The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
and the OP's partner was right to tell the newer official to ignore the coaches. That in and of itself is good advice for officials in their first couple of years.
Without a doubt
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
Billy, have you published your pre-game before here?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

If I have a not so great look at the play, and not sure if it was touched or not, I'll ask partner if he saw a tip(unoffficial tip mechanic)LOL. If he saw something he'll say so, otherwise I'll make my call. BUt I'll ask my partner, not confer upon coachs request. In the vein of getting the call right. In a HS varsity game... I will stop and confer, again on my request. not like it is something that happens alot, getting it right IMO outweighs the short delay in not getting it right.

with respect to the camp evaluator saying why didn't you ask your partner???
If I like my call and am good with it I make it. I'm guessing the call maybe seemed suspect and that a conference would have "helped" the situation.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO, Connecticut, Two Person ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Billy, have you published your pre-game before here?
PREGAME CONFERENCE

Stay in your primary. Seldom should we have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out of your primary.
If something is there that really needs to be called, call it.

Out of Bounds Responsibilities:
When Trail is not across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline back to the division line.
Trail has nearer sideline, division line, and all three backcourt boundaries.
When Trail is across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline to the free throw line extended.
Trail has nearer sideline, farther sideline above free throw line extended, division line, and all three backcourt
boundaries.
During transition, press, and press break, situations, the Lead, hanging back to help, will have out of bounds
responsibilities on the entire nearer sideline.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

Be consistent with each other. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game. Let’s try to remember
what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll
be more likely to identify the shooter. Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table for substitutes, check the clock, good eye contact
before putting ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. If the winning team is
just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,
so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense.
If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player,
we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges,
of the coaching box.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES
The specifications regarding arm compression sleeves were changed to require the item to be white, black, beige or a
single solid school color, be the same color for each team member and have only a single manufacturer’s logo that does
not exceed 2 ¼ square inches. Arm compression sleeves must still be worn for medical purposes.
Several definitions were changed to reflect that team control will now exist during a throw-in when the thrower-in has the
ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul penalties will be administered.
Clarified that when an opponent contacts the thrower-in, an intentional foul shall be charged to the offender.

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Sporting Behavior (Pregame Situations, Taunting, Self-Promotion)
Guidelines for Officiating (Handchecking, Body Fouls, Screening, Post Play, Rebounding)
Injury Prevention (Concussions, Airborne Player, Flagrant Fouls, Excessive Swinging of Elbows)

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS
Switch on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 11:12am
Administrator

I pre-game with partners with whom I have not worked that:

(1) If I give the stopped clock signal and then I verbally give the color and point in the "correct" direction, and I am NOT looking at him when I do all of these things, that means, come to me with information only if you are at least 150% sure that I made a mistake. (I thought I made a mistake once, but I was mistaken about my making a mistake, . But I digress.)

(2) If I give the stopped clock signal and then I verbally give the color and point in the "correct" direction, and I AM looking at him when I do all of these things, that means, if you are at least 150% sure that I made a mistake then please, by all means, come to me and give me that information and I will change my call if need be.

(3) If I give the stopped clock signal and then I do NOT give the color and NOR point in the "correct" direction, and I AM standing there looking at him holding the stopped clock signal it means that I do NOT have a clue and that the call is all yours ("white", "black", or AP).

Of course MTD, Jr., and Daryl H. "The Preacher" Long will tell you that the only mechanic I use is (3) because at my advanced age I am always clueless, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure we have all made an OOB call where the team not getting the throw-in reacts negatively, in unison. In those situations I always hit the whistle & simply ask my partner if they had something different. No need for a conference... I just verbally ask him from across the court. If they don't have a different call, they say good call & we move on. If they do have a different call, bring it to me & allow me to change it.
Coaches may not yell across the court, but officials certainly may communicate with each other in that manner.
Double checking with a partner, when appropriate, isnt a bad thing. It communicates to all involved that you are open to being wrong & all about getting it right!

Last edited by tref; Mon Nov 07, 2011 at 10:54am.