LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Around two minutes left in the first half, "These [Kansas] players don't understand, but they should be going for the steal. They don't realize their position."
I totally disagree with Packer here. Kansas is not a deep team and it is still the first half. Why give an unnecessary foul that could hurt one of your key players later?
He kept repeating that same thought all the way to the end of the half. And he was still saying it when Syracuse had the ball with 10 seconds on the shot clock and 30 seconds on the game clock.

But if you foul at that point, Syracuse gets the last shot of the half. While, if you play really good defense for 10 seconds, you may force a bad shot and get your own good look at the buzzer. I thought he was just being stupid.

After yelling at the TV about 5 times in the first half, my wife calmly asked me, "Why do they let him announce the game if he doesn't know any of the rules?"

Chuck
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

You know, I've been wondering about this for a long time. What are Billy Packer's qualifications for being a big-time announcer. Here's his bio from cbs.sportsline.com.

BILLY PACKER
(CBS Sports Broadcaster)
In 22nd season as lead analyst for CBS Sports' college basketball coverage and covering 29th consecutive Final Four. He won Sports Emmy Award for Outstanding Sports Personality/Analyst (1993). Packer grew up as son of coach at Lehigh University.

In 1958 was Pennsylvania All-State basketball selection and went on to attend Wake Forest University, where he was All-ACC guard (1960-62). He led team to three ACC regular-season titles and Final Four in 1962. Packer returned to Wake Forest in 1965 as assistant coach for Bones McKinney and Jack McCloskey.

He began broadcasting career in 1972 covering ACC games. Packer currently calls ACC games for Jefferson Pilot Sports. He joined NBC Sports in 1974 for opening round of NCAA Tournament and teamed with Curt Gowdy in 1975 for entire tournament. Packer worked with Dick Enberg following year on regular-season games as well as NCAA Tournament.

Al McGuire joined pair in 1978, becoming one of most popular broadcasting trios ever. He has written several books, including Hoops, College Basketball's 25 Greatest Teams, History of the Final Four and Why We Win. He was inducted into North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame, Wake Forest University Hall of Fame, National Basketball Hall of Fame (Gowdy winner) and National Polish Hall of Fame. He also received North Carolina Sportscaster of the Year Award.

Packer graduated with economics degree from Wake Forest University in 1962. He is the co-founder of Tour DuPont and Tour of China. Billy Packer was born Feb. 25, 1940 in Wellsville, N.Y. He lives in Charlotte, N.C. with wife, Barbara and three children.

So....if I get inducted into the Polish Hall of Fame, does that make me qualified to do his job? He's NEVER EVER been a head coach!!!

What does everybody think of this idea. Packer refs a junior high/junior varsity game and brings the CBS cameras along. Then he critiques himself after its done and the do a little thing about it sometime during the College season next year. Any chance he'll do it???

I swear, I actually fell off the chair when he said "that would have been goaltending if it had gone in". Dumbest comment I've ever heard an announcer say.

Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

List of Packer's quotes throughout the Final Four

http://askingforthirds.org/steve
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Please sign my CBS, drop Billy Packer Petition

If some of you are angered by Billy Packer's constant negativity on CBS' Basketball coverage, would you please consider signing my petition to have him removed. Also, please forward this link to anyone you know who suffers because of him.
Thanks for your help.

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Billy_Packer/
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 09:46am
In Memoriam

Re: Please sign my CBS, drop Billy Packer Petition

Quote:
Originally posted by fshrking
Thanks for your help.

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Billy_Packer/
Did it.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, the petition has the right goal, but is not really written the right way.

It harps on Packer being "negative", and how we need a more "positive" commentator.

Commentators are not there to be cheerleaders for anyone. They are supposed to be critical. They are supposed to by analytical. They are supposed to pick apart plays and calls and strategies and unusual happenings.

The point we've all been trying to make here is that Packer does NONE of the above. I don't think we'd really care if he was CRITICAL as long as he was CREDIBLE and had at least a clue as to what he was talking about.

It's his constant misinterpretation of the rules and butchering of the english language that's a problem.

Having said all that, I'll still sign, cuz I don't care HOW or WHY they get rid of him, as long as he goes!

And I LOVE the comment on that other web page "Packer was on fire. He was lighting it up from dumb-*** range"....classic!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:49pm
We don't rent pigs

I see his negativity as the least of Packer's problems. When we speak of negativity another hooooorrible broadcaster
comes to mind.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

It's his constant misinterpretation of the rules... that's a problem.

canuckrefguy,
I noted the rules in my reply.
mick
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Stupid Strategy (cont)

Agree with the comments on the foul to give at end of half - especially considering the bench strength. Also, with rainmaker's comment on McNamara not getting the ball. But forget the shooting - Hinrich had McNamara wrapped up so tight he was making bad decisions. Anthony was bringing the ball up because Collison was guarding him and couldn't stop him from dribbling up. They never once turned it over with Anthony bringing it up, while McNamara looked like he had totally lost it mentally.

The other one that threw me was the comment on KU trapping at the end of the game. Packer hated the move to trap, but it helped to swing momentum one last time. SU was slowing things down, was tiring, and really struggled to have a patient possession when the trapping started. The trap will either invite a quick shot or force a quick turnover. With SUs inexperience, the quick shot was a reasonalbe expectation, and KU got a couple of rebounds off some ill advised shots by SU. It put them in position to tie (along with the missed FTs - but that worked both ways!).

As for keen knowledge of rules, I loved the goaltending statement (if it when in - really?!), as well as the one about being on the rim when the ball was in the cylinder. The BI call that was made was made because Duany actually gave a second tap with the ball in the cylinder (I think Forth was the first to touch and he was legal). It was Duany's illegal tap of a ball in the cylinder that resulted in the BI call, not the hand on the rim (which was never on rim at same time as ball).

Oh well, at least we didn't have anybody travel while OOB last night
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking BTTT! 2 years later!!

Look at the number of hits on this thread!

Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 01:06am
M.A.S.H.

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!