The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82707-timeout.html)

Raymond Fri Oct 28, 2011 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike (Post 795485)
I was stunned at the call, but they sold it.

Is there a protest mechanism in hoops?

I'm really more worried about the ref's, if 3 of em agree, how many more?

No protests in the rule book. But if there were, what would you do, replay every game from the point at which an official err'ed? Your season would never end.

Rec Leagues usually get 2 types of officials--

1) newbies who are just learning how to officiate

2) rec league veterans who are only doing it to supplement their incomes and do not invest time or money into training

With the payscale most rec leagues have you can expect to have a lot of errors.

hoopguy Fri Oct 28, 2011 09:31am

I see a couple of references to picking up the dribble in mid-air. Has anyone actually seen this or is it a basketball myth? Is there a video I can see this on? I have been playing, watching, coaching, reffing basketball for 35+ years and can't remember ever seeing a basketball player dribble while in the air. Players do not dribble while they are jumping. The dribble is picked up and then the player jumps. The player does not jump and continue to bounce the ball on the court while in the air.

Continuing on the travel subject... I see a lot of players now picking up the dribble on their left foot and then stepping on their right foot and then on their left and jumping off the left foot to shoot their layup. In other words, taking 3 steps for their layup. This is becoming prevalent at all levels and rarely called. It is difficult to see but it is happening often and it is a huge advantage to the offensive player. And I realize number of steps are not what constitutes a travel it is the pivot foot but in my instance the pivot foot would be the left foot. In a 'good' layup the pivot foot would be the right foot and then the player would jump off the left foot.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 28, 2011 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopguy (Post 796285)
I see a couple of references to picking up the dribble in mid-air. Has anyone actually seen this or is it a basketball myth? Is there a video I can see this on? I have been playing, watching, coaching, reffing basketball for 35+ years and can't remember ever seeing a basketball player dribble while in the air. Players do not dribble while they are jumping. The dribble is picked up and then the player jumps. The player does not jump and continue to bounce the ball on the court while in the air.

We're not saying "dribble while jumping in the air." We're saying "end the dribble while in the air."

A1 bounces the ball to the floor, jumps in the air, and catches the ball while still in the air.

APG Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopguy (Post 796285)

Yes you have...any time a player is speed dribbling, he's temporarily airborne. And the majority of jump stops that I see players execute is the one where they end the dribble while both feet are off the floor.