The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I've really begun to notice that a lot of tourney officials are not raising a fist to signal a foul. I mean on every foul they call, whether it's a hold or illegal use of hands, or whatever, they just go straight to the signal.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 09:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I agree with you there.

But it shows that mechanics or at least signal mechanics must not be a big factor in officiating ability. Hell I see so many officials in quicksand, I wish I had a penny for everytime it happen. But that is why they are there and I am watching.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

I noticed that too. It will be intresting to see if it matters as the tourney goes on. Look to see if the officials w/ the whole package (including mechanics) do the final four.
Z
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

If you wanna see some real mechanics, watch some of the women's games...
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not much to the mechanics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
If you wanna see some real mechanics, watch some of the women's games...
All you have to do is raise your arm. Just like the NBA. Not really hard to do.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

This happended last night, I think it was the Purdue - Texas game, where 1 official called a block and the other 1 called a charge. They showed an angle from under the basket looking toward mid-court and the trail official whistled and immediately pointed the other way. Never did raise his fist at any time.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Funny you should mention this:
I was in Tampa Bay on Friday watching the games. (The best two of the day!) While informing my hosts of proper officiating technique I observed the following:
1. One official, after a reach/hold on a dribbler raises his right arm, palm down about chest high in front of him. He then brings his left arm palm up and slaps his righ hand. It looked like he was describing someone getting slapped in the A%&#.
2. Saw, what I like to describe as the Monster Mash/Kilroy Was Here mechanic. On a rebound foul, the official reports the "On the back" by imitating the famous "Kilroy" cartoon, then proceeds to act like he is doing a chin up.

there were others but I eventually told my hosts, that one day I will be good enough to make up my own mechanics too!!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I also saw a blarge. Same sitch. Lead has block, Trail has charge, neither holds his primary signal. I didn't watch any of the Texas game, tho, so I know it wasn't in that game. I think it might've been the Louisville/Butler game. The officials did the right thing, tho. Double foul, go to the arrow. The announcer was Billy Packer, I think, and he was saying that the official who blew the whistle first should stick with his call and the second whistle should be disregarded

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

But the ones that I saw weren't even block/charge. They were just basic calls where the officials were just choosing to ignore the fist in the air. Even the NBA guys raise their fists.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Yup, Tony, I'm with you. I was commenting on dblref's post.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I also saw a blarge. Same sitch. Lead has block, Trail has charge, neither holds his primary signal. I didn't watch any of the Texas game, tho, so I know it wasn't in that game. I think it might've been the Louisville/Butler game. The officials did the right thing, tho. Double foul, go to the arrow. The announcer was Billy Packer, I think, and he was saying that the official who blew the whistle first should stick with his call and the second whistle should be disregarded

Chuck
I saw the Purdue double whistle. While the 2 officials huddled the announcer was saying that the first whistle wins, they just need to decide who's was first. I guess he felt the charge whistle came first 'cause that's what they went with and the announcer was happy.

Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Hey chuck and guys. I know what the book says about the double foul thing. I think there are situations that it is the correct thing, but a block/charge (true block charge, not a block/forearm shiver) should never be a double foul. Either the defense was in position and it is a 'charge' or he wasn't and it is a block. In my mind I can not see how a double foul can occur on this call. Leave it to who's area it is or who it is coming too, whichever was decided pregame and go. Now the block/forearm shiver is a different deal I can see that as a DF but I just can't swallow a true block/charge as a DF...just my thoughts, hopefully we don't get into the situation very often...
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 11:09am
Esteemed Participant

Along with the strange mechanics, has anyone else noticed any other strange things going on?? For example, officials who bend over and crouch down to "get a better look" at the play ( I guess)...I have seen that one a lot. Also, the new Trail, after a made basket, sprinting up the floor and passing the guard with the ball?? And lastly, all the guys reffing from the middle of the key - especially on drives to the basket?? I am just left shaking my head...not that they are calling bad games or anything, but good grief...one of the guys who worked Sat ( no names), was at a camp I attended last summer, and I personally watched him ream several guys for bending over to get that "good look", and then counted 7 times that he did it himself...I don't get it...
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
officials who bend over and crouch down to "get a better look" at the play ( I guess)...I have seen that one a lot. Also, the new Trail, after a made basket, sprinting up the floor and passing the guard with the ball??
Interesting that you mention these two, rocky, b/c I have been thinking the same thing. I've noticed both of these a LOT in this tournament. The "umpire's crouch" is just ridiculous, IMHO. There's no reason for it.

The same is true for the new Trail sprinting ahead of the inbounds pass. No reason for it. All it does is put you in a position where you can only see two players -- the inbounder and the "inboundee" Sure, you get into the front court quicker, but so what? There's a reason it's called the "Trail" position, guys!

I know most of us don't care about the pro philosophy, but one of the things you're "graded" on is whether you remain OOB with the inbounder until the inbound pass has been released. They want to make sure that the Trail official really trails the play, so they make him/her stand on the baseline until the ball is inbounded.

Quote:
And lastly, all the guys reffing from the middle of the key - especially on drives to the basket??
I haven't noticed this one quite so much in the tournament. They did tell us at the beginning of the year to take a couple steps into the lane and then back out again if the play came back to your side. But I don't think there was ever the intention that the official should stand in the middle of the lane to officiate the play.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
And lastly, all the guys reffing from the middle of the key - especially on drives to the basket??
I haven't noticed this one quite so much in the tournament. They did tell us at the beginning of the year to take a couple steps into the lane and then back out again if the play came back to your side. But I don't think there was ever the intention that the official should stand in the middle of the lane to officiate the play.

Chuck
Chuck, the way I got this was it is no longer strictly against the laws of nature for us to ref from there as you said - in & back out if the ball comes back - but also if you're getting a good look from under the basket don't be afraid to stay in there. I kinda like this look when the ball & 7 players are around the hoop, *if* there's enough room for me to back up a few feet.