The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

NBA fundraiser game

We have some nba players comming up to Anchorage and I get to be one of the officials to run the game. was wondering where I might find some nba rules online. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

2010-11 NBA Rules:
http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/me...-Rule-Book.pdf

2010-11 NBA Case Book:
http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/me...BACaseBook.pdf
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the link. alot to digest. lol
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

There are definitely rules differences, but a lot of the rules are the same as their NFHS/NCAA counterparts.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Years ago we had a game at my local HS between the Portland Trailblazer alumni team and a team of HS teachers to raise funds for the school's athletic fund. I was asked to referee the game with one of the teachers who was a buddy of mine and also a ref. We worked it as if it was a Globetrotter game - using "funny" mechanics, yelling stuff at the players, etc. They loved it. I also gave a jersey and whistle to one of my grandsons and had him work the court as if he was the third official. He was 11 at the time. He made a few calls and the players gave him a high five. During a timeout, I had him go over to the Blazer huddle and issue a T to Michael Harper, who I knew. Everyone just cracked up. It was the most fun I ever had doing a game. And oh yeah - obviously I donated my services.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how the game is going to be played yet. if the players will play themselves or a local team. Either way it will be a great time. That portland game sounds like it was a hoot to watch and ref Mark. any help with NBA mechanics?
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
any help with NBA mechanics?
Check out this video (it runs over an hour) and pay close attention to my personal hero, Earl Strom, especially at the 1:17:30 mark when he lets Danny Ainge know who's really the boss.

1986 NBA ECSF Game 2 - Atlanta Hawks @ Boston Celtics - 4-29-1986 - YouTube
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know how the game is going to be played yet. if the players will play themselves or a local team. Either way it will be a great time. That portland game sounds like it was a hoot to watch and ref Mark. any help with NBA mechanics?
What specifically? And how closely would they be following NBA rules and timing? If the other (two) officials don't know NBA mechanics, I'd just pregame to use what everyone is used to doing. These are some mechanics differences:

-5 second count by the lead for a back-to-basket count
-If you're using a shot clock, then no chopping of the 8 second count (which is a hard 8 count)...16 is the magic number
-Two handed reporting...walk and talk
-No long switching in the backcourt
-Fouls in the frontcourt, calling official always becomes trail and will inbound the ball at the cloest spot to where play was interrupted but no closer than the FT extended...the other two officials go to a different position. If shooting free throws, then the calling official always goes tableside.
-Play in the frontcourt, trail has last second shot. Play in the backcourt/in transition and less than 5.0 seconds, then slot has last second shot...otherwise trail has it. Off a jump ball at center court and less than 5 seconds, lead will have it, otherwise trail has it. Jump ball at the free throw circle and less than 5.0, then the official at the 28 foot mark has the shot, otherwise, trail will have it.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
-Play in the frontcourt, trail has last second shot. Play in the backcourt/in transition and less than 5.0 seconds, then slot has last second shot...otherwise trail has it.
Has that changed? When I worked with NBA rules many many moons ago in a minor pro league, it was exactly the opposite. The slot had the last second shot unless it came from the backcourt with less than 5 seconds, in which case the Trail took it.

Completely different question regarding shot clock. If there is a defensive foul in the backcourt, isn't the shot clock reset to 24? I know that in the frontcourt, there's no reset unless it's under 14 (then it's set to 14). But I thought that in the backcourt, there was a full reset. The clock operator at a game I did recently told me there was no reset at all until it got under 14.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

If I were you, I'd contact your assignor and make for 100% sure what "kind" of game this is going to be. Is this meant to be a real competitive game, where they're expecting you to actually enforce the rules, or is this a "celebrity" or "all-star" type game, where you're going to get laughed out of the gym if you call defensive 3 seconds?

If it's the latter, I honestly wouldn't worry about brushing up on NBA rules. Just call the obvious.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Has that changed? When I worked with NBA rules many many moons ago in a minor pro league, it was exactly the opposite. The slot had the last second shot unless it came from the backcourt with less than 5 seconds, in which case the Trail took it.

Completely different question regarding shot clock. If there is a defensive foul in the backcourt, isn't the shot clock reset to 24? I know that in the frontcourt, there's no reset unless it's under 14 (then it's set to 14). But I thought that in the backcourt, there was a full reset. The clock operator at a game I did recently told me there was no reset at all until it got under 14.
I don't know how recently the mechanic has changed. You'd have to ask btaylor about that. As far as the shot clock, yes, all defensive fouls in which the ball will be inbounded in the backcourt means a full reset of the shot clock.

Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

APG.....what is the hard 8 count you speak of? chop 8 count? and the 16? i believe it is more of a celeb allstar thing. the pros will play eachother though. no season so don't know how serious they will get. lol
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
APG.....what is the hard 8 count you speak of? chop 8 count? and the 16? i believe it is more of a celeb allstar thing. the pros will play eachother though. no season so don't know how serious they will get. lol
8 seconds, period. They dont count by hand in the League when the shot clock strikes 16 its a violation. If its an end of quarter situation with 12 seconds on the game clock, it becomes an violation with 4 seconds remaining.

In my experiences, professional athletes always want to win so be prepared!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I say a hard 8 count, I mean the 8 second count doesn't reset if the defense knocks the ball OOB, or the offense calls a timeout. This is different than NCAA/NFHS which would give the offense a new 10 second count after the defense knocks the ball OOB/calls a timeout/IW, etc. The 8 second count only resets when specific things occur (defensive foul in backcourt, technical foul on defense, kick/punched ball, etc.)

If you're officiating with the 24 second shot clock, then you don't swing the 8 second cuout like you would if you were doing a 10 second count in the backcourt. After a throw-in, the 8 second count starts when the ball is legally touched inbounds (no matter what), and thus, when the shot clock hits 16 (under normal situations), you have an 8 second violation. Now you won't be using a shot clock, then go ahead and swing your arm for the count.

Last edited by APG; Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 04:43pm. Reason: clarification...the shot clock wouldn't start on the legal touch after a jump ball
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

got it. thanks for the clarification. we will be using a shot clock. Something new for me. So no visible 8 count in the backcourt. Sound right?