The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I just got an email stating that the USBL is reverting to 2-whistle games. No more 3-whistle. The game fee goes up to $200, but no mileage or overnight accomodations.

My schedule just opened up a little bit this summer. . . There's always Coast to Coast.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I went to a CBA game last year. It was 2-whistle too. I felt so sorry for those guys.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I live in a CBA city. Many problems happen with 2 whistles. It is not possible for 2 to see everything that is going on not to mention the exertion.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

WHY??
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cha-Ching!

Quote:
Originally posted by kmref
WHY??
Money, of course. If you use 3 officials at $100/game plus mileage, you have a possible total of $600/game. If you use 2 officials at $200/game with NO mileage, then you have a fixed cost of $400/game. That's a savings of $4000 over the course of the season to each team.

By the way, the email specifically mentioned that this is how the CBA does it, sort of as a justification for the move, I guess.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Try it. You'll like it!
Seriously. Does the USBL have a camp prior to the season?
If so, go and try out the two-man system before making any decisions. It is not perfect, but you also find out who can ref, and who can't. If you can ref Pro ball in the two-man, and survive, you can ref anything!!!
It actually brings back alot of the "lost art" factor.
"Gut calls","educated guess calls" etc.
It's fun to make a call that your "gut" tells you to,and then look at it later on tape and find you were right!
Rick Majerus always says he prefers the two man system, because he feels that officials and the 3 man system, don't have enough accountability. True, he's a Coach, but to a certain extent I think he's right.
I coverage better in 3? Absolutely. Has it prolonged careers? Oh yeah. But you're young, you can take it!
By the way, my last Game- Rockford 152, Idaho 150 in OT!
Fun stuff!

Drake
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Chuck,

It actually brings back alot of the "lost art" factor.
"Gut calls","educated guess calls" etc.
It's fun to make a call that your "gut" tells you to,and then look at it later on tape and find you were right!
Drake
What? I realize I am WAY out of my league, but isn't this what we are trying to avoid.

Stan
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Drake,

Thanks for the thoughts. (I was going to email you this weekend to see if you were still alive!) Given your comments, I may try it out; but for me, half the fun of those games was using the NBA 3-whistle mechanics.

Additionally, it just seems to me that at that level (which, to be honest, is obviously much lower than the NBA but maybe close to mid-level D1), there's too much going on for 2 guys to handle adequately.

But I really did enjoy it last year, so maybe it's worth giving it a chance.

On a personal note, how's your season going? Rockford/Idaho is CBA? Also, have you made plans for any camps this year? I'm planning on C2C, and a couple others.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 11:22am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
my last Game- Rockford 152, Idaho 150 in OT!
Fun stuff!
You wouldn't happen to be the official in the background of the picture on the CBA website would you?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
E-mail me anytime.
The season is goin well. Lots of ups and downs. (e-mail me and I'll give you the lowdown)
Anyway, yes I am working the CBA. Glamourous life.
Monday I flew into Seattle to do a game the next night in Yakima. As I'm sitting on the plane in SLC waiting to leave,
the lady from our travel agency calls and informs me that my partner's plane is delayed. Instead of getting in at 1:30 he is now supposed to get in at 4:30. No real problem.
As I get in I check with the airline and find out that due to mechanical problems, he doesn't get in until 5:15. To make a long story short, his plane finally gets in at 8:15pm.
Then we have to drive to Yakima from Seattle.
Spend the day in Yakima, work the game that night,
get a few hours sleep, drive from there to Boise (no snow, but major fog in places) get into Boise, sleep, then work a 152-150 OT game!

ANyway, drop me a line when you get a chance.
Campwise, I think I need to get to Becky Marshall's Camp.
And Dave Hall has a camp in Colorado that Kay Garms is going to be at, so I'm going there.
Which C2C are you attending? Vegas or Florida?
Talk to you later.
Drake
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 04:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Spend the day in Yakima
You have my deepest sympathy.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ups and downs

I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but I'm going to throw it out there. Last year around this time, I was accepting congratulations and well-wishes for becoming a USBL official. I was excited and people were excited for me, which I appreciated.

Well, because of the reduced number of officials needed for 2-whistle games, the staff was trimmed this year. Since I only have one season with the league, I was one of many officials who got cut.

This post is not intended to illicit condolences, but rather only to show that every official has his/her ups and downs. While it's disappointing for me not to be working the league this season, I'm not letting it keep me from striving to improve in other ways. I'm trying to line up several D1 try-outs this summmer. I may also attend Coast to Coast (although the money may all go to the try-outs).

The point, mainly for the younger guys/gals, is that this stuff happens to everybody, so don't let yourself get upset over not getting the split V/JV schedule you wanted, for example. Use it as positive motivation. Do a little better so that you're sure to get noticed next time. I got a good break last Spring and a bad one this Spring, but I'm gonna keep pushing. If you got a bad break this season, use it to push yourself this summer to do what you need to do to get to that next level -- camp, hitting the weight room, losing those 10 pounds, whatever.

Again, no sympathy for me. (Like JR's really gonna give me any. . .) I'm just hoping to encourage somebody who may have been discouraged this season.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 09:22pm
In Memoriam

Re: Ups and downs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This post is not intended to illicit condolences, but rather only to show that every official has his/her ups and downs.
Good post.
Good luck.
... And condolences.
You still Da Man !

Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Condolences?

Not a chance Chuck. That glass is still half full. Just imagine if those cuts to two-whistle came last summer - you never would have gotten that year of experience. You have more on your resume, and you have had the chance to ref higher level players as a part of a higher level officiating team. What you gained you will never lose. Take it and run with it.

My condolences go to those unknown few who would have been rookies this year. They don't get the year you got. And with your attitude working for you like you say it is, there are surely many great things down the road for you. and hopefully not far down the road
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 10:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Chuck,that post is one that you CAN include in your book of all-time great posts!

Keep trucking - you'll be there!