The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, so what ARE the lane violation rules in NCAA and NBA?

I know the theory is that it's okay to step in after release, but they don't seem to call it no matter how bald-faced the violation is, and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason, they call it. I'm not criticizing, just confused.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 02:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Basically the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, so what ARE the lane violation rules in NCAA and NBA?

I know the theory is that it's okay to step in after release, but they don't seem to call it no matter how bald-faced the violation is, and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason, they call it. I'm not criticizing, just confused.
NF and NCAA Rules are almost identical. The NF rules were changed to basically mirror the NCAA rule on FT. The only major difference is what happens on the release of course.

I cannot speak for the NBA at all. But I believe it is basically the same as far as I have witnessed.

I did see a lane violation called in the Big Ten Tournament this weekend. A defensive player stepped in too early and the FT was missed.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Did you see the FT disconcertion call with 31.7 seconds left in regulation against #42 from UNC Asheville tonight?
He was in the low block on the C's side. He was waving his hand while the shooter prepared to shoot the second of three. It appears he was trying to get his coach's attention to ask if he wanted a time-out, since he made a T signal with his hands after the waving.
After the shot was missed, the C came in and talked to the lead and a substitute throw was awarded.
I have little doubt that the C made this call.
I would like to commend this official. This was a good call and a big call, since Texas Southern was able to force OT. Someone who taped the game could tell us what his name is.
I do have to ask if it was his call though. In NFHS this is the Lead's call, since the player was in the lowest lane-space. Is NCAA different on this mechanic?
Lastly, even if it wasn't his call, he stepped up and made the right call: to me that is more important.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

I know that it seems to take an act of Congress to get a lane violation called in the NBA. But it WAS actually a point of emphasis this season.
The rule is different from others.
First of all, the violator is given the opportunity to get back to a legal position BEFORE the shot is released.
If he/she (WNBA) does, then no violation.
Also, since there is no violation until the ball is released, you often see players taking a lane space AFTER the ball is placed at the shooters disposal. Perfectly legal.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Basically the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
NF and NCAA Rules are almost identical. The NF rules were changed to basically mirror the NCAA rule on FT.
Yup. Oh yeah, except that in NCAA, the players can step in on the release, instead of waiting for the shot to hit something. Oh, and also, the low player on each side of the lane can stand on the "block" in NCAA. Can't do that in HS. That's it really. Oh, and in NCAA, nobody can stand in the spot immediately adjacent to the FT line. I guess in HS that's different.

Like Jeff said, almost identical.

And that's just the MEN'S differences. . .

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

But other than that.......
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Did you see the FT disconcertion call with 31.7 seconds left in regulation against #42 from UNC Asheville tonight?
He was in the low block on the C's side. He was waving his hand while the shooter prepared to shoot the second of three. It appears he was trying to get his coach's attention to ask if he wanted a time-out, since he made a T signal with his hands after the waving.
After the shot was missed, the C came in and talked to the lead and a substitute throw was awarded.
I saw that and I think it was a good call. UNCA-42 was waving his hands on the miss before that. I thought he was faking the T with his hands to disconcert the shooter AND have an excuse when the official called him on it ("But sir, I was just asking my coach if he wanted a timeout!").

Maybe I'm giving him too much (not enough?) credit.

The shooter made the replacement throw and TSU ended up forcing OT so it ended up being a big call.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I do have to ask if it was his call though. In NFHS this is the Lead's call, since the player was in the lowest lane-space. Is NCAA different on this mechanic?
Lastly, even if it wasn't his call, he stepped up and made the right call: to me that is more important.
Center has same side players, the shooter, the flight and the score.

Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Center has same side players, the shooter, the flight and the score.

I have heard this from my friends who work some college ball, but I have never understood how an official can see whether or not a player's foot breaks the lane-line plane when he is standing behind him. I believe that he HS way of looking opposite is clearly better.
I would welcome hearing the arguments for merits of the NCAA mechanic.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
I saw that and I think it was a good call. UNCA-42 was waving his hands on the miss before that. I thought he was faking the T with his hands to disconcert the shooter AND have an excuse when the official called him on it ("But sir, I was just asking my coach if he wanted a timeout!").

Maybe I'm giving him too much (not enough?) credit.

The shooter made the replacement throw and TSU ended up forcing OT so it ended up being a big call.
Coach,
I agree with you. I did think that the waving of the hands was not as pronounced on the first shot. It did catch my attention though.
You might remember that I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about a player clapping in the low block during a critical free throw in a state championship game. I asserted that I would have called disconcertion there. It hardens my resolve to see this call made in the NCAA tourney. Even though we all know it isn't a true NCAA tournament game.
Hey, why don't they just have four play-in games? Have one for each region and the winner of each one plays the #1 seed. Then we can invite 68 teams. They could even give automatic bids to these games to teams that win the regular season of a smaller conference and then lose in the conference tourney. Just an idea.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have heard this from my friends who work some college ball, but I have never understood how an official can see whether or not a player's foot breaks the lane-line plane when he is standing behind him. I believe that he HS way of looking opposite is clearly better.
I would welcome hearing the arguments for merits of the NCAA mechanic.
If the player breaks the plane by enough / early enough to make the call, you can see it from your side.

The advantage is that the officials are looking at the same players throughout the play -- before the shot (lane violations) and after (rebounding).

In NFHS, the official needs to look across the lane for lane violations and then switch to the closer side for rebounding action.