The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Deliberate lane violations on free throw? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82921-deliberate-lane-violations-free-throw.html)

VTOfficial Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:59pm

Deliberate lane violations on free throw?

Hey everyone,

This question is on the IAABO refresher exam:

"A-1 is fouled with 5 tenths of a second on the game clock and the score tied. A-1 makes the first of a one and one. Team B requests and is granted a time-out. Following the time-out team B places four players in the marked lane spaces. As A-1 releases the ball attempting to miss the free throw, all four players step into the lane committing a lane violation. A-1's attempt is unsuccessful. The official awards A-1 a substitute free throw. During the substitute free throw, team B again violates and A-1 deliberately misses the free throw. The referee notifies the team B coach that the next time his/her team commits a lane violation his/her team will be charged with a technical foul. Is the official correct?"

I am stumped because I cannot find any direct or even similar references to this situation in the rule or case book. The way I am interpreting this is that the first violation is treated as though it were accidental. Since all team members then stepped into the lane a second time, it could be interpreted as huddling and a warning is issued based on 4-47. If team B then were to step in and violate a third time, it would be a technical foul based on 10-1-5-d.

To answer the question, I would say YES the official is correct. I am not 100% sure though that this situation constitutes huddling.

Any thoughts, comments, discussion, and interpretations are welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

jTheUmp Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:08pm

I'd think you could use 10-1-5 as your basis for a technical foul in this situation, as I'd interpret this tactic as "Allow[ing] the game to develop into an actionless contest", especially if you have an "all four players violating" situation as described. An action like that is clearly intentional.

Raymond Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:09pm

Maybe under 10-1-5 in the FED rule book?

Raymond Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 797252)
I'd think you could use 10-1-5 as your basis for a technical foul in this situation, as I'd interpret this tactic as "Allow[ing] the game to develop into an actionless contest", especially if you have an "all four players violating" situation as described. An action like that is clearly intentional.

J, I hope you're a great mind b/c we think alike. :D

Adam Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:34pm

Don't use 10-1-5d, no need. 10-1-5 is good enough, and doesn't require official warnings. If you try applying 10-1-5d, the coach will try it again with only B1. This tactic is illegal even if B1 is the only participant.

referee99 Sat Nov 05, 2011 08:44pm

Funny,

After the first two times violating, I didn't see them violate the third time. My game is over.

APG Sat Nov 05, 2011 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 797302)
After the first two times violating, I didn't see them violate the third time. My game is over.

Why forfeit the game...unless you're saying you wouldn't "see" the violation. Call the T and that solves you problem.

BktBallRef Sat Nov 05, 2011 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 797306)
Why forfeit the game...unless you're saying you wouldn't "see" the violation. Call the T and that solves you problem.

"...I didn't see them violate the third time."

APG Sat Nov 05, 2011 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 797310)
"...I didn't see them violate the third time."

Perhaps if the violation isn't that blatant...but if it's as egerious as made in the OP, wouldn't you say an official would look stupid and silly not calling the obvious here? :confused:

BktBallRef Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 797314)
Perhaps if the violation isn't that blatant...but if it's as egerious as made in the OP, wouldn't you say an official would look stupid and silly not calling the obvious here? :confused:

Pretty sure the comment was tongue in cheek. However, I see obvious violations not called all the time.

Is Coach B going to complain? About what? "We were doing something illegal and they wouldn't call it." Screw that. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I don't have a problem not calling one in that situation.

Scrapper1 Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57pm

I'd prefer to address it. "Coach, we can't let this become an actionless game. If you keep violating, we'll have to issue the T." Pretty simple. I don't like purposely "missing" the obvious violation.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 07, 2011 04:00am

We had a previous thread on this several years ago after I conjured up this exact scenario. The conclusion was to do what Scrapper just posted.

26 Year Gap Mon Nov 07, 2011 08:12pm

"Well, boys, it looks like he'll shoot till he makes it."

26 Year Gap Mon Nov 07, 2011 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 797250)
Hey everyone,

This question is on the IAABO refresher exam:

"A-1 is fouled with 5 tenths of a second on the game clock and the score tied. A-1 makes the first of a one and one. Team B requests and is granted a time-out. Following the time-out team B places four players in the marked lane spaces. As A-1 releases the ball attempting to miss the free throw, all four players step into the lane committing a lane violation. A-1's attempt is unsuccessful. The official awards A-1 a substitute free throw. During the substitute free throw, team B again violates and A-1 deliberately misses the free throw. The referee notifies the team B coach that the next time his/her team commits a lane violation his/her team will be charged with a technical foul. Is the official correct?"

I am stumped because I cannot find any direct or even similar references to this situation in the rule or case book. The way I am interpreting this is that the first violation is treated as though it were accidental. Since all team members then stepped into the lane a second time, it could be interpreted as huddling and a warning is issued based on 4-47. If team B then were to step in and violate a third time, it would be a technical foul based on 10-1-5-d.

To answer the question, I would say YES the official is correct. I am not 100% sure though that this situation constitutes huddling.

Any thoughts, comments, discussion, and interpretations are welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

btw you'll have to post the response after your refresher test meeting....I used to belong to board 105.

Scrapper1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 07:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 797494)
"Well, boys, it looks like he'll shoot till he makes it."

If this comes out sounding harsh or judgmental, let me just say I honestly don't mean it that way. But whatever we do on this play, that's the one thing I would NOT do. There is no way in the world I'm allowing 45 free throws due to violations.

Warn the coach, T the team, forfeit the game, all of the above. I don't care which one. But do not allow the defending team to simply continue violating to force more free throws.