The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah!!!!!!
The intentional foul was finally called in a big-time NCAA game when a team fouled just to stop the clock. It was called against Mich. St. v. Texas with under a minute left for a foul on purpose away from the ball.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 30th, 2003 at 06:54 PM]
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 07:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up It was a good call and the proper call.

The Michigan State player did not at all play the ball and just grabbed a player away from the action. Great call, no matter when the situation was. I know people say that "we do not want the officials do decide the game." But the player decided the game by being stupid and just grabbing the player.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Dumbass play by the Michigan State player.

Great call.

Also good commentary (for a change) from Matt Goukas, who said Tom Izzo likely told the player to foul, but meant foul when the guy had the ball.

How about the blown "over and back" call they had to correct as an inadvertent whistle?

Some tense moments handled well by the crew, I thought.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who called that?

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

How about the blown "over and back" call they had to correct as an inadvertent whistle?

Some tense moments handled well by the crew, I thought.
I was away from the TV so I did hear about the call, but did not see the replay.

Who also corrected the call?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

While I saw the names at the start of the game: Gerald Boudreaux, Hicks, and someone else, I only recognized Boudreaux. He is the one that corrected the call. It clearly was the airborne exception during a throw-in. Since I don't know the other guys by sight, I can't say who botched it.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Apr 1st, 2003 at 12:46 AM]
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

It also made for some confusion with the AP.

According to the sideline reporter, they used AP when the bogus over-and-back was called...and then they had a tie-up right after that, and I think the arrow was not switched, so the AP call contradicted the arrow or something.

When the whistle went, the MS player had possession of the ball....you don't use AP in this sitch, do you?
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face Shaking my head.

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
It also made for some confusion with the AP.

According to the sideline reporter, they used AP when the bogus over-and-back was called...and then they had a tie-up right after that, and I think the arrow was not switched, so the AP call contradicted the arrow or something.

When the whistle went, the MS player had possession of the ball....you don't use AP in this sitch, do you?
I was completely confused too on that. I did not understand why they were even talking about the AP. But then again, I did not see the situation. I guess it depended on when the whistle was blown. But then again, I seemed to miss this situation entirely.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

The confusion with the AP was with the table and the announcers. The officials did not use the AP for the inadvertant whistle. They simply gave it back to Mich. State. The table however was unclear as to why the officials did that because at the time of that play the arrow pointed in MS's favor, so they thought that maybe the officials had looked at the arrow and given the ball to Mich. State because of that. Therefore, when the held ball occurred right after that, the table called the officials over to clarify whether the arrow was correct or not. It was since they did not switch it and it was still Mich. State that was due possession.
The announcer started babbling and what he said came out total gibberish. He should have just shut-up because he didn't know the rule.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I wondered about that, because they showed the table guys throwing up their hands in confusion...the reporter was clearly confused as well.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I understand now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The confusion with the AP was with the table and the announcers. The officials did not use the AP for the inadvertant whistle. They simply gave it back to Mich. State. The table however was unclear as to why the officials did that because at the time of that play the arrow pointed in MS's favor, so they thought that maybe the officials had looked at the arrow and given the ball to Mich. State because of that. Therefore, when the held ball occurred right after that, the table called the officials over to clarify whether the arrow was correct or not. It was since they did not switch it and it was still Mich. State that was due possession.
The announcer started babbling and what he said came out total gibberish. He should have just shut-up because he didn't know the rule.
That explains that. I thought they gave the ball to Texas and they were trying to explain why. I heard the end of that gibberish and was confused what had happen. That explains why the announcers did not have a clue. Because I was thinking that Michigan State should have just got the ball, but they did and I stepped out the room and came back and was confused by their explaination.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 03:20pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

And Then There Were Three

As the NCAA tournament moves on to their Final Four, we move on to the final three. That is, determining the three officials who will referee the championship game.

There is much to learn by watching the tournament, regardless of which level you officiate. See what tips Officiating.comÂ’s own Bradley Batt picked up when he made the trip to this yearÂ’s NCAA MenÂ’s South Regional in San Antonio.