Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevzebra
Then again you have some plays in the men's game that isn't called in the first 30 min of the game then it is called in the last 3.
Like what? I guarantee you that a men's college pre-game includes the following: "If we see a handcheck [or off-ball, or 3-seconds, or swim stroke, etc.], grab it early. Because if we let it go in the first 35 minutes, we're going to have to live with it for the last 5".

And what sort of reason do you have for making that statement anyway? I'm not being critical, I'm just curious. I don't think it's all that common, personally. But when it happens, it's very possible that it just didn't happen in the first 30 minutes of the game. So they're grabbing the first one they see, it just comes at a big point in the game.

Quote:
I am saying taking aproactive approach to calling contact can lower the potential for fouling situations.
Perhaps, but you're raising the actual fouling situations.

Quote:
The men's game is WAY too physical and needs to be reeled in a little.
I might argue with the word "WAY", but I think it probably is still too rough (nothing wrong with being physical). We're working on that. But I don't think using different mechanics will have any effect one way or another on rough play.

Chuck
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:15pm
Esteemed Participant

I would agree with Chuck on the rough play aspect - the mechanics have nothing to do with that...that's a philosophy, not a mechanics, issue...having said that, I still absolutely HATE the way the L official calls across the paint in the men's game...time after time the C is standing there looking directly at the play on his side of the key, and all of the sudden the L comes out with a call!! That bugs me, but again - as Jrut said, that's because it's not what I am used to...not right or wrong, just what I'm used to...
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

At first I thought the only reason the NCAA Women's went to NBA/WNBA mechanics was because of the WNBA officials wanted to use their mechanics to make it easy for themselves. I have since learned (in my opinion) the game is officiated better using the Women's mechanics. While i do believe there are a lot of great Men's officials, I also believe Men's side could improve their game by using the NBA mechanics. Please don't misunderstand, it not the officials, its the mechanics that need improvement.
Mechanics have very little to do with the way the game is "actually" called. It has more what makes since and what gives better coverage. The WNBA or NCAA Mechanics are a good fit for the NCAA Men's game, in my opinion. They want the Lead to cover things that do not fit the rules or the speed of the Men's game. See in the NBA, they do not have 5 second counts. The 3 Person in the Men's game was created so that the Lead could concentrate on post play. If you change to the NBA way, then you take that Lead away from the post play (which they have the best look at btw) and make them look at out of bounds plays and 3 point shots that will never be taken. The NBA can do that because there rules are different, their 3 point line is further out, the officials are full-time employees of the NBA, the review an extensive amount of video (the NBA gives every official a labtop and access to a secure website to review plays all over the league each night) and the rotation process in the WNBA and NCAA Women's does not fit because of the speed of skip passes and ball movement. I just do not think it fits.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 03:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Who in the game is complaining about the men's game being too physical?

Rich
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Who in the game is complaining about the men's game being too physical?

Rich
How about the NCAA and many Coaches. Its only POE every year. As one coach says " its prety bad when BBall players have to spend more time in the weight room then on the court just to be able to handle the rough play".
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I have to disagree.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

How about the NCAA and many Coaches. Its only POE every year. As one coach says " its prety bad when BBall players have to spend more time in the weight room then on the court just to be able to handle the rough play".
I totally disagree with that. Coaches must not be complaining too much. They are the ones telling these kids to bulk up. Even when a guy moves to the next level, they tell them, they need to bulk up to hold their own. Bulking up is not to push people around, it is to hold your ground.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Just so I understand, you are saying the ncaa does not have a POE on rough play and you are also saying the coaches havn't been complaining. umm i guess my eyes and ears realy are going bad.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Yeah, and the FED has had some of the same POEs for years. I don't even need to see next year's book to guess what next year's will be.

But there are the same guys working year after year.

You just don't hear a lot of it in the papers and on TV. And when you do hear complaints about officiating, there's always the sour grapes aspect since it comes from the losing team.

I'm not saying there's a problem, but I am saying that the only thing being done to address this "problem" is lip service.

I like the physical play at the NCAA level. It's when it intrudes on my Tuesdays and Fridays that I don't like it as much.

Rich
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I would like to offer my viewpoint to this topic, I work college womens basketball and I personally do not have a problem with the mechanics that we use. I think it is a good system when everybody on the crew takes care of their business and stays in their primary areas of court coverage. I do not see any problem with the womens college officiating system.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with John. Too many times I see Men's officials calling all over the place (usually across the paint). Also, sometimes you see the men's officials get beat very badly back, then guess at a call. One example sticks out in my mind during a UK games last year. The official had barely broken the 28 ft mark on a breakout. The UK player stripped the ball clean and was called for a foul. No longer can we say "it looked like a foul". YOu have to be sure. The mechanics are designed to put the officials close enough to the action to see the plays and the womens mechanics are superior if you ask me and the people I work with and for. If you are too old and slow to get in position anymore(it happens to us all!), please take time to reevaulate and let some younger guys have a chance!

:-)~~~~~