The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mechanic? Da Chop (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82682-new-mechanic-da-chop.html)

Amesman Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795185)
This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.

+1

First time I encountered this (as L), I stepped out to see what my partner was stopping the game for. Then, he was confused, wondering why I wasn't starting play promptly. Happened twice in same game, sort of keystone kops moments.

Comments here about pre-gaming it ought to do the trick.

M&M Guy Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 795159)
You sound like our state supervisor, who abhors this mechanic and will not let us do it in 3 man.

Sounds like a smart guy. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 795159)
It can be, when the L is opposite in the far corner on the end line.

But hasn't that always been the case? How did timers handle this before the mechanic change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795161)
You can still watch off ball and chop in at trail...you don't have to be staring at the ball. Been doing this in 2-man for awhile, and it's been no issue.

I understand that, and I believe most good officials can handle it that way. But I have 2 problems - I believe less experienced officials will be more inclined to ball-watch, and it still won't help start the clock correctly if the L isn't being seen. How does the T see the tip on the inbounds pass if they aren't watching either the ball or the L directly?

I believe most timers watch the ball and start the clock when they see it inbounds, and don't watch the chop from the administering official, no matter where the ball is inbounded. I've also seen many delays between the chops of the L and T, so I know they aren't always seeing the same thing.

In 3-person, the C can still handle a lot of the off-ball activity, but the T has more responsibility in 2-person. It just seems like an unnecessary mechanic that may promote more bad habits than problems it corrects. JMHO.

Raymond Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 795195)
+1

First time I encountered this (as L), I stepped out to see what my partner was stopping the game for. Then, he was confused, wondering why I wasn't starting play promptly. Happened twice in same game, sort of keystone kops moments.

Comments here about pre-gaming it ought to do the trick.

Hopefully the Trail isn't putting his/her hand up until after A1 has the ball at his/her disposal.

stiffler3492 Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 795197)
Hopefully the Trail isn't putting his/her hand up until after A1 has the ball at his/her disposal.

+1 This is what I've done so far, and haven't had a problem. That being said, I've only worked with officials who only do junior high ball thus far. Not sure they know the new mechanic.

grunewar Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:46am

Eye Contact!

Another thing I would do, after pre-game, and maybe before that first stoppage time to chat, in the event this occurred, is make good eye contact with my P and kind of emphasize, AHEM, raise your arm, by holding the ball a sec or two longer while looking at them.

Again, they eventually get it and then you can move on.

M&M Guy Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 795197)

I was told, at least in the 3-person mechanic, that the L should have their hand up to chop before the L administers the throw-in. This tells the L that they're ready.

If the T is holding up play (subs, etc.), they should have the hand closest to the L up and out as a "stop sign". If they are simply ready to chop in time, they would use the hand closest to the table (and away from the L). It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between the two.

mj Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 795202)
I was told, at least in the 3-person mechanic, that the L should have their hand up to chop before the L administers the throw-in. This tells the L that they're ready.

If the T is holding up play (subs, etc.), they should have the hand closest to the L up and out as a "stop sign". If they are simply ready to chop in time, they would use the hand closest to the table (and away from the L). It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between the two.

I was thinking the same thing M&M. I always chuckle when I see other officials with their hand up as a "stop sign" but they aren't pointing it at anything in particular especially not the administering official. Not that I've ever done that myself....

Rufus Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795185)
This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.

We've been doing this in Georgia for several years now and it works fine. I wait until the administering official has blown their whistle and is in the process of handing/bouncing the ball to the throwing-in player to raise my hand.

What's interesting is that they don't require the official administering the throw-in to chop the clock, only keep the 5-second count. It would actually be a large adjustment to go back to chopping if I'm L and administering a throw-in.

APG Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 795228)
We've been doing this in Georgia for several years now and it works fine. I wait until the administering official has blown their whistle and is in the process of handing/bouncing the ball to the throwing-in player to raise my hand.

What's interesting is that they don't require the official administering the throw-in to chop the clock, only keep the 5-second count. It would actually be a large adjustment to go back to chopping if I'm L and administering a throw-in.

That's how I've always been thought as well.

BayStateRef Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 795158)
Just curious - with both sets of eyes watching the ball on the throw-in, who watches off-ball?

Is it really THAT much of a problem where the timer cannot see the L chop in time?

This is the new NFHS mechanic. IAABO has not adopted it, precisely for this reason.

BillyMac Fri Oct 21, 2011 05:45pm

No Blind Jokes Please ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef (Post 795239)
This is the new NFHS mechanic. IAABO has not adopted it, precisely for this reason.

Hey? You mean to say that IAABO has done something right for a change?

constable Wed Oct 26, 2011 04:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 795264)
Hey? You mean to say that IAABO has done something right for a change?

IAABO not switching the T's side for FT administration was a smart move too if you ask me.

Welpe Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795231)
That's how I've always been thought as well.

For clarity, you've been taught that the L does NOT chop? That is different from what we were taught. We were taught that the L has the chop and the T is simply mirroring his.