The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

I have used Double Fouls occasionally (maybe once or twice a year) to clean up post play. It usually comes after lots of talk for me, and seems to be fairly effective.

1) Have any of you used this?
2) How early will you use it?
3) Has it ever backfired on you?

Blackhawk
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

I am a big fan of double fouls.
If it's the first call of the ball game, then fine.
What better way to send a message to both big guys, that "we're not playing this way today!"
Has it backfired? In what way?
Occasionally I've called a double foul, where one player picks a fourth or fifth foul, while the other one has one or two.
That makes me feel guilty in a way, but I usually get over it.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I have used Double Fouls occasionally (maybe once or twice a year) to clean up post play. It usually comes after lots of talk for me, and seems to be fairly effective.

1) Have any of you used this?
2) How early will you use it?
3) Has it ever backfired on you?

Blackhawk
Blackhawk,
I haven't done that in a long time.
I talk.
Then, I talk again.
Then, if I get a chance to talk to both post players during a dead ball, that's when they usually hear me best.
Then I start looking for the next legitimate single foul.
mick
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've used it in the past. Not very often, tho. I think I called one last season and none this season. I like the double foul if play has really deteriorated in the post. But I would much prefer to "get the first one". If I get the first one right away, then I usually don't have to worry about it becoming a wrestling match. Sometimes, the guys are just stupid or don't like each other and you have to call it that way. But my personal preference is to catch it earlier, if at all possible.

Has it ever backfired? No. There was one time, however, where the double foul still wasn't enough to settle the situation and I ended up T'ing one of the players. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with the double foul call.

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Mick,

Your approach reflects my past experiences with talking players out of these rassling matches. After 2 or 3 conversations, you still have to put a whistle on somebody. Now, I skip the verbal warnings. Like you, I try to find the main culprit instead of a double foul.

Mulk
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Mick,

Your approach reflects my past experiences with talking players out of these rassling matches. After 2 or 3 conversations, you still have to put a whistle on somebody. Now, I skip the verbal warnings. Like you, I try to find the main culprit instead of a double foul.

Mulk
I should add that the only time I talk to them is when the players are "not quite fouling yet".
If there's definite illegal contact in the first minutes of the game, I give 'em "Fox Talk".

Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Mick,

Mulk
I should add that the only time I talk to them is when the players are "not quite fouling yet".
If there's definite illegal contact in the first minutes of the game, I give 'em "Fox Talk".

Mick,

If I understand you correctly, you and I call the foul at about the same time - I just have dispensed with the talking. It doesn't work for me. But, I can tell that you are a lot smoother than I am.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I guess we need to remember when to call the double foul.

In the last few minutes of play does not do any good as we have allowed it throughout the game.

I like to call the double foul early to let the posts know what I will or will not allow.

I ensure that I recognize it early, talk to the players a few time to try to difuse.

If it continues then a double foul it is and will continue to be until they understand what they are doing wrong.

Usually after the first Double Foul the post play cleans up.

Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Last resort thing for me to lasso a couple of wild horses in the post. Like Mick, usually try to talk them down during the play, and if that fails, call one of them.

I find the key sometimes is to call the offensive foul if it's there. A hook, back-in dislodge, lean, whatever disadvantages the defender. If the offensive player doesn't initiate, the defender's less likely to have those "survival instincts" kick in.

Of course, lots of times it's the defender initiating...

Bottom line, if you can't talk 'em down, nail one of 'em. Setting the standard early in the game is key also.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In principle, I agree with Drake about double fouls. But everyone around here knows you dont use them much at all if you want to move up, because our assignor doesn't like them. So I've learned to manage without, pretty much the way others do. The trick is to get the first one, even if it's small. If they're bumping and grinding and not responding to your words, call the first little ticky-tack thing, since you know it's leading to worse every time. If they keep guarding each other, call it on the other person next time. If they get switched (smart coach), watch both pairs for a few trips to see how those match-ups work out. Talk, talk, talk to partner about what's happening. Clean it up in the first quarter. All of this assumes they're both guilty. Be very sure it's not the same person initiating everytime.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Talking

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Mick,

Mulk

Mick,

If I understand you correctly, you and I call the foul at about the same time - I just have dispensed with the talking. It doesn't work for me. But, I can tell that you are a lot smoother than I am.
ronny,
I dunno about the "smooth" characterization.
What drives me more than anything, regarding talking or not, is probably the idea of "flow control".

And, too, if I have been talking to 'em, they shouldn't be surprised when I ding 'em.

mick
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
In principle, I agree with Drake about double fouls. But everyone around here knows you dont use them much at all if you want to move up, because our assignor doesn't like them.
What are you talking about? I have no objection to the calling of double fouls.

Oh, wait - you mean your other assignor.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Talk first.

Very early in my career I used this tactic. But I have since gotten away from it. I much more talk early on and if they do not listen I call the first foul that takes place.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I try talking to the post players first, then I will pull them aside if it continues and talk to them again, then I will use the "double-foul" approach when it is warranted, however I do try to watch the whole play and find the player that is causing the problem.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 03:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've never called a double foul.

I have called one at one end and then called one at the other end the very next possession. Does that count? Is this a false double foul?

Rich