their motion or flex offense? Many times that play looks a lot like a moving screen to me.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 800385)
How about the dribble-handoff a lot of teams run with their motion or flex offense? Many times that play looks a lot like a moving screen to me.

Assuming the "moving screen" to which you refer is illegal, you should call it until they stop.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 800385)

It can be. One that you'll see occasionally is where a A2 curls around the A1 (who is holding the ball). As A2 passes A1, A1 pivots into the path of B2 who was guarding A2 and while passing the ball to A2 who is now heading down the lane for an undefended layup. It gets missed more than it is probably called, but that is an illegal screen.

billyu2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 800416)
It can be. One that you'll see occasionally is where a A2 curls around the A1 (who is holding the ball). As A2 passes A1, A1 pivots into the path of B2 who was guarding A2 and while passing the ball to A2 who is now heading down the lane for an undefended layup. It gets missed more than it is probably called, but that is an illegal screen.

Could be, assuming there is contact; but quite often A1 pivots and continues to move (roll) anticipating a possible return pass. In these cases I would think A1 is no longer screening and the contact most likely would be incidental, would you agree?

just another ref Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 800428)
Could be, assuming there is contact; but quite often A1 pivots and continues to move (roll) anticipating a possible return pass. In these cases I would think A1 is no longer screening and the contact most likely would be incidental, would you agree?

This play would have to be judged on an individual basis. But intent is not the main concern here. Even if A1's movement is in anticipation of a return pass, if in doing so he hip-checks a defender and hinders his progress he can still be called for a foul.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 800428)

If A1 pivots and, in doing so, knocks B2 off of A2, it IS a screen no matter what A1 wanted to do. Usually when I see this, it was contact that freed up A2 who is now going down the lane with the ball undefended.

billyu2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800431)
This play would have to be judged on an individual basis. But intent is not the main concern here. Even if A1's movement is in anticipation of a return pass, if in doing so he hip-checks a defender and hinders his progress he can still be called for a foul.

I agree with that situation. However, most often when I see this play A1 pivots out of his screen soon enough to block the defender's path (the defender is momentarily caught behind A1) as A1 continues his roll toward the basket. The defender, either surprised or not wanting to cause contact into the back of A1 stops or adjusts his path and there is no obvious contact so play on, correct?

billyu2 Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 800460)
If A1 pivots and, in doing so, knocks B2 off of A2, it IS a screen no matter what A1 wanted to do. Usually when I see this, it was contact that freed up A2 who is now going down the lane with the ball undefended.

Right, if while pivoting A1 contacts B2 we've got to call something-if not an illegal screen then charging. But as I replied to JAR, in our area players seem adept at pivoting out of the set screen early enough to block the path of the defender without causing contact. When I was in high school and when I coached we ran a "shuffle" offense where the wing opposite the ball would cut off the high post and if the defender tried to go around underneath, the post would pivot right into his path and keep right on going toward the basket. Never once had it called; but then how could it? The sudden pivot caused the defender to hesitate which is all the cutter or dribbler needed.

just another ref Mon Nov 28, 2011 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 800484)
I agree with that situation. However, most often when I see this play A1 pivots out of his screen soon enough to block the defender's path (the defender is momentarily caught behind A1) as A1 continues his roll toward the basket. The defender, either surprised or not wanting to cause contact into the back of A1 stops or adjusts his path and there is no obvious contact so play on, correct?

Correct. A little information is a dangerous thing, and this is an example. Many coaches yell "Moving screen! He can't do that!" But there was no contact, so there is no infraction.