The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

What to do...

So, my daughter (who doesn't play sports) began HS this year & I let the assignor of that league know via email. I also blocked the school in Arbiter. When the assignments were released I got 2 quality games at her school anyway. Thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
So, my daughter (who doesn't play sports) began HS this year & I let the assignor of that league know via email. I also blocked the school in Arbiter. When the assignments were released I got 2 quality games at her school anyway. Thoughts?

Contact the assigner, remind him/her that your daughter attends, then:

(1) offer to be released, work the games if s/he thinks it's okay.

-or

(2) decline the games, explain the reason, indicate your willingness to work elsewhere on the same date.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 10:22am
Administrator

Bob offers two reasonable options for you to pursue, having said that, and having been there and done that with regard to familiy members (sister at the college level; sons at the high school level), my advice to you is that you really have only one option and that is Number 2. You could officiate two perfect games but if either of the games come down to a last second call that you make and your daugher's school wins, no one will care that you graded out with a 100%, you will be remembered as the Homer who screwed your daughter's school's opponent.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

If it these are varsity games or varsity night games like a prelim/JV game I would say not to work the games for the reason you stated. If the games are lower level games where very few people are in the gym, I would not find a problem with you working those games. That matters because they are probably trying to fill the games and need people that will be there without much problem. That being said, if it really bothers you, then give back the games and give a reason why and explain you had them blocked off.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
yep, A Dilema

On an oft occasion over the yrs, I was pressed into action to call my son's Rec League games. These were Rec Games, and everyone in the league knew I was the only State Certified Official in the league. The coaches or league officials came to me and asked me to do it, usually at game time (my stuff always in the car), as that was a better option than one inexperienced HS kid or NO officials (some might argue that ). Never had an issue.

BUT, that was Rec Ball. At the scholastic level, I too always informed the Assignor of the situation and blocked my son's games/dates in Arbiter and never did one of his or another game while he played. I would politely turn it back. But, unlike Bob's suggestion, which I understand, I would not volunteer to do another game to help out the Assignor and miss my kid play. Just me.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I've had three kids graduate from the same HS that my wife and I graduated from. I worked games at the school while all three attended. But the key was that none of them played either of the two sports I officiated.

But let's say you're working a game between two teams in the same conference. A call you make could make a difference that affects the standings. What are you going to do? Mark off the entire conference your daughter's school is in?

Everybody is from somewhere. Talk to the assignor and do what you're comfortable with.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I've had three kids graduate from the same HS that my wife and I graduated from. I worked games at the school while all three attended. But the key was that none of them played either of the two sports I officiated.
If there are enough alternatives in the area, there is no need to put yourself into that situation. Here, with ~75 HS, how hard is it to avoid one school. Plenty of other games out there and plenty of officials who can do that game. It is generally not permitted here...but sometimes happens in Christmas tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
But let's say you're working a game between two teams in the same conference. A call you make could make a difference that affects the standings. What are you going to do? Mark off the entire conference your daughter's school is in?
At some point, you have to draw the line. I'd say that is far enough away....but that will vary.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice all!
FTR, its 2 quality varsity league games (R on 1) of the mere 5 games I was assigned in this competitive league.

At this point Im not good enough to make calls based on who the players are, I simply see the jersey colors & try to make high percentage of correct calls.

I figured that I have taken care of my off-court business, twice... by email & the block feature on Arbiter. This assignor is a DI men's official, who only uses a specific number of officials & runs the league like a college conference.
Perhaps since my daughter is not participating in athletics, he doesn't mind me working there. I trust that he trusts me to be on the games.

I guess the main thing is, I am totally prepared to deal with whatever criticism comes about as a result of my call selection.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see the big deal. If they don't play the sport then who cares. Do your job with integrity and pride and if people want to criticize you they will. The key is integrity. I don't give a rats rear end what someone might say as long as I know I did the job the best I could.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:07pm
Back from the DL

Let's take this a step further.

Over this past summer, High School A merged with High School B, to create a newly named High School C.

"A" was my high school (class of '85), so I had it blocked. I've never blocked B's games.

Should I block C?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

27 years ago? IMO, no you needn't block HS C.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If there are enough alternatives in the area, there is no need to put yourself into that situation. Here, with ~75 HS, how hard is it to avoid one school. Plenty of other games out there and plenty of officials who can do that game. It is generally not permitted here...but sometimes happens in Christmas tournaments.
I think the point is that you cannot avoid every possible conflict. Someone went to school somewhere and someone has kids somewhere or went to school with someone somewhere. You cannot avoid every possible issue that someone will make out of where you work.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the point is that you cannot avoid every possible conflict. Someone went to school somewhere and someone has kids somewhere or went to school with someone somewhere. You cannot avoid every possible issue that someone will make out of where you work.

Peace
True... I have quite a few TBAs on my schedule for tournaments, I might see the said team there. I feel comfortable working since she isn't playing.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Every possible conflict, no. But where you kids currently attend, easy.
There is no need for that if you wish to maintain your professionalism.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Every possible conflict, no. But where you kids currently attend, easy.
There is no need for that if you wish to maintain your professionalism.
Some people think you should not work a game in the town you live too. The point is how far are we going to worry about what people perceive their to be a conflict? Professionalism has little to do with who is in a game you are working unless it is your relative on that game IMO. But if there are no relative playing, who cares? I am also saying that it is an individual decision and that of the assignor if they care. And as I said I treat varsity contest different than a lower level game where the people assigned might be available based on proximity of the school rather than who are the best officials. Lower level games have a different focus and usually are not keeping major records or even listed in the media.

Peace