The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

When did in-game dunking become legal?

While reading through the 2010-2012 Basketball Handbook, I noticed on page 13 talking about the history of the rules changes that in 1967 it was illegal to dunk during the game. When was that rule reversed as I cannot find a passage saying it is now legal?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 01:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Keep reading.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Keep reading.

Peace
I read a bit more closely and noticed that regulation was only in effect for 9 years: 1967-1976.

Reading through some of the rules changes that have happened, there are some that, I feel, need to be re-instated.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Been reading through the handbook some more, specifically the history of rules, and noticed several that used to be in effect that have been either disallowed or changed.

One of those that changed was that when subs reported to the table, that they have to report their number as well as the number they are replacing. However that rule got overturned. Thinking to the newer scoreboards out there that require player numbers, should that rule of been reversed?

What other old rules do you feel need to be reinstated?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what the point would be requiring a player to tell who he's replacing. Seems like all anyone would have to do is...see the number of the person being replaced. Even with scoreboards today being able to show each player's number and stats, the only thing official on the scoreboard is the time.

Put it this way, they don't require this at the NBA level, where they would care a lot more about this kind of stuff.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'm not sure what the point would be requiring a player to tell who he's replacing. Seems like all anyone would have to do is...see the number of the person being replaced. Even with scoreboards today being able to show each player's number and stats, the only thing official on the scoreboard is the time.

Put it this way, they don't require this at the NBA level, where they would care a lot more about this kind of stuff.
Am just trying to get conversation started concerning what old rules would be good ideas to be reinstated.

Thankfully not all scoreboards show the players in the game, at the HS level.

How about the rule that the fouling player has to raise their hand?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 05:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
One of those that changed was that when subs reported to the table, that they have to report their number as well as the number they are replacing. However that rule got overturned. Thinking to the newer scoreboards out there that require player numbers, should that rule of been reversed?
No.

Quote:
What other old rules do you feel need to be reinstated?
The one that said only players on the court could be granted a timeout request.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches Will Give This Up When You Take It From Their Cold, Dead Hands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The one that said only players on the court could be granted a timeout request.
Bingo. Pick a prize from the top shelf.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How about the rule that the fouling player has to raise their hand?
Don't really see any need for this. What if a player didn't know he committed a foul? What if the wrong player raised their hand? If I put air in the whistle for a foul, I don't need a player to raise his hand.

Quite frankly, I think that rule is one of the stupidest ones I read, and I'm way too young to ever have played with the rule or have to officiate a game with it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 07:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Don't really see any need for this. What if a player didn't know he committed a foul? What if the wrong player raised their hand? If I put air in the whistle for a foul, I don't need a player to raise his hand.

Quite frankly, I think that rule is one of the stupidest ones I read, and I'm way too young to ever have played with the rule or have to officiate a game with it.
I first started playing about the time the rule disappeared, and I don't recall it really doing anything productive. I do, however, recall officials enforcing it in my Jr. High games.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

So besides only active players requesting timeouts, what other changes to the rules from old would you like to see implemented?

Which timeout length is better? 20 sec. or 30 sec.?

I see that NFHS keeps discussing the idea of adopting the shot clock, however they keep dismissing due to cost issues, among other things.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So besides only active players requesting timeouts, what other changes to the rules from old would you like to see implemented?

Which timeout length is better? 20 sec. or 30 sec.?

I see that NFHS keeps discussing the idea of adopting the shot clock, however they keep dismissing due to cost issues, among other things.
20 vs. 30 second timeouts...save at most 20 seconds, so that's a none issue to me. I don't know when NF decided we needed to be the uniform police (maybe it's always been that way), but if there was a time we weren't concern about matching undershirts and all that stupid stuff, I'd vote to go back to the former way.

As far as a shot clock, I've always been one that has said the shot clock should be implemented...and mandate it in 5-10 years like they did with the white jerseys (it'd probably have to be closer to 10 years).

Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
20 vs. 30 second timeouts...save at most 20 seconds, so that's a none issue to me. I don't know when NF decided we needed to be the uniform police (maybe it's always been that way), but if there was a time we weren't concern about matching undershirts and all that stupid stuff, I'd vote to go back to the former way.

As far as a shot clock, I've always been one that has said the shot clock should be implemented...and mandate it in 5-10 years like they did with the white jerseys (it'd probably have to be closer to 10 years).
Concerning undershirts, there were rule adoptions in 1984 & 1996. It seems in the past 11 years is when the majority of the "Uniform Police" rules came into effect. It surprises me however that the "No jewelry" rule has been in effect since 1977, yet at least once a year it needs to be mentioned.

NFHS is complaining about the cost of having to add shot clocks and one additional table official, yet there are schools getting new scoreboards every 2-5 years. (Example: though not HS, Washington State University has just put in a new scoreboard that costs $3 million, though the scoreboards in use were installed in 1992)

Last edited by chseagle; Wed Oct 12, 2011 at 08:39pm.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Seriously? Your example is a major university in a BCS conference replacing a 20 year old scoreboard? Seriously?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I have yet to see a truly compelling argument for forcing the schools to buy, maintain, and operate extra equipment, regardless of how marginal the cost might be.