The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

Operating the clock has reinforced in me the need to improve my mechanics. Stopping and starting the clock became lazy and reporting became close to unintelligible. A few games on the clock ended all of that.
Let me just say - there is no better way to work on your clock management skills than actually doing the clock/scoreboard during an actual game!
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Oh, my !

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

The Shot Clock is tough enough.
The game clock is even tougher.
Why do you think this? Having done both - I find the shot clock to be more difficult than the game clock. A quick finger on the game clock - no one notices. A quick finger on the "reset" button for shot clock - an entire arena is yelling at you.

"Let me just say - there is no better way to work on your clock management skills than actually doing the clock/scoreboard during an actual game!" - Mark Dexter

Mark, you nailed my reason.
Visitor +3, Start, Stop, Buzz, Home +1, V fouls 4,22, Buzz, start, stop, Buzz, Home +2 ....Aaaaargh!
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I worked a State Final this year (my first) at The University Of Maryland Comcast Center and they had us use the precision timing devices. This is the device that stops the clock automatically when the whistle blows and starts with the official touching the button on the belt pack. I hope we all go to this someday. They had a back-up timer at the table in case the officials didn't do what they were supposed to but the systen works great. Also, when I was a coach before I saw the light and became an official, I had to operate the clock at our school's girl's games. Once you've done it, you have a whole new appreciation for those at the table every night. I only wish school's would get away from just picking anyone to run the clock and at least try to look for conscientious individuals and not just a student with nothing better to do.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigfoot81
My father and I always had a bad habit of harping on the officials during games. (Part of the reason why I started officiating). Both of us (and my mom) agree that the only way to keep us quiet is to put us on the table doing something; be it the scorebook, clock, shotclock, etc. I've found it very valuable to work all the aspects of the table at some point. That way if you are working with an inexperienced table crew, you know how to help them out a little bit.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2003, 01:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

In my rec league, I always have to work with the table personnel prior to games. I usually start with saying to the clock operator, "You are familiar with the metric system, aren't you?" This usually breaks the ice and puts them at ease.

At one venue where I work (not my league), we had a tournament that included some teams from Canada. I told the scorekeepers that we were playing international rules and the scoring would be metric. When they looked at me with puzzled faces, I told them that every point was worth 1.67 points and they had to post it that way. I said that surely they had been provided with a calculator.

The woman on the book looked at me and said, "I'd better get my husband".
Old Tue Apr 22, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Mark.

Next tournament, bring an abacus with you. Tell the scoreboard operator its a new idea put forth by the Department of Standards and Measurements. Also add, with each score, the scoreboard operator needs to raise the abacus above his/her head, and show everyone the score.

- Catherine Aird