The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Angry

Went to my Daughter's first AAU Tourney (14U). Interesting rules 18 min half’s. No shot clock- NCAA women mechanics for the refs.

Here is my gripe in all the games I watched (and there were many) the 2 Referees did not move to see the court. The trail stayed at the division line nearly out of bounds and the Lead stayed 2 feet from the end line. and simply did not move (except when possession required them to move from trail to lead. No alternating position after fouls.

As you can imagine, fouls were called some 40 feet away at times. Of course they couldn't see the court. No one could. Several parents on our team are also Federation Ref's. We were embarrassed.

Ok a Ref bashing a Ref (actually whole crews of them) Perhaps I've broken the unspoken rule. By I sure like to see hustle from a ref. It seemed clear they were taught this style of officiating.... how sad. I guess it makes it easy to call 4 games in a row and get a pay check- still no excuse

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:22pm
Esteemed Participant

How could they be using NCAA Women's mechanics if there were only two of them???
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
How could they be using NCAA Women's mechanics if there were only two of them???
Yes I meant to comment on that- I asked them what rules they were following- and that was the answer one of them gave me when I stated I worked HS games back in Virginia.

They only "mechanic" I saw were the player control signal I have seen used at the NCAA games- gee what do I know- just a lowly Federated official.

Funny I never was critical of their calls- just their court presence and their "ability" to see the court. OK it's over- not even griping because we lost- we didn't- it just made for poor "officiating"

Stewcall
CVBOA
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Couple of things-

1- AAU Girls normally play by NCAA Women's rules. Perhaps that's what they meant or thought you were asking you you apporached them.

2- It's not uncommon, especially in AAU games when working 4-10 games per day, to not do a lot of switching, and to shorten the court as much as possible. Right or wrong, that's usually the way it is.

If you weren't critical or unhappy with their calls, why did any of this matter?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

that's usually the way it is.

If you weren't critical or unhappy with their calls, why did any of this matter? [/B][/QUOTE]

The thought of making my call from 40 feet away as the rule rather the exception just doesn't seem like good officiating- but if this is the "norm" in girls AAU- I am now the wiser

Stewcall
Old Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

calls from 40 feet

It sounds like the referees weren't giving their all during these games. Maybe they were conserving their energy to be able to last for 4 games, but that is no excuse for not hustling and working to get into position. I heard one instructor say, "...because you are only getting paid $20 for an AAU or rec game, that is no excuse for not hustling. That just means that you only have to put up with $20 worth of s---."
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Having 4 or more games is not an excuse not to hustle, get in proper position, and work hard.
I RARELY do four games anymore, three however is common.
I continue to run hard, rotate strong side, and work to get
the best angle I can.
I will admit to not switching on fouls if the foul occurs near the midcourt line. But other than that...
If the time ever comes when I find myself maintaining a trail position at midcourt, (or worse) not even getting into
the front court, I WILL QUIT!!!!
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Ok a Ref bashing a Ref
I certainly hope you were not "bashing" the Ref VERBALLY at the game!

I have seen this happen more than once, and IMO there is nothing that will make me lose the respect of said official more... bashing verbally another official during a game...than that.

RD

Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Ok a Ref bashing a Ref

I have seen this happen more than once, and IMO there is nothing that will make me lose the respect of said official more... bashing verbally another official during a game...than that.

RD

No I kept my mouth shut during all the games- I went up politely after the game to ask some questions- my bashing only occurred here on the Board
Stewcall
In VA
CVBOA
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Since we are talking about AAU officials, how do those of you who work these games get assigned them?
Is it just proximity to the tournament and through your local assignor? Does the tourney organizer select officials or do they pick an assignor who can get them a bunch of local guys to cover the games?
Does AAU have a central office, website, board?
I worked one AAU tourney out here last summer and it was done through one of the local HS officials.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Since we are talking about AAU officials, how do those of you who work these games get assigned them?
Is it just proximity to the tournament and through your local assignor? Does the tourney organizer select officials or do they pick an assignor who can get them a bunch of local guys to cover the games?
Does AAU have a central office, website, board?
I worked one AAU tourney out here last summer and it was done through one of the local HS officials.
I am in northern VA and our rec comissioner asigns us the games. Whoever sponsors the tournament contacts our assignor and he gives us the games. We have several AAU groups in this area -- Gym Rats, Vogues, Fairfax Stars, etc. My schedule is more towards the girls side and let me tell you, there are some terrific teams in this area.

There is a separate web site for AAU girls and boys:

http://www.aaugirlsbasketball.org and http://www.aauboysbasketball.org.

Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

all about attitude

My two cents worth:

Most recreational games are covered by
experienced officials who are in the business
just "for the money" or by inexperienced officials
who don't know better and/or have been trained by others
who don't care about PERCEPTION and about providing
a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.
And sometimes it's a matter of survival of the marathon
of working more than 3 games.

I have found that many officials have not really been
given the proper education/instruction and have
then developed bad (LAZY) habits.

In order to change, the LEADERS of the group need
to offer assistance, provide material, and continually
mentor and evaluate.Those who get recruited should have a good foundation.
Those old-timers need to be motivated and reminded.

The biggest problem is the ATTITUDE!!!!!!!! They think, I'll just do the minimum and give the least effort I can to get by.
Many officials think that the demand is so great
that the assignor (and leagues) need them.

They are usually right as their are never enough
quality officials to cover the growing demands
of rec refs.

If you want to assist in improving the quality of training
and performance; go to the leadership of the group and
point them in the direction of NASO and/or a successful local group or person for training material and education.
Show them good signals, teach them good mechanics like "switching" , "boxing in", primary areas, and "off-ball mechanics.
And tell them it's all about having a POSITIVE ATTITUDE
and having pride in your PERFORMANCE.

You can't possibly make good judgement decisions if you
don't anticipate the developing play and constantly MOVE
to get the best (changing) angle.

Good luck as this is a constant, difficult problem to resolve.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics are nice

but they are no substitute for understanding the game.
The game is too fast and too complicated to rely soley on a the mechanics guidelines.

First among equals, know what's going to happen before it happens.

Then, move with a purpose.

And, while I'm being irascible, no one is going to stop me from hitting myself on the head as the signal for the defender doing so to the shooter!
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Ok a Ref bashing a Ref

RD

i like to call to this official:"b-52"
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Dblref-->

I had the privelege of seeing some of the AAU teams you mentioned this past summer, as the 14-under girls nationals were held in Rochester, MN. I was ABSOLUTELY impressed with the level of play, and would venture that some of these AAU teams could beat many of the high school girls teams in this area...