The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is at the line and Player A1 makes his second free throw. This happened the other day at a men's adult rec league, and we play by high school rules.

After the 2nd free-throw, which is made, team A calls a time-out, even through team B is taking the ball out of bounds. Is this proper? When can't a time-out be called, only after a made basket by the non-inbounding team?

Later in the same game, same setup, Team A makes its second free-throw after a shooting foul. Team B is taking the ball out of bounds. The coach from Team A yells "Sub" (yes, we're very state-of-the-art in this league), and my partner allows the substitution. The coach from Team B argues this is improper as they are taking the ball out of bounds. Is this proper or not?

Thanks for your attention to this question.

Greg

Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
Team A is at the line and Player A1 makes his second free throw. This happened the other day at a men's adult rec league, and we play by high school rules.

After the 2nd free-throw, which is made, team A calls a time-out, even through team B is taking the ball out of bounds. Is this proper? When can't a time-out be called, only after a made basket by the non-inbounding team?

Later in the same game, same setup, Team A makes its second free-throw after a shooting foul. Team B is taking the ball out of bounds. The coach from Team A yells "Sub" (yes, we're very state-of-the-art in this league), and my partner allows the substitution. The coach from Team B argues this is improper as they are taking the ball out of bounds. Is this proper or not?

Thanks for your attention to this question.

Greg

Depends on what you mean by "Team B is taking the ball out". If B clearly has started the throw-in then it's too late in both cases. Otherwise proper and common procedure to call a timeout or sub after the last made free throw. Complication is exactly when the throw-in starts is more-or-less a judgement call. If B has the ball & is heading out of bounds for the throw-in I'll grant the timeout or bring in the sub, usually.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Perhaps your complainers were thinking they were in an NBA game. NBA rules do not allow substitutions after the last FT, even if it is made. Also, the scoring team is not allowed to take a TO (Questions & Answers, #351).

However, by Fed rules, Dan is absolutely right.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 05:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Depends on what you mean by "Team B is taking the ball out". If B clearly has started the throw-in then it's too late in both cases. Otherwise proper and common procedure to call a timeout or sub after the last made free throw. Complication is exactly when the throw-in starts is more-or-less a judgement call. If B has the ball & is heading out of bounds for the throw-in I'll grant the timeout or bring in the sub, usually.
Dan,
I am comfortable using the fact that once the ball is at the disposal of the in-throwing team:
  • 1. I am counting to five
  • 2. B cannot be granted a time-out

Thus, if I'm counting... no.
    If I'm wating ... yes.
    Keeping it simple.

mick