The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

The thread which JefftheRef started concerning the penalties for all cases of intentional personal fouls made me think of a situation which one rarely sees, but occurred in this year's NCAA tournament. I don't recall which game.
On the first shot of a 1-and-1 free throw situation a foul was called on one of the players struggling for rebounding position along the lane. The free throw was made.
I was a bit surprised to see this call made and only recall making it myself once in seven years. I was happy to see the officials correctly administer the remaining free throw with the lane cleared and then penalize the foul. I don't recall whether they went to the other end and shot free throws or if that team was not yet in the penalty and was just awarded the ball OOB.

I have a conjecture that most officials let just about anything go on a made free throw. Do you agree with this? Also have you ever had to call this foul?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Yes...I called this rebounding foul in exactly the situation you stated about 6 years ago in a Varsity Boys H.S. Summer League Tournament.
First shot of a 1 and 1. Foul on the "defender" rebounding.

We cleared the lanes...shot the remaining foul shot...then proceeded to walk to the other end of the floor to shoot the bonus shots.

As we were lining up the players for the bonus FTs The Varsity Coach started screaming, "THAT'S A FALSE DOUBLE FOUL! YOU DON'T SHOOT THE FOUL SHOTS WITH THE LANES FULL!"

Well, at least he had the terminology right...just not the administration.

Anyway, I bet him a soda we were right and he just sort of shook his head and sat down. The next day I GENTLY pointed out the proper procedure directly from the Case book, and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something that sounded like "false double foul" again.

Whew!

RD

Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 06:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I have a conjecture that most officials let just about anything go on a made free throw. Do you agree with this? Also have you ever had to call this foul?
Yeah, I've made that call when I have determined that the player was just being mean; that is when the player pushes with locked-out elbows with the sole purpose of displacment or intimidation. Although an intentional could be technically correct, I've only called a common foul.
mick
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm with Mick on this one. Unless the contact is really so severe that it can't be ignored, I'm going to let it go. There's no advantage since the FT was made, so there's no reason to call a typical "rebounding" foul (since there's no rebound). But if the kid goes out of his way to send a message, I'll send one too.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The thread which JefftheRef started concerning the penalties for all cases of intentional personal fouls made me think of a situation which one rarely sees, but occurred in this year's NCAA tournament. I don't recall which game.
On the first shot of a 1-and-1 free throw situation a foul was called on one of the players struggling for rebounding position along the lane. The free throw was made.
I was a bit surprised to see this call made and only recall making it myself once in seven years. I was happy to see the officials correctly administer the remaining free throw with the lane cleared and then penalize the foul. I don't recall whether they went to the other end and shot free throws or if that team was not yet in the penalty and was just awarded the ball OOB.
Okay, now I've never done ANY NCAA rules, including in any summer leagues, or anything, so I could be wrong here, but I thought in NCAA you wouldn't shoot the last 1-and-1 until the "new" foul was taken care of, and then go back to the POI and finisl. Or does that only apply to technicals?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Okay, now I've never done ANY NCAA rules, including in any summer leagues, or anything, so I could be wrong here, but I thought in NCAA you wouldn't shoot the last 1-and-1 until the "new" foul was taken care of, and then go back to the POI and finisl. Or does that only apply to technicals?
Yes, only technicals.

BTW, I remember that play & was pleasantly surprised when the foul off the FT was called. You don't see that very often.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
The next day I GENTLY pointed out the proper procedure directly from the Case book, ...
Whew!
Anyone know where this and other similar situations are in the case book and/or rule book?