The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Was Da Rookie Correct? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82699-da-rookie-correct.html)

The_Rookie Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:07pm

Was Da Rookie Correct?

Girls HS Fall League today...

A15 has the ball on baseline ready to throw in..B5 reaches over the plane and hits the ball while A15 has possession.

MY CALL: Technical Foul on B5...A15 awarded 2 shots plus A gets the ball at Division line opposite table.

My partner a 10 year vet OVER RULES me and puts the ball in play on baseline where the technical occurred.

Was the Rookie correct??

Mark Padgett Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:17pm

I'm guessing you mean he overruled you on just the subsequent inbound spot. If that's the case, he was wrong. What explanation, if any, did he give for placing the ball back there instead of where it should have gone?

grunewar Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:19pm

Case Play 10.3.10.D says the Rookie is correct.

Incidentally, when do you graduate from being "The Rookie?" :p

tjones1 Sat Oct 22, 2011 06:55pm

For Fed, any (single) technical foul will result in the throw-in opposite table at the division line for a throw-in...no?

Good call, Rook!

billyu2 Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:07pm

who shoots the T

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795347)
Girls HS Fall League today...

A15 has the ball on baseline ready to throw in..B5 reaches over the plane and hits the ball while A15 has possession.

MY CALL: Technical Foul on B5...A15 awarded 2 shots plus A gets the ball at Division line opposite table.

My partner a 10 year vet OVER RULES me and puts the ball in play on baseline where the technical occurred.

Was the Rookie correct??

Who awarded A15 the FT's? You or did the coach say that's who he/she wanted to shoot?

Scrapper1 Sat Oct 22, 2011 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795347)

Half right. The free throws may be attempted by any team member(s) of Team A. They do not have to be attempted by A15, as someone else alluded to. Now, if B5 had contacted A15 while trying to hit the ball, then you would have an intentional personal foul, and the free throws would be awarded to A15 (unless s/he had been injured by the foul).

The ensuing throw-in is indeed administered at the division line, as someone else pointed out.

Quote:

Is your partner an NCAA official? He may have gotten confused with the NCAA-M ruleset, in which this would be a Class B technical foul. After the technical free throws, play would be resumed at the POI.

The_Rookie Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795360)
Half right. The free throws may be attempted by any team member(s) of Team A. They do not have to be attempted by A15, as someone else alluded to. Now, if B5 had contacted A15 while trying to hit the ball, then you would have an intentional personal foul, and the free throws would be awarded to A15 (unless s/he had been injured by the foul).

The ensuing throw-in is indeed administered at the division line, as someone else pointed out.

Is your partner an NCAA official? He may have gotten confused with the NCAA-M ruleset, in which this would be a Class B technical foul. After the technical free throws, play would be resumed at the POI.

No only HS Ref...He mentioned the Intentional Foul that you laid out in your response. Under that type of situation, the ball still put in play at division line?

Welpe Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:02pm

The Rookie was correct. ;)

Mark Padgett Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795365)
No only HS Ref...He mentioned the Intentional Foul that you laid out in your response. Under that type of situation, the ball still put in play at division line?

No. Then the inbound would be at the spot of the foul. And note that under the new rule, A15's hands could have been over the court when her hands were hit and it would now be an intentional foul.

I mentioned that just in case you haven't read the 50 page thread on the new rules. :)

BillyMac Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:20am

Bonus Question ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 795355)
For Fed, any (single) technical foul will result in the throw-in opposite table at the division line for a throw-in.

How about a double technical foul?

dsqrddgd909 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 795430)
How about a double technical foul?

ooo ooooo

Pick me pick me!

BillyMac Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:45am

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 795432)
ooo ooooo, Pick me, pick me!

We now know what dsqrddgd909 looks like:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...b4adb66f37c41b

26 Year Gap Sun Oct 23, 2011 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795365)

It couldn't have been an intentional foul unless he contacted the player, not the ball. You were correct.

dsqrddgd909 Sun Oct 23, 2011 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 795435)
We now know what dsqrddgd909 looks like:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...b4adb66f37c41b

Picture a combination of Steve Martin and Andy Sipowicz from NYPD Blue.